E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

00-02 e55 cluster on 97 e420 sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 09:03 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00-02 e55 cluster on 97 e420 sport

Hi guys,
I am wondering if the amg instrument cluster of the 00-02 e class will fit on my 97 e420 sport. I also like the factory white dial that was on some 99 e55 amgs. Do the 00-02 have the white dial option too? Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33675
Old 05-05-2003, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
A 2000 model cluster works in the 1997-2002 model cars. The 2001-2002 clusters will not work in a car (properly) in a 2000 or earlier car.

If this cluster is guaranteed to work in a 2000 model car, it is therefore a 2000 cluster, and is missing some of the features of the newer clusters (which require other parts in the newer cars).

-s-
Old 05-05-2003, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
scorchie, is it plug and play or do you have to modify any of the wiring and/or plugs? I am also curious about this and want to make I don't receive any error messages from the 2000 cluster. Thanks for your help...
Old 05-05-2003, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by jimmydagreek
scorchie, is it plug and play or do you have to modify any of the wiring and/or plugs? I am also curious about this and want to make I don't receive any error messages from the 2000 cluster. Thanks for your help...
It should be plug & play.

However, I've never tried it in a 1997 W210, so you're on your own!

Which brings me to a new point. All you guys here that want to do some mods... be a little adventurous. Try things out. Don't just come on the forums and ask if something will work... if you don't get an answer to your question, and if you have a belief that it might work, give it a try. Now, I'm not saying you should try something that will result in the destruction of your car, or possible injury to you or others. But the people that have answers to a lot of the questions, they know because they tried something out!

-s-
Old 05-05-2003, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs down Booooooooooooooo...

Originally posted by scorchie
It should be plug & play.

However, I've never tried it in a 1997 W210, so you're on your own!

Which brings me to a new point. All you guys here that want to do some mods... be a little adventurous. Try things out. Don't just come on the forums and ask if something will work... if you don't get an answer to your question, and if you have a belief that it might work, give it a try. Now, I'm not saying you should try something that will result in the destruction of your car, or possible injury to you or others. But the people that have answers to a lot of the questions, they know because they tried something out!

-s-
scorchie, no offense by any means but I completely disagree with your statement and find it kind of offensive myself! What do you think that a forum is for?!!! How would you know that someone has tried something on their car if someone else didn't ask them about it and how they did it! A forum is for people with similar insterests to share ideas and help each other out. I am adventurous and do like to try new things out for the first time (with some research) but why go and stupidly spend a couple hundred bucks on something and try it out blindly and fail, when you can ask a fellow forum member for some help and advice! If you are bothered by people like us (the majority) asking questions, offering advice and trying to help each other out, then don't offer any advice and don't repsond to any of the threads!!! I hope that there isn't anyone else in this forum who shares scorchie's feelings on this...
Old 05-05-2003, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Booooooooooooooo...

scorchie, no offense by any means but I completely disagree with your statement and find it kind of offensive myself! What do you think that a forum is for?!!! How would you know that someone has tried something on their car if someone else didn't ask them about it and how they did it! A forum is for people with similar insterests to share ideas and help each other out. I am adventurous and do like to try new things out for the first time (with some research) but why go and stupidly spend a couple hundred bucks on something and try it out blindly and fail, when you can ask a fellow forum member for some help and advice! If you are bothered by people like us (the majority) asking questions, offering advice and trying to help each other out, then don't offer any advice and don't repsond to any of the threads!!! I hope that there isn't anyone else in this forum who shares scorchie's feelings on this...
Jimmy, no offense taken, I am always open to other people's input and I hope you would be as well (rather than being offended). But I wonder, how do you think anyone else finds anything out in the first place? You (or someone else) have to try it. Who do you think spends hundreds of dollars on things to try them out? It's not stupid to spend the money, because one can gain the knowledge in return. If no one did this, then no one would be here to answer your questions. All I am doing is suggest that everyone try something once in a while and come to the forum with ANSWERS and not just QUESTIONS. I remember a time when someone would try something out on his car, then post pictures and details on how it was done. Now it seems that is never the case.

I can answer a lot of the questions that I answser because I _did_ spend the money and _did_ try things out. Would you prefer receiving answers from people that never tried anything? Actually, I see a lot of that on this and other forums... answers from people who have obviously never tried what they are suggesting. I find having this kind of misinformation posted a lot more offensive than a suggestion to "try it yourself."

But to each his own.

I am sorry you are offended, but if you would prefer that I do not answer questions that you ask in the future, even when I've tried it out and know, I will be glad to comply.

Now I begin to understand why some of the most knowledgeable members of this forum have told me they no longer take the time to answer questions anymore... I have the advantage of being able to call or e-mail them to see what they think, but it seems unfortunate that they will no longer post to share their knowledge, because their attempts are met with ungrateful attitudes.

-s-
Old 05-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks guys,
The 2000 cluster looks identical to the 01 and 02 cluster to me. What are the new features on the 01-02 cluster thats not on the 2000.

