E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Dice D2B iPod adapter: fiber optics not working?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Dice D2B iPod adapter: fiber optics not working?

I purchased a Dice D2B iPod adapter for my 2001 E. I can't get the COMAND to see it, though. I just get the No CD Changer message.

I have power to the unit working, I believe (positive, ground, and blue ignition leads). I have tried both splicing into the CD changer power harness and fiber optics in the trunk, and splicing into the radio harness and plugging the fiber optics directly into the COMAND in the dash. Neither works.

If I pull the COMAND fuse (back of the radio) or pull the battery for the car, when I start back up, it searches for a CD changer, but then says none attached. My iPod receives power and charges, so I think the Dice unit is on and I've confirmed with a multimeter that it gets power.

Any ideas? Is it possible my COMAND unit is dead? I've plugged directly into the HU, so it's not like there's a break in the ring somewhere causing the issue. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450
So I finally found that the fiber optics don't light up on the unit. It's not sending a signal at all. DICE is mailing me a replacement. Hopefully this one will work.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450
Just to update: I tried two Dice units, neither worked. The Dice unit is basically an iPod controller (made by Dice) and a fiber optic controller (made by Alpine) bundled together. The old Alpine controllers were plastic. The new ones are metal. I have a suspicion that the old plastic ones worked better than the new metal ones.

In short, I returned both Dice units and bought a Dension from Enfig. It's more expensive, but it works.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e320 wagon (210 chassis NOT a 211))
Originally Posted by saintz
Just to update: I tried two Dice units, neither worked. The Dice unit is basically an iPod controller (made by Dice) and a fiber optic controller (made by Alpine) bundled together. The old Alpine controllers were plastic. The new ones are metal. I have a suspicion that the old plastic ones worked better than the new metal ones.

In short, I returned both Dice units and bought a Dension from Enfig. It's more expensive, but it works.
Bummed to hear the Dice one didn't work.

How do you like the Dension? How does it work with other (non iPod brand) mp3 players? In another thread you said it worked with any other mini-jack player... but how does it access the play list? Isn't some other sort of connection required?

Thanks...
Old 08-17-2009, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450
The Dension is great. Expensive, but it works. It supports USB, iPod, and RCA connections.

If you use USB (cheapest option) you can just throw folders of MP3s onto a cheap USB drive. It will control the folders on the USB just like iPod playlists.

If you use RCA (or a cheap mini jack to RCA converter) you could use any audio source, but you would have to control which song is playing from the device itself.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:33 PM

Awesome. Has anyone detailed the installation of the Dension unit?
Old 08-17-2009, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450
It's actually pretty easy.

First open the console and remove the radio. You can find directions online. Takes 5 minutes.

The Dension kit has a fiber optic cable for COMAND and non-COMAND radios. Plug that in. Then get some Radio Shack splice connectors and patch the power cable in. Match Red and Black (power and ground) on the harness and the purple wire (which is a turn on wire). Test and install.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:58 AM

i have a 98 e430 and i am attempting to retrofit a fiber optic cd changer with the comand. i have power to the comand. i can insert and eject the magazine but the cd changer will not play. i looked on the diagnostic menu and fault number n112 is listed. it has numerous faults and is active. the n112 fault code is " no data transfer between d2b predecessor component possible." please help. thanks
Old 09-23-2009, 01:06 PM

CD Changer still works?

Saintz:
Now that I have a w210 wagon, I'm thinking about audio upgrade options...
Did the Dension unit replace your CD changer, or can you still use it? What source do you select from your head unit to operate the Dension?
The Dension mounts in the trunk, yes? Did you run extension wires to the cabin?
Do you use an iPod, or USB mass storage?

Thanks for any info...

youngblood: start a new thread, dude!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450
The DICE replaces the CD changer. The Dension has a switch you can mount in the glove box or center console and flip to allow you to use the stock CD changer. With either, the iPod will emulate a CD changer, so you hit the CD button to use it.

They can be mounted in the trunk using the cd changer connections, but I mounted them behind the dash which is easy enough.

I use an iPod.