E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

NEED a POSI DIFFERENTIAL LIMITED SLIP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 02:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 E220T CDI Avantgarde, 2002 E55T AMG
what's wrong with a diesel engine?
Old 11-12-2008, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Absolutely nothing. But you would have to agree that if you wanted a car that you could take turns fast, and accelerate hard from a stop, a 210, and even more so, a 210td with 175bhp would not be the first choice?

When is a posi importantly?

1. When leaving a stop under heavy throttle.
2. Coming out of a turn under heavy throttle.

I see no need to do either with a 210, especially when the original poster has a sports car in the garage.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W210 W140
Actually, a limited slip diff would be nice with the diesel engine. My E300 runs terribly in the snow when I don't have my snow tires on. Also, I have kicked the rear end out a little when taking corners. Although it doesn't really happen a lot because I don't drive my car hard. But, the added control in snow conditions would be nice.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:41 PM

E300DT
Thankyou EdzBenz

Nice to see that some people here see the glass as half full. If I need to be clearer about that, how about "with a possitive or at least helpfull outlook".
Oliverk, when did I say that I was looking to drive it like an adolescent, take fast turns etc? I did say that under hard acceleration it's not too difficult for the car to loose traction from the open differential. Yes, at time I do accelerate hard , so that I guess means everyone who has ever even been in a rush drives like a child. I'll admit that seeing what the car can do, I have forced the car and it did spin a single wheel. I also mentioned that on previous vehicles I had with limited slip differentials, at times driving in adverse conditions sometime it's fun to have a LSD. Coming from someone with a 700RWHP Cobra I'd figure that you could understand this. Do you drive like an adolescent? or to be nice about it, say it snowed out. There is nothing around and no other cars. You never put your foot down a little more than needed just to kick the tail of it out a little, controlable ofcourse?
I had said that I bought it for several reasons, economy being one of them, longevity the other. Even though I needed a vehicle with better economy, it's hard to go from a quick fun to drive sports car to a considerably slower one. That's where the tune came in, since then the wheel spin issue arose. What if I opened this post not mentioning any performance issues, and only noted wheel spin on poor road conditions? Would the remarks have been the same? I simply want a little more grip out of the two rear wheels.

I have done more looking around and have found out some interesting things. Although it does not seem to be common knowledge, Mercedes did give some E320's a loose limited slip. I have found two of them in a dismantle yard. Mine is a totally open differential, which I have found many of. With my vehicle jacked up, while rotating one wheel, the oposite wheel spins the reverse direction. This indicates a totally open diff. The loose limited slips that I found from W210 models, both wheels turned in the same direction, but either wheel could easily be held back allowing only one to turn.
If I can not get a tight LSD (posi) which I don't believe I will find one from an earlier bodied W124 or W201, I will get one of these loose ones from a W210. I feel that now after finding these diff's, people here who have been asking "why I need one" since the ASR sort of does the same kind of job. Might have been under a false assumption thinking that all "E's" are totally open diff's. I would believe that the combination of one of these loose limited slips and the ASR system would result in an improvement over what I have now.

Lowflyingbird
Old 11-16-2008, 04:51 PM

W210
I have to agree with the original poster. I would love to have a posi in my 420. I hate when the car one legs (only spins one tire). I have driven mostly rwd cars (trans ams, mustangs, 300zx, 540i) and love having a v8 + posi. I know these cars are luxury cars, comfortable,etc but i rip on this car just like all my others. You guys would **** if you saw my first & second gear posi strips (it grabs sometimes.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:53 AM

New buyer
Originally Posted by Oliverk
If you were loooking to drive like an adolescent, why the hell would you buy a diesel mercedes?

Go get a 335i BMW or something.

And thats coming from the owner of a 700rwhp cobra.
Nice... Insult and then brag about your other toy. Got a timeslip for that cobra, or do you just run it on the dyno?
Old 11-20-2008, 06:48 PM

Phantom grip did my lsd install for $500. I sent them a diff I picked up from a mercedes junkyard, they machined a lsd block out, and sent it back. I asked for EXTREME springs which can be 50-75% lock depending on the cars wieght. My car powers through the snow and can drift like no other. The noises from the turbo make it all the sweeter Sustained drifts, circle drifts, two wheel burnouts, etc. are easily attained. My car has no ETC "off" button, so I put a on/off switch on the relay wire.

Definately not a hookin car with the biggish turbo on the motor lol Bad tune down low killed the NA acceleration on this car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHJfTVeXNAk

Originally Posted by Phantomgrip
Yes you can send us the diffs and we can make fitment on them. The cost would be 499.95.

You can send the diffs to:

Phantom Grip
6346 Lantana Rd Suite 65
Lake Worth, FL 33463

Please be sure to include make model and year of vehicle as well as contact information.

