E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Popping noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popping noise

Hi, i have h&r sport springs. Not to long ago a pop sound coming from the front right corner of the car started to occur. I hear it when i go over a big bump while taking a turn and sometimes when going straight over a speed bump. Not always does it make this popping noise only sometimes. I checked to see if it were the ball joints those are ok. It sounds like the spring is not sitting right or that the coil is rubbing on the spring perch inside or something. I dont think these are reversible springs, they are put in right the letters arent upside down.

I know i need an alignment badly, my camber is off. I'm not sure if that has an affect on it like that. There was also one time where i had to slam the brakes pretty hard, on the highway, but not to the point of skid marks. Im not sure what the reason of this is, or what is caused it or is causing it. Any help is appreciated.

Another example is if i turn the wheel a bit and jack the car up on the side where it makes the noise the spring will make a popping noise, not all the time just sometimes.

Thanks!

Last edited by nsupra; 02-07-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Lowered on

springs.Check that the spring is seated in the proper position and that your shocks are properly tightened on the shock towers.While at it inspect the spring perches,peel off the mastic and really inspect for the rust issue.No need to have your front end falling off on you.
If none of those issues inspect drop link bushings.
If you can create the noise while static ,have someone do that while you safely (proper chocked tires etc.) listen with a mechanics stethoscope.You will know when you get close the pop will be real loud
Old 02-07-2009, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My drop link bushings were replaced those should be good. I am pretty sure my spring perches are ok. I would have to double check this. I will take a look at the shock to see if its tightened down properly. How do i tell if the shock is seated properly.

Also these shocks and springs were installed back when i had the 18's on the car now i put on the 16's just for the winter. I still need to do an alignment i figured id let the shocks accumulate miles break them in and then id do an alignment once i put back the 18's