E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Suspension Problem...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension Problem...

Hey All, I've encountered a problem with my suspension.. I drive a 2000 E430 with 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 wheels and I recently purchased H&R Sport Springs and Bilstein HD Shocks. After the suspension was installed, I can see the difference in the rear, however for the front, it looks exactly the same before the drop, almost as if it didn't even lower... Any type of feedback will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks for your time,

-Chay
Old 10-27-2008, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
You

need sport shocks,shorter travel.And play with pad numbers.You have 16mm of adjustment in fine tuning between the #1 pad and the #5 pads
part numbers on benzworld.org w210 diy section or search out raymonds posts on pads.It will also take some time for all the parts to settle in.
Be sure to get it aligned,when you are happy with the final ride height.

At least that's what I hearsay
Old 10-27-2008, 09:23 AM
ETP
Almost a Member!

98 E320 99 E430 w/mods
Originally Posted by chaydakis
Hey All, I've encountered a problem with my suspension.. I drive a 2000 E430 with 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 wheels and I recently purchased H&R Sport Springs and Bilstein HD Shocks. After the suspension was installed, I can see the difference in the rear, however for the front, it looks exactly the same before the drop, almost as if it didn't even lower... Any type of feedback will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks for your time,

-Chay
I used a MB#1 pad in the front and #4 pad on the rear. HR springs / Koni adjustable shocks 18" rims. It looks low...but not crazy. Check the pad size. I also agree with the great one check the type of shock.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Almost a Member!

MB E420T
hi, not that i want to hijack this post, but still on topic and dealing with people who have the real-life experience.
Need to change front shocks, question: bilstein (black, supposed to be "heavy duty"), VS Koni (red, supposed to be adjustable).
what are your views on this? price difference is not that much....
thx guys
Old 10-27-2008, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by ohlord
need sport shocks,shorter travel.And play with pad numbers.You have 16mm of adjustment in fine tuning between the #1 pad and the #5 pads
part numbers on benzworld.org w210 diy section or search out raymonds posts on pads.It will also take some time for all the parts to settle in.
Be sure to get it aligned,when you are happy with the final ride height.

At least that's what I hearsay
thank you ohlord
I just looked into the pads on benzworld.org, very easy to find.
thanks again
Old 10-27-2008, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by ETP
I used a MB#1 pad in the front and #4 pad on the rear. HR springs / Koni adjustable shocks 18" rims. It looks low...but not crazy. Check the pad size. I also agree with the great one check the type of shock.
would you mind sharing some pics? and thank you for the feedback!
Old 10-28-2008, 12:30 AM

1997 E420
comments...

Just a few comments:

-I would verify that the front installation was done properly, make sure that the spring is set in the correct position in the spring perch
-I also noticed that my entire suspension raised slightly after installing Billstein HD's, but the HR springs should have brought your the car back down.
-Per the previous posters, verify your spring pad sizes
-Wait for the car to completely settle, my car dropped a little more after a week or so---see photo...
Attached Thumbnails Suspension Problem...-lowered1.jpg  
Old 10-28-2008, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
HD's

are stock shock length.Bilstein Sports are stock valving and about an inch shorter travel to help make up for less rebound of the shorter spring.
Eibach claims that their springs can be mated up to oem shocks,they are a little more forgiving ride wise so that may be the case.
Inspect your spring perches while down there,not much sense installing all that neat new stuff only to have it all fall apart from a failed perch
Old 10-28-2008, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by E420White
Just a few comments:

-I would verify that the front installation was done properly, make sure that the spring is set in the correct position in the spring perch
-I also noticed that my entire suspension raised slightly after installing Billstein HD's, but the HR springs should have brought your the car back down.
-Per the previous posters, verify your spring pad sizes
-Wait for the car to completely settle, my car dropped a little more after a week or so---see photo...
Yea, I thought that the springs would've dropped the car significantly but it appears that it has not. I was also told to let my car settle in as well, i will wait it out until the end of this week to see what happens, hopefully it drops I will provide pics with my car at the end of the weekend.

thank you again for the feedback!
Old 10-28-2008, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by ohlord
are stock shock length.Bilstein Sports are stock valving and about an inch shorter travel to help make up for less rebound of the shorter spring.
Eibach claims that their springs can be mated up to oem shocks,they are a little more forgiving ride wise so that may be the case.
Inspect your spring perches while down there,not much sense installing all that neat new stuff only to have it all fall apart from a failed perch
will double check and keep you updated, again thanks!