E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Alternator or disconnecting the Tele SoS cable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 w210 e320 2001 SLK 320 R170
Alternator or disconnecting the Tele SoS cable?

I have a 2002 w210 e320, and installed a new OEM Battery, just completed installing a avicz130bt double din, 2 rockford power series t12d4 subs with 2 Power series 800 4 ch amps. OEM was the bose audio system with the useless fiber optic cd changer. I will insert my opinion here about the bose car audio systems. I have installed some amazing high end components over the years and I will say that I will never be a bose fan and maybe they should submerge there entire product line underwater. On with the thread, so tonight I am driving on the freeway and every error message from alternator/battery, lamp, eps,srs, etc. is indicated on the cluster display, then the headlights dim, throtttle bogs down, but still running, no power to the windows , and I am on the freeway at night. AS the lights dim more I hit the brights at least to make to the next exit and car shuts down. When I removed the OEM radio I ran new independent wiring for the new deck, I also disconected the useless phone cable that runs under the center console and conects to the service and info buttons located in the upper half of the center console. After reading many threads from all of you, I decided to reconncect the cable, disconnect the battery and start again. A jumps start was required to bring her back, and on a new battery too. So I am thinking alterantor maybe or is there any truth to the SOS system eating up the power because I disconnected it. I am a clinical engineer by trade so I am beyond mechanicaly inclined, is there any corrective action the end user can do or is this going to mean that the mfgr is still making money off this car they sold years ago. Any solid help or directions would be apppreciated. Hey does anyone want to buy a mercedes.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
A lot of

members remove the sos/oem phone system. Look in the audio section.
(Rockford) amazing high end components? While not a big fan of Bose. Rockford is hardly high end.Those Power series draw 800 watts at 1 ohm you ran 2 for a peak 1600W on an alternator putting out 115 amps at marginal 12.5 v putting out under 1500W unloaded.What was left over to operate a very high requirement base chassis system?
Did you replace all the oem speakers?If not did you check the Ohms of the oem dash,door,deck speakers?
Are you running Caps?
Cap it,install a 150amp AMG alt and have some leftover remaining to operate essential systems like lights,starter,etc. I think you simply overdrew what the stock alternator puts out. Later models of Mercedes under those conditions would warn you of electrical consumers being exceeded and shut down all non essential power users. W210 does it by just shutting down.Sometimes even going into transmission limp mode which would have left you being a very unhappy camper
Visit the audio section,someone did a nice diy on sos delete. Might help.
I don't think it has anything to do about your skills being beyond mechanicaly inclined. Maybe a bit beyond electronically inclined.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
Nice head unit, Like Ohlord said you over drew.Put a volt meter on the battery with the engine running see if it's charging without the stereo on.
Then turn on the radio and see what happens to you voltage.