E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

1st post ever, want to buy mercedes this week

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E320
Thumbs up just reply...to oliverk

If ford and gm and honda are good,they will not send people on laid off what I saw on the news ,which means that nobody buying that junk car(not even rock stars)even new they are so ugly no taste and engine is made of so cheap material (stock car),a lot of emission sensors that you have to replace down the road.

That is main reason why most guys adding after market parts in those cars to make them look better and close to MB.But if you look any MB OEM stuff on it are soo cool that you do not have to go aftermarket parts to prove something.

Street credit is not like in that movie f & f it is real respect of other drivers around.MB is not ment to be racing car it is ment to be safe and reliable car with outstanding look,and yes if you thing it is not eye catcher you are wrong more people will turn head for older MB than for the new one, because they like to see prestige condition after many years and 2nd thing they now that new cars are overpriced ,and for people who like to flash money and not know much about their own car because they do not care ...money will fix problem why should they know what is under hood.
question is why throw money away for new MB when you can save a lot more $$$ buying good quality used one.
that is my opinion you are different like all of us so I am not expecting you to share my opinion.
Still i respect all of you.....but bottom line ford ,gm,and honda are JUNK for me .

p.s. if you feel like rock star you are rock star dont worry to much what other think.....be your self.

happy new year to alllll DONT DRINK AND DRIVE
Old 01-01-2009, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 422 Likes on 348 Posts
MB’s
I would go for the 2002 E430. Good car the W210.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by e320avangarde
If ford and gm and honda are good,they will not send people on laid off what I saw on the news ,which means that nobody buying that junk car(not even rock stars)even new they are so ugly no taste and engine is made of so cheap material (stock car),a lot of emission sensors that you have to replace down the road.

That is main reason why most guys adding after market parts in those cars to make them look better and close to MB.But if you look any MB OEM stuff on it are soo cool that you do not have to go aftermarket parts to prove something.

and yes if you thing it is not eye catcher you are wrong more people will turn head for older MB than for the new one, because they like to see prestige condition after many years and 2nd thing they now that new cars are overpriced ,and for people who like to flash money and not know much about their own car because they do not care ...money will fix problem why should they know what is under hood.
question is why throw money away for new MB when you can save a lot more $$$ buying good quality used one.
that is my opinion you are different like all of us so I am not expecting you to share my opinion.
Still i respect all of you.....but bottom line ford ,gm,and honda are JUNK for me .

p.s. if you feel like rock star you are rock star dont worry to much what other think.....be your self.

happy new year to alllll DONT DRINK AND DRIVE
Sales do not necessarily equal a good car. GM sells about 5 times as many cars as Mercedes, which by your logic would mean that MB is junk. Furthermore, layoffs have affected every car maker on the planet as we are in a global downturn. MB sales were off something like 40% in the 4th quarter.

Engine is made of cheap material? You may want to do some research, because Ford and Honda engines are known to be quite reliable. They are made from the same aluminum and steel as the engine in your mercedes. While you may be referencing the forged pistons and rods in your 112, they are completely unnecessary in a 220bhp V6. A new honda V6 puts out about 50bhp more than the MB plant in your car.

Lot of emissions sensors? Every car with ob2 has emissions sensors and typically has the same amount. That has nothing to do with brand.

People add aftermarket parts to hondas to make them look more like mercedes? Uh, not were Im from. They go for the JDM tuner drifter look around here, not the mercedes look. Must be a cultural difference.

More people look at old benzes than new ones? again, must be different where you are from. If you were to drive a brand new E350 down park ave, you will 100% get more attention than a 99 E320. Then again, neither car will generate any interest because they are so horribly common and nobody cares about a mid level mercedes that any schlump with $600 a month can drive.

to be honest, it doesn't seem like you have any idea whats under the hood of your own car, so where does that leave us?

Im glad you like your mercedes. I like mine as well, but they are no longer the only quality automobile on the road, and for quite a few years, the quality was dismal.

If you want to feel like a rockstar in your e320, thats your perogative. Id rather do the business tycoon thing, but again, thats personal preference.

happy new year.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:10 AM

1999 E320
Thumbs up yes happy new year to you too

I think you are in wrong forum,because you like more ford,honda ,chevy ..
than MB.
One more thing :on the junk yard you will find sh###t load of fords,chevys,hondas, but not MB because most of them are running and they are still on the road.

Another thing ,why insurance company considering MB best car in category body injury (rating #1)because it is well design car and not like ford small fander bender and you need neck massage for months.
Any way I am not trying to argue here ,just thinking out loud,I do like my MB like you like yours but you have to stop supporting other cars because i am telling you they are junk.
I know that because i saw what kind of materials has been used .Was working for few companies as programmer and you can not prove that i am wrong.(Job is job)
MB is the best so far on parts OEM.

so that is main reason we all enjoy in them.

