E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Bad Hare Build Thread.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audi/porsche
Bad Hare Build Thread.

I've modified my fair share of cars in my days (28 years old, lol). But, I have never taken the time to actually document any of it.
Modified 2001 Jetta VR6 / Modified 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon / Modified 2006 GTI MKV (Stage 2)
I started w/ a 1999 E320 w/ 35,000 miles when I acquired it. Currently, I have 39,1xx miles & my H&R sport cup kit arrived via UPS last night.

UPS also delivered some winter goodness. Dunlop Graspic DS-3's (4)

At the moment, this is the only picture i have of the car. After it was detailed.

Car is going to need A LOT of love, body wise. Lots of little dings / dents / scratches. But it was a free car, so i can't complain.

I can do most of the work myself (other than body work). I will try to take as many pictures and post as much as i learn as possible on one thread. I have many plans for the car (one of them being to hit 300,000 miles). But, I'm also getting married next year so "$$" doesn't always go where i want. <- fiance w/ hammer mmm lol

Last edited by bad hare; 09-02-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:00 PM
MG
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
1998 E430; 2007 Porsche 911 C4S Cabriolet; 2011 Expedition EL Limited; 2014 E350 Estate
GL with the Build
Old 09-02-2010, 06:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
Hello buddy! glad you lowered the ride post some pics.. i read your PM. here are some help about the lip..

You can get a brabus one (i think is available yet) in this thread i post some about lips

http://www.threepoint.co.jp/f-class/f-class_w210.html

& here isthe complete thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg/...e55-amg-2.html

Hope that help, let me know about any quest

Fabio Daniel
Old 09-02-2010, 08:46 AM

audi/porsche
Thanks for the info fabio. I'm torn as to what i want to do w/ the body. I personally love the OEM+ look. So i want something suttle w/o being over the top.

- where can i get #1 pads for the suspension?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:24 AM

W210 E320
dealer can help you out with suspension pads! pretty cheap as well.

show us a pic of the actual H&R coilover? I've yet to see a true 'coil over' design for the w210. Or is it, as i am guessing, a seperate spring and shock absorber?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:35 AM

audi/porsche
^ thanks.

I'll snap pics of the whole installation process w/ pics of the parts.

This is the "sport cup kit". I guess H&R uses the same box for both coil overs and cup kit. For a moment, i thought they had sent me the wrong box and got coils instead.

probably going on in a week or so.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:28 PM

W210 E300 turbo diesel
concerns with coilovers:
the shock perches, where not designed for coilovers,
so extra stress on the frame,...
there is not much room, on top where the shock gets mounted.
most of these coilovers, where not designed , for salt/winter use.
if you lower, need consider eccentric bolts for the rear,
dealer wants $110 +35 for each + $120 alignment,....
Old 09-02-2010, 07:10 PM

audi/porsche
^ you bring up some good points.

I am worried about the spring perches. I do know that the car spent the past 10 yrs in a garage w/ minimal use. Once its lifted, i will inspect the perches for rust. If its good to go, i will take the proper precautions to help prevent rust from building.

As for salt / winter use, i have used many different spring combo / coil over kits in the winter. If you slobber enough anti seize gunk on them prior to winter use all is good. This is a spring / shock kit. I can't adjust height so now worries on that front.

Please explain what these "eccentric bolts" are? why only for the rear?

Also, i am doing the alignment at my buddies shop.

Thanks for the input!! much appreciated!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:00 PM

W210 E300 turbo diesel
front is adjustable, aka has bolts to do alignment,
the rear does not, for camber, some install camber arms.
once lowered, the rear tires, can/will wear excessive on the inside.
still need to do the rear eccentric bolts + alignment.
ended up, #4 rear, #5 back, had changed the front springs 3 times,
burned 800 buck for that,... I got the vogtland springs, 1.5"+ drop.
for winter, considering studded snows.
had blizzaks on my old benz, they where ok in snow,ice, but run down way fast,
and stopping on dry and curves is scary.Hakkapelitta only good in snow, suck major on ice, and noise. winterforce, seam good, except where uneven. DS-3 good on ICE and snow,
but I drive a lot, they get worse with wear,...
best for snow, if you can put your pinky finger in a side profile, and profile seam tall,
for ice, needs those little cuts, and silca compound.
anyway, http://legacygt.com/forums/printthread.php?t=3043
Old 09-02-2010, 08:36 PM

audi/porsche
I see what you're talking about.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208...st-camber.html

Old 09-02-2010, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
A.By the time you post

anything into your reserved for the future sections your ability to edit those sections will be long past.
You are making a long thread tedious.
B.You need to do your homework on Mercedes suspensions.
W210 stock has no rear camber adjustment,thus the need for speedybenz or lensolo arms or K-mac bushings.
Fronts need k mac or eccentrics installed.

