E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

E320 4matic wagon strands us on the highway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 R320 CDI
Exclamation E320 4matic wagon strands us on the highway

2000 E320 4matic wagon 103K miles (bought with 93K):
1. 1st symptom - it didn't crank (turn the key - nothing, dash lights and everything says it's ok) on the first try but crank and start did on the 2nd try
2. 2nd symptom - abs, yellow triangle and another light came on and the dash said get it to a workshop 3 malfunctions indicated
3. 3rd symptom - turned engine off at an intersection (hoping for a reset) - then no crank, but dash lights up.

I tried disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes, but it just cleared the indicated malfunctions and still no crank (engine doesn't turn - no click). I couldn't find a blown fuse and gave up and had it towed to the MB dealer. Dealer says it can't talk to the trans ecu that's near the shifter - I'm told it's common to get drinks spilled on the shifter and take out the ecu (I'm the culpret). So 2 days later they get a controller installed and can communicate, but still no start (hmm... we're now at $800 and feels like more is coming - $8500 car).

The cranky guy working on it seems knowledgeable, but crankiness never gives me lots of confidence either. Anyone have this happen? Any ideas? I'm thinking if the dealer doesn't come up with something pretty soon I'm trailering it home to sit next to my daughter's 96 A6 that she drowned going through not all that deep water - it won't start either.

Thank you,

Pat
Old 10-28-2009, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Sorry to hear of your troubles and welcome to the forum.

Some of your symptoms sound like a faulty CPS (crankshaft position sensor). But I would expect any MB dealer mechanic to consider that. Spilling liquids on the console can be an expensive proposition in these cars as you know. The other thing you might consider is a faulty battery. Again I can't believe a dealer mechanic would check that out. Common symptom is normal lighting, etc but car won't crank. Car's electronics insists on a minimum voltage to activate starter. Not like old cars where if you have headlights the battery is good enough. There are lot's of knowledgeable out here so you should get some other ideas soon. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:12 AM

1991 SC Miata, 1999 W210 Estate Wagon
Richard's right... perhaps you have a near-dead battery. Your starting issues happened to me too and was quickly fixed by the appropriate non-dealer battery (from Autozone).

As far as the other codes go, I don't know what to say. You said you spilled liquid on your TCU, but that normally results in weird shifting behavior and not necessarily non-cranking (unless the TCU is telling the ECU that the shift position is neither in park or neutral). Good luck.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:29 PM

2007 R320 CDI
Thanks for the input

We did install a new battery right away at the dealer just in case it was a bad cell or something. Anyway, right now the dealer replaced the shifter ecu and now there is a another bad controller (KD? I can't remember) and there is a short in the body harness. The dealer is giving me an estimate today, but they are still trying to diagnos the problem.

Thanks,

Pat
Old 10-28-2009, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Well, here's hoping you get it sorted out and the cost isn't too bad.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:03 PM

2003 mustang cobra (560 rwhp) 2004 sprinter 2002 e320 4matic wagon
how about something simple like a loose or corroded connection on the connection to the starter ?
Old 11-08-2009, 08:19 AM

2007 R320 CDI
Pretty much fixed now

Turns out the shifter controller/ecu was damaged (coffee probably) and it caused a relay to be shorting out (that's what the service mgr said - I'm not quite getting that). Anyway, the controller and relay fixed the starting problem, but the SMgr noted that the relay cooling fan was also shorting out so they disconnected it - it's fall and getting cooler so it shouldn't be a problem for now. Anyone know where this relay panel with a cooling fan lives in the car?

Thanks,

Pat
Old 11-08-2009, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by harmetp
Turns out the shifter controller/ecu was damaged (coffee probably) and it caused a relay to be shorting out (that's what the service mgr said - I'm not quite getting that). Anyway, the controller and relay fixed the starting problem, but the SMgr noted that the relay cooling fan was also shorting out so they disconnected it - it's fall and getting cooler so it shouldn't be a problem for now. Anyone know where this relay panel with a cooling fan lives in the car?

Thanks,

Pat
Believe cooling fan is located in the box where the relays live. It could in fact be the reason that this relay failed. Surprised that the dealer did not replace it. Its inexpensive. Get it fixed or you may have more issues down the road
Old 11-08-2009, 10:52 AM

99' E320 4MATIC ESTATE / 92' 190E 2.6
Originally Posted by harmetp
2000 E320 4matic wagon 103K miles (bought with 93K):
1. 1st symptom - it didn't crank (turn the key - nothing, dash lights and everything says it's ok) on the first try but crank and start did on the 2nd try
2. 2nd symptom - abs, yellow triangle and another light came on and the dash said get it to a workshop 3 malfunctions indicated
3. 3rd symptom - turned engine off at an intersection (hoping for a reset) - then no crank, but dash lights up.

I tried disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes, but it just cleared the indicated malfunctions and still no crank (engine doesn't turn - no click). I couldn't find a blown fuse and gave up and had it towed to the MB dealer. Dealer says it can't talk to the trans ecu that's near the shifter - I'm told it's common to get drinks spilled on the shifter and take out the ecu (I'm the culpret). So 2 days later they get a controller installed and can communicate, but still no start (hmm... we're now at $800 and feels like more is coming - $8500 car).

The cranky guy working on it seems knowledgeable, but crankiness never gives me lots of confidence either. Anyone have this happen? Any ideas? I'm thinking if the dealer doesn't come up with something pretty soon I'm trailering it home to sit next to my daughter's 96 A6 that she drowned going through not all that deep water - it won't start either.

Thank you,

Pat
h

Just before all of this happened, you could have let us know that you spilled your starbuck's down the center console...right?
Old 11-08-2009, 02:47 PM

2007 R320 CDI
I didn't realize I had spilled - folgers btw

Starbucks is way out of this farmer's league. I can only guess that in my laziness driving down to load pigs early in the morning I set my cup near the shifter and some splashed out. I can't see any residue, but it was black coffee. Another possibility is that we got the car a little cheaper because this type of thing had happened already, it got fixed and priced for quick sale. So, is my problem more common? What else should I expect from this type of problem?

Anyway, the SMgr talked about disconnecting a fan and we get an engine fan malfunction on the display (when the AC comes on - I'm thinking it's either a condenser fan or main fan speed up function that's not working). I'll check with the dealership to see if this is the fan that was shorting out. Is there a fan for one of the relay boxes?

thanks,

Pat
Old 11-08-2009, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Stop going to the dealer.

Find an indie mb shop,the dealer is going to eat you out of house and home.
Wait till you have them give you a quote for spark plug change that is due now.
Do it yourself. diy on www.benzworld.org w210 forum
Old 11-08-2009, 07:21 PM

2007 R320 CDI
Thanks

I'm not sure there is much in the way of independent shops around and usually I do my own work. This last deal just happened in a town 35 miles from home and I was hoping it was something obvious. However, these MB's seem to not fail very gracefully - something goes wrong and you're stuck - more interdependencies/failsafes I suppose. In a former life I was an engineer for mitsubishi and even though electrical problems were tough sometimes, it seemed like we always had tools that could get us close (mut, etc) - probably because it was a simplier system than the MB.

Do you guys have a good choice for software and some sort of USB interface - I could have determined I had no shifter controller* and possibly found the bad relay if the software had the capability. Of course, it may have been worth $1000 to not have the car sitting at home for a week with my wife 'hovering' (she really likes the car - go figure after driving a 250k mi chrysler town and country).

thanks for the assistance,

Pat

*I'm repeating what the SMgr said and I don't think he normally gives most customers more than 'your turbo encabulator has crevulated' or 'it's carbon on the valves' (remember where thats from).