E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Trans won't go into D when cold...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 e320 Sedan
Trans won't go into D when cold...

1999 e320 sedan - 124k miles

Been living with this problem for the past couple years but want it fixed if possible.

When the outside temps starts dropping into the 40s (F) my w210's shift selector becomes fickle:
  • When cold, if I move the shift lever to "D", the shift position indicator light under the D does not light. Vehicle does not seem to know what gear it is in at this point and if I try to accellerate it behaves as though it is trying to move from a stop in a high gear.
  • Sometimes, depending on the temperature, I can wiggle the lever and cause the D to illuminate, and the car will drive normally.
  • Other times I have to select "4" until the cabin temp comes up enough for "D" to light.
  • After an extra cold night, (in the 20s (F) or lower) "4" exhibits the same behavior as "D" and I have to start out in "3"...
  • Invariably, once the car warms up sufficiently the problem goes away. Likewise, this problem never occurs during the warmer months of the year.
  • Aside from this annoyance, the car runs and shifts very well.
Had the trans serviced (fluid & filter) - problem persists. My mech (also my neighbor - he owns an import repair shop), whom I trust a great deal, tends to think that the problem is within the transmission itself... I do not agree. My suspicion, given that I can wiggle the lever and cause that "D" to illuminate sporadically, is that there is an electrical issue in the shift selector mechanism -- perhaps an optical position sensor that gets flakey when cold??? Possibly previous owner spilled something on the console and it messed something up??? Wondering if the shift selector is a mechanical linkage, or electronic? Or both?

While I want to get this fixed I certainly don't want to have to pay for someone to tear into the trans itself unless all other possibilities are exhausted.

Any thoughts? Thinking of undertaking the procedure outlined here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208...e-removal.html Sound right?

Thanks!

Last edited by dlbyers; 10-02-2009 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Found additional info.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Shifter is both

electronic and mechanical depending on what mode you are in. Manual or auto.
Sounds like the insides of the shift module are worn and the detents are acting up.
solution remove and replace before it goes south on you.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
Off chance this could be a linkage or shifter bushing issue. Easy enough to check.

The shifter is mechanical from P to D and electronic thereafter. Same for S or W modes.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:52 PM

1999 e320 Sedan
Cold weather approaching -- so I'm revisiting this topic

As the cool mornings have hit us here, my lazy "D" issue has occurred a couple times again.

I'm 100% convinced that the shift module is the culprit now: The reason? Back in May at about 130K, my transmission blended it's guts into an oily, metalic milkshake. It was so hosed that they couldn't even rebuild it and had to go to get a wrecked trans to rebuild for me.

My question is, are there any options as far as just replacing the electronics within the shift module? Found the entire shift module online for prices ranging from $403 up to $461... Anybody find a better deal than that?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2010, 01:33 PM

I had a similar problem with my car and it was a switch (210 545 13 32) in the shifter. I live on the Monterey Peninsula in Ca. so it was a bit more difficult to diagnose since it doesn't get as cold here in the winter. If it was cold enough on monday it might not be cold enough on tuesday. If i remember correctly it was in the 45 deg. range. I have had to problems since replacing the switch.

Hope this helps,

Ron J
Old 09-20-2010, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Tahoe LT, 07 Silverado Z71, 99 BMW R1100RT
My 97 also had similar symptoms a few months ago when I bought it: the numbers/letters would light up all the time, but usually not when you put the shifter in D. With a little wiggling you could see D light up and sometimes you could get lucky and it stayed on and the tranny shifted properly, even when cold.

The PO replaced the shift module before I bought the car but that didn't really solve the issue.

After I bought it, I opened up the center console and did some snooping around there (didn't remove the shifter, though), sprayed some WD40 here and there and blew compressed air to clean everything up and so far so good.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Yes there are other options. Go to Potomac German Auto and pick up a used shifter assembly. They run about 170$ used and are backed by them as working when pulled. I had an issue with one and they sent a replacement with no questions asked. They are very good on service from my experience. The replacement is easy and can be done in about 10-15 minutes or less. Just make sure you disconnect the battery before servicing any electronics on these cars and especially the shifter assembly.