Also, do the 2000, 01 or 02 have the amg white out dials. Thanks for your insight

P.s tried to attach a pix of the white amg binacle but was too big, but you guys probably know what am talking about. Thanks again
Old 05-05-2003, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Exclamation

scorchie, I don't want to turn this into a battle and thanks for replying to this and airing out some of your frustrations. I totally understand what you mean but I, along with a lot of other people on this forum, have offered tips and help based on our particular knowledge of the questions being asked. I just got offended that you blanketly accused everyone of asking and not trying something for themselves before even knowing what type of help or assistance I have given others on this forum, or any other. If you specifically know that I only ask and never give, then by all means tell me to get out! But that wasn't the case here. I am always grateful of the info. that I receive and always say "Thanks" in a reply post to the question being answered! I am always ready to give help and advice where I can and to offer shops that can help when I can't. I have done this a lot on this forum and then I run into an e-mail like yours about appreciation.

No harm done and I look forward to helping everyone out here when I can, even when I don't get anything in return. I guess that's just me because if it wasn't for the help that people offered me here, I would still be stuck! I appreciate the info. you offer and I hope I can do the same for you if and when I can. I never said I didn't appreciate the info. you gave me or to not reply to my questions, but you never gave me the chance to thank you before you said what you said.

I would also like to apologize to stizo for turning his simple thread into a long winded discussion. Sorry for the drama stizo and I hope that we can all make this more enjoyable place for everyone. scorchie, I hope you understand what I mean and that you don't take anything the wrong way. Just please give some of us the benifit of the doubt. Take care scorchie and have a good one.

I'm out...Jimmy
Old 05-06-2003, 12:54 PM

98 E430
Ask SteveNL, if he can put Comand on car without it, and wire up premodel with steering control...he might be able to rig something up to use 2000+ cluster..............
Old 05-06-2003, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Turbo! Steve is very busy lately because I tried to send him a PM and I got a message saying that his mailbox was full. I'll try again at a later time.

stizo, if you want to attach a pic. that is too big, resize it and then try again...
Old 05-06-2003, 01:29 PM

98 E430
Yeah, he's actually here in LA. I met up with him yesterday for a little bit. He's still doing installations on Comand. Bunch of us from bnzsport.com is going to have dinner with him tonight. I will ask him if he can add a 00+ cluster in a premodel ...
Old 05-06-2003, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks again for your help Turbo but I don't want to incovenience you especially at dinner. Have a great dinner tonight!
Old 05-07-2003, 03:39 AM

98 E430
Good news for all you premodel owners. SteveNL is making a "kit" for us to use the 00-02 Cluster. He said that you'll need a 00-02 Steering wheel + Air Bag/Buttons.

due to the extensive rewiring, its better to get a "hardness", so he says. So I am looking forward on this.

This is GREAT NEWS....
Old 05-07-2003, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs up

YEAH! So it looks like dinner went well! I can't wait for this one. Now we'll just need Steve to hook us up with the steering wheels and airbags as they are very expensive...Steve is the man!
Old 05-07-2003, 01:24 PM

98 E430
from what he told me...he's planning to get a complete kit together, meaning SRS+wood steering wheel+cluster+wire hardness...etc..etc...
Old 05-07-2003, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Turbo][
from what he told me...he's planning to get a complete kit together, meaning SRS+wood steering wheel+cluster+wire hardness...etc..etc...
Thanks again Turbo for sharing all of that info. Again, it is much appreciated!
Old 05-08-2003, 03:14 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally posted by Turbo][
+cluster+
nonono, no cluster...I don't have acces to mph clusters.

I installed a MF instrument cluster and W210 MF steering wheel in a 2000 C280 (W202) today...with succes...

As far as US instrument clusters go, I can only advise to ask Scorchie since he has multiple clusters available...

greetingz,
Old 05-08-2003, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Steve, can it be any of the 2000-2002 clusters or does it have to be only a 2000?
Old 05-08-2003, 10:22 PM

98 E430
Originally posted by MBenzNL
nonono, no cluster...I don't have acces to mph clusters.

I installed a MF instrument cluster and W210 MF steering wheel in a 2000 C280 (W202) today...with succes...

As far as US instrument clusters go, I can only advise to ask Scorchie since he has multiple clusters available...

greetingz,
Well KMH or MPH doesn't matter to me. My car, I'm using a KM/H cluster. Well, anyway...as long as you get us the whole package...I can find a cluster if it's the last thing I do on this Earth!
Old 05-09-2003, 03:30 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Steve, can it be any of the 2000-2002 clusters or does it have to be only a 2000?
I go by the cluster information that Scorchie passes me on...since he had and has several 2000-2002 clusters and he has been trying several clusters in his 1999 C43 with MF steering wheel...he knows more about what will and will not work in a US spec car then I do in the middle of our euro spec diesels...

greetingz,
Old 05-09-2003, 03:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Steve! I understand what scorchie said about the 2000 cluster being the only one that works and I will trust him and go with his advice. But, I was talking about the wiring harness that you will be making. Will that open up more options to using clusters that are not only 2000 but 01-02? Thanks...
Old 05-10-2003, 12:09 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
No...the wiring is only to connect the steering wheel to instrument cluster and radio...

greetingz,
Old 05-10-2003, 05:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
will changing the cluster chage my milage???

i herd that the dealer cant change the milage on it back to the orginal milage after cluster change is that true???