PS designers of MB having great style and every MB model is so good that it can not be compared to any of ford,honda or similar junk cars.Simple as that it has no competition. Beside that you will noticed that ford taurus stole look of MB .Other cars maker try to get close to MB,,but only one car ...and I do say only one car (my opinion)can bit MB look and that is Italian designers .........Lamborgini Diablo.(I know it is a bit more money but looks a bit more sexy than MB)

that is my opinion and we are definitly diferent but still shearing same passion .....we are still driving MB.

.....have great day buddy
Old 01-07-2009, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
I give up.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:23 PM

'99 E430, '05 ML500, '15 GLK350
Did FJS ever close the deal on his Stuttgarter Steed?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
01 E320
I think he abandoned this thread weeks ago
Old 01-10-2009, 03:39 PM

E420
in jersey i have bought 4 W124 E300 cars W/ around 100,000 no rust no damage and drove home they get 20 to the gallon its a straight 6 and they are very cheap right now i did not pay more than 1000 bucks for any and friends say bull but go shopping its real good -- no car payment for the first 2 years will be a gift -- BTW -- jz
Old 01-11-2009, 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Oliver

"A new honda V6 puts out about 50bhp more than the MB plant in your car."
You neglect to mention that that is achieved at a peaky 1000 rpm more for the hp and almost 3000 rpm more for peak torque in the honda.The old 320 gets just as good mpg and with a torque curve coming in at a much lower rpm the old w210 will kill a honda,I know ou are not into that sort of thing,but I don't see many hondas out racing me on track days,they run and hide.
And you could buy 3 nice 210s for the price of 1 v6 honda.
you could get 2 E55's for the price of one of those boy toy ricer cars.
The only car that will turn a head on Park avenue is a cab.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:28 PM

my feet
so i finally decided today that its time to make a move....and the cars that i targeted are all gone! i cant find a deal even CLOSE to what i found before within 30 miles of my house...

i was targeting a $8500 e430 '99 with 75k miles black, and a $13500 e430 '02 45k miles white...nothing seems to even come close looking around now...damnnit! any suggestions? checking on cars.com autotrader.com and vehix.com for zip code 19341.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:12 PM

2002 E430
Hey, I just bought my 02 E430 back in August. I found it on autotrader, did a nationwide search because I wanted it in white (almost impossible to find a decent facelifted (00-02) W210) I used to have a 99 E320. Honestly, I think the 430 gets better mileage believe it or not. Freeway mileage I'm gettin about 23 mpg. Also, with the 99, I found myself trying to do everything to make it look like the facelifted ones. I say go with a 00-02 E class. Depends on you what type of engine. Personally I have to have an 8-cylinder. I think theyre solid cars and the W210 doesn't have too many problems.

I would never buy an american car. And someone else mentioned a used Lexus. Lexus's are great cars and lasts long and are cheaper to fix than benzes. So you might consider that route as well. But if you want a benz, the 2000-2002 E-Class is a solid car.

However, I don't know much about engines or buying used cars. So when I found my car, I found a guy located near the car to do an independent inspection. They'll run anywhere from $100-200. I then called the guy and negotiated the price and paid for it over the phone with a credit card. That may seem like something most people wouldn't do. But you can always do a bank transfer as well.

I then bought a cheap one-way ticket to the guy and drove the car back. Gas is pretty cheap at the moment and my car was only about 300 miles away. But I'd say definitely check out nation-wide searches, don't limit yourself to cars real close to you.

Also, everyone is telling you to save save save. I say screw it. I just graduated law school last month and owe a bunch of money, but whatever, might as well do it now while we're still young and dont have a family to support.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 E430 4MATIC
There will always be more cars. Don't panic... keep your powder dry. Don't compromise, but when you find the car, the right car, move in on it. Shop for the car and then work the price. Not visa-versa.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
fjs138

If you can wait a month or so I could deliver a mint 00- 01 fully serviced and checked out.Better than showroom condition.Trans serviced,new tires,new plugs.Been very busy getting all my travel plans in order to deliver the 00 black wagon to the midwest.But I am making a swing back through the east.
After that.
If you find one before that be sure to have it fully inspected for all noted issues and east coast be sure to have it gone over for any rust at all.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:06 PM

my feet
hey guys, i just redid my budget. i can put out about 400 a month on car payments, so now im looking at getting a mid-late 2000's mercedes, c-class obviously is all i can afford.

i really think those 4 cyl. coup/hatch things are putrid. but it seems in 2007(?) they made them look real sharp, at least the sedans.

anyway, as far as reliability, ill be buying out of warranty, and at first was ready to get a 3 series but i hear the repairs come often and hard. surely either the c230, c240, or c320 is rather decent? maybe at least certain runs/years of it?

basically i want a sport compact sized car (i know, completely different than w210....). probably/definitely going with stickshift. any tips?

seems the cars i can get for ~$15k are acura RSX, MB c-class, and bmw 3-series. and that little lexus overpriced corolla thingy.

and by the way, i have read every single word everyone has wrote, im not just ignoring everyone and posting new **** haha. thanks everyone.