Max Hughes wrote:

Their are a lot of mercedes guys in the US and in england questioning the prices of the kleemann LSD which is a direct match to your design. Kleemann charges thousands for this setup and a lot of mercedes guys with w210 and 211 chassis E320's, E430's, and E55's are showing a lot of interest in your products. I myself have a turbocharged E320 running 10 psi and making just under 450 hp. It is a beast and but its open diff hampers its potential. Long story short: I have a spare E320 diff and if at all possible I would like to know if you could machine one of your LSD's for it and the cost. Also several members of www.mbworld.org have E55's and are still looking for an LSD and are also very interested in your products. One member also has a spare diff he would donate without question.

Last edited by Max Hughes; 11-20-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 e320, 91 Eagle Talon, 98 SVT Cobra, 74 MGB-GT, 74 TR6
I must say a LSD would be great because leaving my driveway (which is uphill heading toward the road) in the rain is a pain. The car seems pretty light in the rear. If I can keep the car rolling it's no problem but if I have to stop it spins trying to get the car moving again. I guess I'll be parking this one when it snows.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Put

it in W mode up that ramp.That is what the button is for
Old 11-22-2008, 03:13 PM

E300DT
$500 GREAT!!

I was unsure about the Phantom Grip units looking at them. But now that I see someone using them I'll give them a try.
I just picked up an E320 differential to install into my E300. This would allow me to still use my car, while my diff is being converted. It would also allow me to keep my 3.07 gears.

If anyone else is interested in doing this conversion. The yard who had the diffs told me that if I take two of them, he would sell me a pair for $100.
So I bought two of them, I can sell one $50 plus shipping to anyone wanting one. They are both from 97 E320s with 2.87 gears. Once I would get my origional diff back, I'd sell the second E320 diff as well. I figured anyone thinking about doing this, but could not have their car out of commission might be interested.

Lowflyingbird
Old 12-03-2008, 01:57 AM

If your talking about the w/s button next to the shifter. . . sorry, I don't have one. Was that an option or did it arrive after 1996?
Old 12-06-2008, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
It

was standard on the 722.6 5speed electronic control transmissions.
The earlier trans in conditions like you describe just shift into 2nd gear going up that ramp,less torque to thw wheels less spin up the ramp.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Originally Posted by Lancelot
Quote: "I know about the electronic ASR system, which is BS. It actually brakes or cuts power to the driveline. I do not want to kill power to my rear wheels, I just want better traction under hard throttle. I already drive most of the time with that switch off."

About ASR:
First of all I highly doubt you drive with that switch off most of the time cuz the big lighted yellow triangle in the speedometer is annoying as hell.

Second of all, ASR helped me and my family safely out of a blown tyre happening at 140km/h (close to 90Miles) a few weeks ago. We were actually telling eachother 'what a bad road condition overhere' when I noticed the ASR light was on. (!) Have fun with your hard traction in case this happens to you. Not everyone is a licensed rallydriver you know...

What is ASR? Is that like ESP??
Old 12-07-2008, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by jaak
Nice... Insult and then brag about your other toy. Got a timeslip for that cobra, or do you just run it on the dyno?
its not a drag car boss. More like a road race car
Old 12-08-2008, 03:01 AM

All too familiar with putting in 2nd to get a little less torque to the wheels. Grew up with mile long driveway that never got plowed and now have about 90ft of uphill to get in the driveway and about 40ft of pretty steep uphill to get out and nowhere to really gain alot of momentum in between. Put a LSD in my 2wd Ranger to be able to get to work when things get bad. There are just some times that nothing beats both wheels putting the power down. Really miss my 2000 Impreza RS on those winter days.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real

winter tires also help greatly.They make a rwd w210 a bunch nicer in the snow.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Winter tires do help greatly with better bite, limited slip much better, AWD is best with good winter tires, amazing payoff. Once had Jeep Cherokee LTD with open rear but with 4WD. Open diffs in front and back so only two opposite wheels derived power. Pulling boulders on lose gravel tough and on beach on Cape Cod, MA., was ok but not deep sand. Next ordered Jeep Cherekee LTD with posi rear, ABS and ARB air locker in front diff. The red beasty would walk up uneven rock walls in the forest and rarely used the Warn 8000p hidden front bumper winch. This was serious forest crawling in Northern Maine. Here in Westen PA, in these cars for bad cold weather our experience has been 4matic with good quality snow treads is the way to go. We drive from PA into Canada frequently and through the Lake Erie snow effect (read white out with high way drifts) and Buffalo, the 211 4matic out performs our Odyssey front drive van. I would not chance the limited slip wagon we have either in that weather for the numerous treks we make. But it is still a better option than an open rear diff I believe. Just my experience and OMHO. I do not have experience with the TCS that MB uses with their open rear diffs as have not had that set up. How well does power transfer left to right with a slipping rear wheel? Just curious.

Last edited by ejsheltra; 12-08-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:09 AM

New buyer
Open Diff = Less expensive to manufacture.

Can't think of another reason to have an open diff... I heard Eaton might be working on something.