C.You only gain or loose 4mm per pad bump so going to a number1 pad is not the first step you make. The pads are for fine tuning.
D.Unless your buddy has a hunter align machine and the bar you are pissing money down a rabbit hole thinking he will get it aligned.
E. Without the investment of above parts (about $500 additional to the sport shocks you need)be prepared to write off a set of tires shortly.
F.Which leads me to a question why are you installing snow tires in September? The soft compound will wear out even faster than the negative camber your suspension mods will wear out tires.
G. someone has a set of camber arms for sale on the forum.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:56 AM

audi/porsche
Originally Posted by ohlord
anything into your reserved for the future sections your ability to edit those sections will be long past.
You are making a long thread tedious.
B.You need to do your homework on Mercedes suspensions.
W210 stock has no rear camber adjustment,thus the need for speedybenz or lensolo arms or K-mac bushings.
Fronts need k mac or eccentrics installed.

C.You only gain or loose 4mm per pad bump so going to a number1 pad is not the first step you make. The pads are for fine tuning.
D.Unless your buddy has a hunter align machine and the bar you are pissing money down a rabbit hole thinking he will get it aligned.
E. Without the investment of above parts (about $500 additional to the sport shocks you need)be prepared to write off a set of tires shortly.
F.Which leads me to a question why are you installing snow tires in September? The soft compound will wear out even faster than the negative camber your suspension mods will wear out tires.
G. someone has a set of camber arms for sale on the forum.
A) I wasn't aware mbworld actually locked posts after time. All other forums i have joined never did this & people were actually allowed to update threads well over a year after original post. My mistake. I just cleaned up the top of the thread.

B) Leave it to mercedes to complicate things. I will do some HW later today and look up those parts. Thank you. I lowered two vw's and lifted a jeep. This was never an issue.

C) I was actually going to install the set up w/ the stock pads and then adjust from there. ( i guess i never fully explained myself).

D) guess its going to the dealer for alignment. Didn't know this.

E) Will buy those parts.

F) I just ordered the tires from tirerack w/ the suspension. My stock tires still have enough life to last until mid november / early december when i plan on putting them on. I just ordered them in one shot to make my life easier. They're just sitting in the shed till then.

Thanks for your help. As you can see I obviously didnt' expect this. I honestly was under the impression that this suspension would have been like any other car i worked on. If you have any other suggestions or steer me towards resources i can read up on benz suspensions that would be great. I would rather read and measure 30x and do the work once.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:46 PM

W210 E300 turbo diesel
anybody got some alignment numbers ?

posted this https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...t-numbers.html

nobody posted any numbers, so I have no idea what's good , what's not.

seams like, most do the lowering , without camber adjustment,
and without alignment,....
Old 10-12-2010, 02:26 PM

audi/porsche
put the H&R kit in & left the number 4 pads in. Car is not low enough. I'm putting in the #1 pads (15mm additional drop) on thursday and see how it sits.

I'll post pics Friday. Still looking for some kind of rear camber adjustment piece. As i was searching, many people have been complaining how they order these parts and they hear nothing back for months on end.

Also in the market for a set or either 17's or 18 x10 inch step dish, deep dish amg's.

i'm sure i'll also get yelled at... but maybe a little poke & stretch...
Old 10-13-2010, 02:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'08 CL600 with 152k km; '01 E430 4Matic with 428k km; '17 Porsche Cayenne with 103k km
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...Q5fAccessories

W210 Rear Camber kit...you'll get it much faster here and the price is pretty reasonable as well.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Originally Posted by Fabio D
Hello buddy! glad you lowered the ride post some pics.. i read your PM. here are some help about the lip..

You can get a brabus one (i think is available yet) in this thread i post some about lips

http://www.threepoint.co.jp/f-class/f-class_w210.html

& here isthe complete thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg/...e55-amg-2.html

Hope that help, let me know about any quest

Fabio Daniel
the original Brabus lips are longer available. They have been our of production for several years and original build numbers were very low to begin with around 100 cars.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Originally Posted by bad hare
put the H&R kit in & left the number 4 pads in. Car is not low enough. I'm putting in the #1 pads (15mm additional drop) on thursday and see how it sits.

