E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Lowering question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by h0rn3t920
im going to get the springs and shocks installed soon on #3 or 4 pads. Anyway should i get the camber arms and the repair bolts installed with the springs and shocks to save work later down the line or is it pointless and should i wait until the springs settle? Is it nessesary to get an alignment after the spring and shocks are installed?

I Would let the suspension settle..Then Align it

Its not much work to install the rear bars and front bolts
Old 11-22-2008, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E420
Originally Posted by deadernie
...would like to hear about peoples experience with driveways and speed bumps and stuff like that. My Mustang is lowered 1.5 and some speed bumps are a real pain and my driveway is a bit tricky. Its a dirt road and gets washed out by the rain.
I've had mine lowered for 4 weeks now, but be warned, someone on the board claims I'm an idiot- if true, at least I'm an one who (i) went to college, grad school, (ii) services his own Jaguar, Porsche and E420 Mercedes, and (iii) made the appropriate choices to get to point (ii). Here are my very positive results:

The car has only rubbed the bottom at the wheel well once when I was speeding and hit a parking lot entry too fast. Normal driving has improved greatly. Aside from the performance, the lowered look is simply more pleasing to the eye..., so says this idiot...

http://www.evozine.com/benz/monoblock2.jpg

Car: 97 E420
Wheels: AMG monoblock II's, 18 x 8” ET31 front, 18 x 9” ET35 rear
Tires: Sumitomo HTR ZII's; - front 245/40/18, rear 275/35/18
Susp: stock springs; Cut 1 full coil front, cut 3/4 coil rear
Bilstein HD (heavy duty) shocks.

Last edited by E420White; 11-22-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:21 AM

96 e320, 91 Eagle Talon, 98 SVT Cobra, 74 MGB-GT, 74 TR6
That's good to know. Yours looks good but I don't think I want to go quite that low. My driveway being a big limiting factor. I think I'm going to get some nicer wheels first and see what that looks like. Some roads around my are suck and it's good to have the suspension travel and not bottoming out the suspension.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:16 PM

97 E420 W210, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon
Hey if i lower the car would i definitely have to roll my fenders? can anyone tell me a ballpark price for rolling fenders?
Old 12-02-2008, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
If you're mechanically inclined, it's not a hard job to do yourself. I had replaced all of the suspension components myself, never getting into such a job before and it wasn't bad at all. All that you would need is to borrow or buy an internal spring compressor to remove and install the front springs. Replacing the shocks was cake. The rear springs are easily removed by removed the inner most bolt next to the rear differential and lowering the arms down with a jack to let the spring essentially fall out. It's not hard at all. Lensolo is aware of the potential insert issue for the '97 model year if you need to purchase the rear camber arms to correct any camber issues that may come about.

Sooo..... if you like the car and plan on holding onto it for some time and will do the labor yourself, it's a no brainer. As far as the camber replacement bolts up front, it's just a set of bolts that you can pick up from the stealer and install them yourself. I replace my bolts when I installed new lower control arms....
Old 12-02-2008, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
To date, I haven't noticed any rubbing issues and I have not rolled my fenders.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:17 PM

2002 E430 Sport
Originally Posted by michakaveli
To date, I haven't noticed any rubbing issues and I have not rolled my fenders.

same here. 2k miles and no rubbing or tire wear.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:50 PM

1991 SC Miata, 1999 W210 Estate Wagon
Tire rubbing can depend on several things, namely the offset of your wheels, the tires' overall width, how much you drop the car, etc. You won't know if you'll need it until you've done the mod (because any combination of these things also affect rubbing). Let's just say that this is based on my own personal experience.

PS: Do the camber correction. Your tires will wear out from the inside... it's almost inevitable. I bought my wider wheels in June and the rear tires only lasted 10k (they would have lasted 4x more if I hadn't chewed up the inside). The front tires are still okay (with a pronounced inner wear... they're spares at this point). Don't wait til your tires blow out (like mine did). You can't tell tire wear in 2K miles either.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:38 PM

2003 E500 Sport, 1999 ML430 & Regal 402 Commodore
Can anyone forward me Lensolo's contact info? After researching most of the options available, I think his product appears like the best option. His and Speedybenz are fully adjustable replacement arms, but Lensolo's are made out of stainless steel where Speedy's are not.

I'd like to order a set of his camber rods. I hope he's worked out the W211's by now. Thanks...Roy
Old 12-04-2008, 02:07 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by Benzo1999
Can anyone forward me Lensolo's contact info? After researching most of the options available, I think his product appears like the best option. His and Speedybenz are fully adjustable replacement arms, but Lensolo's are made out of stainless steel where Speedy's are not.

I'd like to order a set of his camber rods. I hope he's worked out the W211's by now. Thanks...Roy
I emailed him last week and he said he was in Thailand. If you follow current events, I think he'll be stuck there for a while. Anyhoo, I did get a set from SpeedyBenz and they are just as cool. Give Jeff a ring. My experience with his promptness was way different from other people in this forum... I got my part in 3 working days.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Originally Posted by ron m.
I emailed him last week and he said he was in Thailand. If you follow current events, I think he'll be stuck there for a while. Anyhoo, I did get a set from SpeedyBenz and they are just as cool. Give Jeff a ring. My experience with his promptness was way different from other people in this forum... I got my part in 3 working days.

I sent an email to SpeedyBenz a while ago about some camber arms, never heard back so I went through Lensolo.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by michakaveli
I sent an email to SpeedyBenz a while ago about some camber arms, never heard back so I went through Lensolo.
I hear yah... I did a search on the arms and got a lot of negative feedback from the posts in terms of response. I took a gamble anyway, since the worst that I heard was that he took time but eventually delivered. Well, let's just say my gamble paid off... I'm installing these arms and the camber bolts this weekend.

I would have bought from a forum member here but that probably would have been more of a risk. Oh, and Lensolo did respond immediately after I emailed him. He's out of the country and I just can't wait. His work is nice, though. But in the in the end, no one gets to see his art work because it's underneath the car.