E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Time for a service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for a service

Hello, in a few months i am going to replace my spark plugs, but i wanted to buy everything ahead of time. I have a 99 e430. I just wanted to know which spark plugs i should buy. Should i buy whatever the dealer has in stock? Should i buy from online? Help me out please. I am thinking of doing an oil change, changing the air filter and not sure what else. I plan on either doing this myself or taking it to an independent mechanic.

Pulley belts, transmission fluid, differential fluid, brake fluid, power steering has all been changed, sway bar bushings.
Any other things i should do for preventative maintenance?
Thanks!
Old 01-12-2009, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Start by getting or looking in your owners manual and maintenance booklet (different items). If you don't have them you can get them thru the dealer (small fee) or join mbusa.com (it's free) and download an owner's manual. If you want to become a DIYer, I would suggest getting the Star Service Manual DVD for the W210. It's about $150 plus S&H from 1-800-FOR MERCedes. But surely not needed to do oil and airfilter. The DIY articles on these sites cover that more than well enough.

OM will tell you the correct plug. After 10 years it may have been replaced by a newer number. The Bosch site will tell you that. Many out here don't like the newer multi-tip plugs which is usually what the Bosch site will recommend but dig the single tip plug is probably listed at the end. You can get the plugs from the cheapest vendor -- probably online. Don't know about the V8 but on the 3.2l V6 plug wires are a little hard to get off so an offset open end 17mm wrench is used to pry them off by catching the front edge of the boot. It's a dealer item (Hazet Part No. 110-589-01-01-00 about $33).

The Maintenance booklet has a complete list of service items with time/distance recommendations. If you do all of the service items which include detailed inspections, you'll find the items that need service. Besides the ordinary ones I mean.

As far as sourcing parts/supplies you have three choices if you want to do it yourself. (1) Buy from the dealer (money no object) and get exactly what was in your car new or exact replacement, (2) buy OEM MB parts/supplies from an online seller such as autohausaz or mercedesshop at a discount or (3) buy generic equivalent from online sellers or local autoparts stores (maybe OK and cheapest).

If you decide to use an independent mechanic, you can ask them to use one of these choices as well although expect to get their opinion about it.

You can change the oil the old fashioned way -- drain the pan but most 'suck' it out thru the dipstick tube since then there is no need to raise the car (filter is on top as well). You'll need a little vacuum pump. It's in the DIY's. For best results use Mobil 1 Syn 0W-40 European Formula (available at PepBoys, etc.) and a fleece filter kit (filter +O rings Mann is a OEM filter for MB). You can use a band wrench to remove filter housing or buy a cap which fits over it and uses a square drive (size is 74/76mm with 14 flats). Cap allows you to use a torque wrench for final tightening.

Since you have plenty of time, read the DIY's on these MB sites lots of good advice and alternative opinions:

benzworld.org (W210 forum)
mercedesshop.com

Good luck. Most routine service and light repairs are well within the ability of an amateur mechanic if you take the time to find out what's needed. Sorry if I told you more than you wanted to know.

Last edited by RichardM98; 01-12-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:25 PM

Hey rich, thank you very much. You have been very helpful, thanks for taking the time to write all of that. I will take it from here and take some of the things you recommended.
Thank you
Old 01-13-2009, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
I have

the 17mm boot tool and instructions for $35 delivered.Use NGK 7090 plugs,single side electrode platinum cost about $2.75 each from your local parts store.Use no anti seize.100k tune up you should replace the o2 sensors.
Have you serviced the transmission with a new filter and mb spec fluid?
pm me if you need more tips on service intervals.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by ohlord
the 17mm boot tool and instructions for $35 delivered.Use NGK 7090 plugs,single side electrode platinum cost about $2.75 each from your local parts store.Use no anti seize.100k tune up you should replace the o2 sensors.
Have you serviced the transmission with a new filter and mb spec fluid?
pm me if you need more tips on service intervals.

So you recommend the NGK 7090 Which i see on this website. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...94965443+11921

Why are the other optional spark plugs available so much more money.

Autohausaz only has bosch.
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...2@Spark%20Plug

If i were to go to the dealer what would they give me do you know?