I'll post pics Friday. Still looking for some kind of rear camber adjustment piece. As i was searching, many people have been complaining how they order these parts and they hear nothing back for months on end.

Also in the market for a set or either 17's or 18 x10 inch step dish, deep dish amg's.

i'm sure i'll also get yelled at... but maybe a little poke & stretch...
Suspension takes a few weeks and several hundred miles to settle to its final ride height, but you know that since you have done this before. No different as with any other vehicle. Give it time to adjust before fine tuning. Front eccentrics can be had at the dealer. Check to see if you already have them installed as most dealers do it with the first alignment since the original bolts are not eccentrics. If you use heim jointed rear camber arms be prepared for constant sqeaking in a short time. You must keep the heim joints lubed or craft a protective boot.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:36 PM

audi/porsche
Originally Posted by ejsheltra
Suspension takes a few weeks and several hundred miles to settle to its final ride height, but you know that since you have done this before. No different as with any other vehicle. Give it time to adjust before fine tuning. Front eccentrics can be had at the dealer. Check to see if you already have them installed as most dealers do it with the first alignment since the original bolts are not eccentrics. If you use heim jointed rear camber arms be prepared for constant sqeaking in a short time. You must keep the heim joints lubed or craft a protective boot.
yes, I'm aware of settling time. But i'm coming from the vw (slam it) world. I like lows. I believe i saw eccentrics already on the car. ( i have to double check).

As for camber arms, I have been delaying it. But i clearly need them. what is your impression of the ebay ones? I hate buying parts like this on ebay.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
K-mac

rear bushings
they also have front camber set up
http://www.k-mac.com.au/
they stock in USA
in stock no waiting for custom links to be made
quiet and easy rebuild of bushing when worn
if you need to go lower cold cut the springs.
always cut less since you can't put it back
Did you install sport shocks?
Old 10-16-2010, 09:34 AM

audi/porsche
Originally Posted by ohlord
rear bushings
they also have front camber set up
http://www.k-mac.com.au/
they stock in USA
in stock no waiting for custom links to be made
quiet and easy rebuild of bushing when worn
if you need to go lower cold cut the springs.
always cut less since you can't put it back
Did you install sport shocks?
You are an amazing wealth of knowledge

yes, H&R sports are in. #1 pads are sitting on my passenger side floor, waiting to be installed. I personally have never cut springs. Thats really a last resort. I've seen a few guys on stanceworks w/ w210 with this set up on #1 pads and it looked pretty good (and low) for a daily driver. But a picture is only a picture. I have to see it in person & fitted w/ the right set of wheels.

Also, thanks for the k-mac link!
Old 10-21-2010, 07:47 PM

audi/porsche
head unit.

H&R Cup kit w/ #4 pads. I don't have time to swap out pads. I'll wait till spring & get some wheels to test fit too.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:50 PM

audi/porsche
I'll get better pics up. it doesn't look like it, but the front and rear(not shown) are actually tucking. needs 'moar' low.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:31 PM

W210 E320
Hi mate,

Do you have any new pics yet with the Sport Cup Kit?

I am looking to get the same kit for my E320 Avantgarde, looks like it dropped yours good.

I have number 3 pads in mine, though I want to get number 1 all round.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:55 PM

audi/porsche
Originally Posted by 91LTI
Hi mate,

I am looking to get the same kit for my E320 Avantgarde, looks like it dropped yours good.

Hey. No more pics now.
Car is at the shop, still, getting the transmission issue resolved. ugh
Old 02-16-2011, 05:04 AM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Tectitgrau S210
Originally Posted by 91LTI
Hi mate,

heres mine with H&R CupKit (not sport spring) with #1 pads all around, for some reason mine didn't go as low as bad hare's on just the cupkit alone. I maybe think higher offset wheel gives the illusion of tucking

ignore the tata's, but here it is with a 1/2 coil cut off all around from the cup kit, BARELY tucking, or more like even with the fender, could probably use another 1/2 coil off, but not untill I get some amber correction for the rear as it ate thru the inside of the rear tires completely in 5k miles. Shoulda flipped them Fronts are wearing completely even I have no clue why....

Last edited by Ungarisch; 02-16-2011 at 05:09 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bad Hare Build Thread.