Last edited by fjs138; 01-14-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:21 PM

99' E320 4MATIC ESTATE / 92' 190E 2.6
buy an 01-02 e class. you can sit in the drivers seat and you cant touch the passenger door...I looked at c class wagons. no thanks... feels like a honda. stick shift? why? so you can dump your clutch? my payment for my 99 is a 4 year at 225 bucks a month. that was at around $9000 for my loan. oh ya that was last year in feb. 3 years to go. my 92' 190e is still kicking too! longevity for that 01-02. many years to come...
Old 01-16-2009, 11:28 AM

my feet
http://www.importcarsofwestchester.c...0-3737683.html

that is the my new target. only problem is it has "accident" report that dealer said was wheel related, like it hit a pothole or something? shady?

anyway i think this is like perfect...although im afraid if the supercharger will die soon...
Old 01-30-2009, 04:47 PM

1999 E320 wagon 4matic
Caveat emptor Carfax!
In the quest for a good used car, information about the history of a particular candidate is of utmost importance. All vehicles tend to go through life-phases where they are relatively trouble-free, punctuated by the occasional major maintenance procedure, or a replacement of a major component, like a transmission or engine. Some private party might be unloading their car because they recently had to spend a few thousand fixing it, and have decided it is too much trouble for them; when in fact it is now likely to remain reliable and cheap to operate for quite a while.
Repair and collision histories of registered vehicles is available from several services online for a fee...
Unfortunatley, here is one well-known source that apparently has become compromised...
The following is a snip from my local newspaper's consumer action column:

Q I recently paid $40 for a one-year subscription to Carfax.
My daughter is selling her car and so am I, and we both need to buy cars, so I thought it would be a good idea to ensure that we can verify if there are any issues with a potential car we would buy.
The Carfax Web site states that it is "the first step to protecting yourself against buying used cars with costly hidden problems. Carfax searches its nationwide database and provides a detailed vehicle history report in seconds."
They claim that they report on car damage and repairs.
My car was involved in a front-end accident that required a new hood and left front fender, and my daughter's car was rear-ended.
Yet when I ran reports on both of our cars, Carfax showed clean records on both cars with no damage or repairs.
So, using Carfax will not assure a buyer that a used car was not involved in an accident.
I feel that I just wasted my $40.
Do you know anything about this?
R.B.

A Yes, a consumer advocate group, claimed in a 2007 class-action settlement that Carfax consumers are being deceived by the company's claim that its vehicle history reports are based on searches of its nationwide database, when, in fact, the database does not include police accident data from 22 states and the District
of Columbia.

If the company mentions this to prospective customers, I haven't seen it.
The 2007 settlement allowed some former customers who complained about this to choose between a coupon for another Carfax report or a coupon for $20 off a car inspection by another company.
You might ask for that. Or, you might want to seek a refund because it is against California law to deceive a customer.
While Carfax's limitation is not mentioned on its Web site, as you said and it's worth repeating, the company does warn that its reports are "the first step to protecting yourself against buying used cars with costly hidden problems."
"In addition to getting a Carfax Report, before you buy a vehicle we recommend taking a test drive and having the vehicle inspected by a qualified mechanic," says the company.

When I bought our '99 E320, the seller provided a printout of a clean Carfax report on it. Had I known then about the low quality level of the report from this company, let's just say I might have had less confidence in the purchase. Fortunately, in the meantime, nothing has happened with the car to indicate otherwise.
I hope this helps!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:02 PM

97 E420 sport
just sold a 97 e420 sport 66k mi Great solid car Built like a bank vault No problems whatsoever Highly recommend as it would've lasted at least another 100k miles Go for what makes you happy!
Old 10-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Rat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 E420
first post to say you sold the car? wow, that's unusual!

But I agree, amazing car! the '97 e420 is great!
Old 10-24-2009, 08:52 AM

1998 e320
For what its worth bro i just got a E320 w210-1999 4matic 195.000mil
i payed $3500 cash i have had the car for like 6months 210.000 mil runs great so far i love it yea it has high miles needs some tlc but thats what i was looking for a nice project car not a F&F honda i have rplaced the cps,plugs,oil,cats,breaks, i still need to fix the blower motor and wiper but i did most of the work my self for like $1.000 i love this car and the *****s love it to they look at my car like nice MB not like a hoda dam your muffler is in my face lol oh and if any one is having truble with there wipers like me use rainX it works i live in florida and it rain like crazy out hear so that said join the club well help u

Last edited by tootyte36; 10-24-2009 at 08:58 AM.