E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Need help with Comand 2.0 New Installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2003 | 06:09 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 E320 Black Wagon
Question Need help with Comand 2.0 New Installation

Ok guys, I just installed a Comand 2.0 into my 2000 E320 4 Matic Wagon. The install went pretty good - the radio works fine, the steering wheel controls control the volume and change the stations just fine. The phone (V60) and the CD Changer are no longer working - which was to be expected - this will need to be programmed by the dealer - the problem I'm having is the volume control on the unit itself, first was not working at all - then I found by pressing it in and turning it it would work. A little while later, it would work normally. Then a little while later it would not work at all! I then did a system reset (Depress the 1,3 and mute while on the radio) and it started working for a few minutes then stopped. The navigation map was moving as I drove, however there was no accuracy whatsoever. I stopped and manually programmed my location and that still did not help - the message on the display says 00 sat ?? Not sure what that means? I took it to the dealer - they could not get there computer to talk to it at all - I'm going to talk to the tech tomorrow - What do you guys think? The head unit is bad? If so, where can I send it to for repair? Any help would be appreciated!
Old 03-03-2003 | 09:58 PM

Where did you yours?Maybe you have a bad comand unit.YOu can bring it to bosch/blaupunkt repair center.
Old 03-03-2003 | 10:07 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 E320 Black Wagon
Where do you find out about a service center location?
Old 03-04-2003 | 02:18 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Installing a comand into a W210 takes me approx 3.5 hours after which it will work as it should...you describe various problems here; not just 1 so I guess it probably all has to do with installation faults.

00 sats means that you don't have a functioning GPS antenna connected to the unit...with a functioning GPS antenna the number of sats will vary during the drive and can show a maximum of 08 sats

the arrow that doesn't move means that you didn't add an additional speed pulse coming out of the rightside doorsill and going to C2 connector pos 6 (connect to a unused ended green with black line wire)

the phone and CD changer not working: either you didn't connect the D2R fiberoptic lead or you didn't change the C connector you took out of your old radio (which you probably did though because the steering wheel controls functioned you said)...
red/black out of C = CDC power
brown out of C = CDC ground
blue/black out of C = D2B wake up
If these 3 wires are connected properly and the D2R lead is connected, everything (phone, CDC, Bose) will work - these are NOT items that need to be programmed by the dealership.
This installation mistake in these D2B related wires/fiber optic probably causes the Bose amp to malfunction as well.

The dealer not being able to talk to the unit can be caused by 2 problems...either the dealer doesn't know what he does or your A connectors pos 2 wire that goes to the round service plug under the hood has to be changed in that service plug (from pos 33 to pos 34 when I remember that correctly) but that is something which is an item on some 208 CLKs and as far as I know not on the W210 E-class...

moral of the story: don't start to install comands when you don't know what you're doing because there isn't a dealership that will/can clean up whatever went wrong...

good luck & greetingz,

Last edited by MBenzNL; 03-04-2003 at 02:32 AM.
Old 03-04-2003 | 06:27 AM
Almost a Member!

2000 E320 Black Wagon
Thanks for your reply Steve. We followed the instructions providedfrom John thy to the "T" - I don't think we have an installation problem except for the antenna for the GPS> we used a splitter from MB to tie in withthe TeleAid antenna - the splitter had a red and a black connector - and a third connector unmarked - I gues I had a 50/50 chance of hooking the connector up correctly a may have it wrong. I'll check that. The speed sensor is indeed hooked up from the single unused wire in the passenger kick panel. The arrow does indeed move when the car is moving - GPS is not accurate though because no signal? The rason I think we have a problem withthe unit and not installation is because of the volume control getting confused and when you do a cold reset it works for a few seconds and then stops. Same withthe boxes checked off in the diagnostics section for wakeups/ Ideas????
Old 03-04-2003 | 01:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
The splitter can only be connected in 1 way...not even a 50% chance to do it wrong...

1 side of the splitter has 1 connector which connects to the cable coming from the GPS antenna...the other side has 2 connectors, 1 black and 1 red...these are the same (except for the color difference)...red is supposed to go to the teleaid cable and black is for the comand GPS cable...but it really doesn't matter whether the red and black / teleaid and comand cables are swapped.

greetingz,
Old 03-04-2003 | 09:52 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 E320 Black Wagon
ok, I think the unit is toasted - any ideas on where to ship it off to?
Old 03-05-2003 | 10:01 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 E320 Black Wagon
Steve: Here is how the plugs are configured:

*** Small Plug: Pin 5=Brown; Pin 6=Black; All other positions on the small plug are empty;

*** Big Plug A: Pin 2=Gray; Pin 3=Yellow/Black; Pin 4=Red/White; Pin 5=Blue/White; Pin 8=Brown; Plug B: Pin 1=Black/Violet; Pin 2=Black/Yellow; Pin 3=Yellow/Black; Pin 4=Yellow/Brown; Pin 5=Green; Pin 6=Yellow; Pin 7=Brown/Red; Pin 8=Brown; All other positions on the plug are empty;

*** Big Plug C: Pin 6=Speed Sensor from RH Kick Panel; Pin 8=Brown; Pin 9=Brown/Red; Pin 10=Blue/Black; All other positions on the plug are empty;

The GPS Antenna is connected to the Tele-Aid antenna on the roof via splitter - however we are not getting a signal - I have a aftermarket antenna coming to check this problem out.
Old 03-06-2003 | 08:50 AM

2013 S350 Bluetec, 2003 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercab, 2005 SL600 Designo Silver
the arrow that doesn't move means that you didn't add an additional speed pulse comin

Thanks to all of you for this most helpful posting!

I am about to start the installation of my Euro-spec COMAND. I did not realize I had to connect the speed pulse signal (I thought the CAN-BUS provided the required information). Now I know I will have to connect that wire also.

I'm planning to use a separate GPS antenna mounted under the dash (to avoid having to remove all the trim pieces along the driver's side of the car to make the connection into the roof antenna). Do you think this plan will work? If it doesn't seem likely to work, do any of you have the part number for the splitter needed?

Thanks to all!

Rich
Old 03-06-2003 | 10:59 AM
Almost a Member!

2000 E320 Black Wagon
I can get you the part number - however I would like to get all the bugs worked out of mine - I am not getting any signal from the TeleAid antenna right now - I will have an aftermarket antenna here next week to see if I have an antenna issue or a problem with my unit.