E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Radio Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 E320
Radio Issue

Hi Everyone...I've been lurking mbworld and benzworld since I purchased a 1998 E320 in late November. It has 140K miles. It was previously owned by my Mother and Father and I paid around $5000 for it. It had the common issues which I have fixed over the past few months including the window regulators & blower motor. I also replaced the spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, and flushed many of the fluids using MB spec only, changed oil using MB spec only also, windshield wiper, new tires, brake job, and swapped the headlights for some depo ones. My father with his lack of polishing experience sanded the old ones to the point of no return in attempting to pass an annual inspection.

Ok so now to the problem...the one thing that really bothers me is that the radio doesn't work. I tried to make the car mechanically better before taking a look at this issue. Well it's going on a little more then two months now, the car is running really well and I'd like to see what's wrong. The fuse was checked out and looks fine. I can see a dim light where the volume/on/off knob is but nothing turns on. I stopped by the dealership this evening and they recommended that I leave it with them of course. I made an appointment for next Tuesday. They want $115 to diagnose the problem which doesn't bother me so much. I wanted to see if anyone else ever had a similar issue and if it's worth buying the radio keys, a new radio off of ebay and trying to replace it myself or just getting the dealer to do it. If the dealership quotes me at $500+ then of course I won't do it but I hope with the $115 they can tell me what's wrong. If the dealership quotes me around $300 to fix the entire issue then it's worth it to me. I've invested several thousands so far and this would be the final item to make me happy. So any thoughts, suggestions?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
When you turn it on

does it ask for CODE?Or does it just not display anything?Display stations?
You can pull it yourself and replace the fuse or disconnect the battery and then enter the code when asked.The code should be in your radio book.Or the dealer will give it to you for free.
The bill from the dealer will end up more than $115 especially if it is the amp that is shot and not the radio.
For $300 you could have an aftermarket unit installed.For about that much you could have a Alpine audio 10 installed with the CD slot instead of a tape deck hole that nobody uses anymore.
Check all options before you leave it at a dealer for anything.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
The radio keys are about $5 and can be useful if you need to pull the CC unit (above radio).

If it's stock you have a Becker 1692. Becker North America has an exchange program where you send in your radio and they return a refurbished one for about $125 (last check). This is usually what the dealer does but they add on labor for their trouble (uninstall, ship, and install). Obviously you can do it yourself since you already do the maintenance procedures.

I'd avoid eBay for this issue since you'd be buying a used radio which might be in not much better shape than your existing one and would cost as much (or more) than the refurb from Becker.

You can also buy an aftermarket head unit such as an Alpine but many don't care for the glitzy look it gives the car. On the other hand, it adds MP3, CD and iPod capability you don't have now. Check crutchfield.com for choices.

Becker site is at:

www.beckerautosound.com

You can also go to a local auto radio shop which specializes in German car radios. But they do pretty much what the dealer does except they can diagnose other simple problems like fuses or antenna failures. They can also hook up a 'known good' radio to confirm it's not the antenna feedline or wiring harness.

Good luck.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:21 AM

'99 E430, '05 ML500, '15 GLK350
Have no fear about pulling the radio - just get the removal keys. Your parents sound like mine who haven't fixed the radio since at least the failed Clinton administration.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:29 AM

98 E320
Seriously guys, your help is appreciated.

Originally Posted by ohlord
does it ask for CODE?Or does it just not display anything?Display stations?
No display for either the Stock HU and the CD changer station below it. The Heating and A/C works fine.

Originally Posted by ohlord
if it is the amp that is shot and not the radio.
If I pull the old radio and replace it with the Alpine one as suggested using a correct harness, will the stock amp be needed at all? At some point I'd also like to change out the speakers. I'm sure the stock cones after 10 years are a little brittle.

Originally Posted by RichardM98
The radio keys are about $5 and can be useful if you need to pull the CC unit (above radio).
Is there any sites you suggest for these keys or should I just do a random search on the net?

Originally Posted by Hirnbeiss
Have no fear about pulling the radio - just get the removal keys. Your parents sound like mine who haven't fixed the radio since at least the failed Clinton administration.
lol

Yes, my parents aren't the maintenance type which is weird since they own 3 MB's

I bought this car for my first MB experience. I've been toying with the thought of getting a 2001 or '02 CLK55.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Originally Posted by Hirnbeiss
Jeez. I thought you had meant to say the Bushy administration. Lowest approval rating in history at 25%.

Seriously, pulling the radio is an easy job with the keys and as said the code is in the radio guide in your glovebox or the dealer will give it to you for free. Just show that you own the car. If you want to stay stock then go for the swap program and ad a trunk mounted cd 6 or 12 stack changer. Pioneer makes an excellent unit. our non Benz cars (3) have the same unit in each. Cost was about $225 installed at the local high end car stereo and home theater store.

Last edited by ejsheltra; 02-05-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Keys are pretty commonly available.

Check local auto parts store (Pep Boys, Kragen, etc.)

Most MB dealers have them or can get them

Call Becker NA Parts line 1-201-961-1309 (Part No. 1184.989)
If you order an exchange radio they'll probably be included.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Try

Mercedes Alpine unit looks factory just like the Becker
http://www.audio-10.com/index.php?pa...mart&Itemid=49

just noticed it even has a removable face plate.
I burn my CD's in iTunes so they play in the disc changer in the back of the wagon.Or I would get one of these myself.

I don't know the guy but he must have a good sense of humor to point us here
http://www.autoradio-code.com/
Probleme mit dem Autoradiocode ???

The speakers last.Remember if you do start replacing them with better ones they are 2ohms.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have the cluster hooks and radio /cc removal keys

if you need a set.PM
I will write you a diy on non oem radio conversion,if you remind me in a few days.