E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

My sunroof won't open.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 10:01 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 E320
My sunroof won't open.

I have a 98 E320 and the sun roof will go up and down. However it will not retract down and into the car. You can hear the motor churning but it goes nowhere. I looked from outside the car and it seems that it is getting stuck when attempting to go down. I am beginging to HATE THIS CAR. HAs anyone had this happen to them? IF so how was it resolved and how $$$.
Thanks
Old 03-08-2003, 07:23 PM

1999 E430
What up Das E320, I am new here but figure I'd post and try to help out.

Although it sounds unlikely, you might need to simply lubricate the relay on the sunroof.

The reason I suggest that is that a week ago or so when I was about to take the car in for service my sunroof stopped working (It moved up and down, but wouldn't close and to open I would have to keep pressing the button over and over again). So I figured I'll have the dealer look at it while it's there, they fixed it and told me all they did is lubricate the relays, now it works very smooth. Unfortunately I am not exactly sure on how it's done. Good luck with fixing whatever the problem might be.

P.S. Sorry but I can't tell you how much it cost to fix, as it was covered under warranty.
Old 03-08-2003, 11:03 PM
Almost a Member!

98 e320 , 99 lexus rx300
the same thing just happened to my 98 e320 and I figured it was ice or snow blocking the track of the sunroof. I haven't really looked at it but now I am starting to worry about another high cost repair. Let me know what you find!
Old 03-09-2003, 12:12 AM
Almost a Member!

1998 E320
I will let you know what I find. I have not even been in the car since that day. Still pissed plus we got about seven inches of snow on Thurs. I will take a look again tomorrow and see whats up.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:53 PM

1994 W124 E320, 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport
Originally Posted by Das E320
the sun roof will go up and down. However it will not retract down and into the car. You can hear the motor churning but it goes nowhere.
I have a '94 E320 with the exact same problem you described. (Will tilt up but never opens fully). What was the cause and what (and how much) did it take to remedy the situation?
Old 08-07-2007, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
4 matic
Wow old thread. Look here for help also search for sunroof and you will find some useful info.

The cables that retract the sunroof are binding, you will need to take it apart and possibly replace some small parts
Old 08-08-2007, 09:05 PM

94 e60 AMG
Originally Posted by illest
Wow old thread. Look here for help also search for sunroof and you will find some useful info.

The cables that retract the sunroof are binding, you will need to take it apart and possibly replace some small parts
Correct you will need cables replaced. Easy job. Clean and lube tracks while there. The accordion trim pieces will require replacement as well as they will tear on removal. I'm not sure how the dealer would lube a relay as electrical parts don't typically require lubrication. I think you may have misunderstood. FWIW cables fail due to lack of service/lubrication to guides on sunroof, they almost never fail if you are going to a shop that is seeing a car MB for regular service. Don't hate you MB, understand that any machine will require repairs, stay on top of it and you will enjoy the car much more. Regards, Bart
Old 08-10-2007, 11:16 AM

'00 S-500, E-430S, '88 Mustang
Originally Posted by Bartman
Correct you will need cables replaced. Easy job. Clean and lube tracks while there. The accordion trim pieces will require replacement as well as they will tear on removal. I'm not sure how the dealer would lube a relay as electrical parts don't typically require lubrication. I think you may have misunderstood. FWIW cables fail due to lack of service/lubrication to guides on sunroof, they almost never fail if you are going to a shop that is seeing a car MB for regular service. Don't hate you MB, understand that any machine will require repairs, stay on top of it and you will enjoy the car much more. Regards, Bart
do u know the name of the accordion trim piece??
so i can search it on line?