E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

post 100k mile maintenance checklist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
53,54,63 and 67 VW buses, 74 BMW tii
post 100k mile maintenance checklist

I'm carefully searching for the right wagon and have found several candidates, but still not "the one". I'm finding that a common problem I have is determining if certain common fixes or maintenance have been done. Carfax typically doesn't show anything specific, for example MAS replaced or catalytic converter replaced. Making it tougher is that most of these cars are not very close to me so even if the owner has records I can't sit there and pour through them. I'd like to compile a list of major services that always have to be done after 100k miles. Things like:
MAF
catalytic converters
engine mounts
O2 sensors
etc

this way I can ask specifically if this item has been done and not rely on somebody telling me "it's been routinely maintained" or "it's just been checked out". I know the benefit of a professional inspection, but for me that's the final step before buying the car and I'd rather weed out the ones that are time bombs with expensive work coming. For example right now I'm talking with a guy who is 5+ hours away who has a pretty nice wagon. He has done nothing but oil changes from 105K miles on. Carfax shows but nothing specific. It now has 130k miles or so and it's about to cost somebody a lot of money or the work was done by the first owner. He has records from the previous owners, but I don't know how detailed they are and I'm not willing to make the long trip without first weeding out some of the issues. Any thing you can add to the list of common post 100k mile issues (not to be confused with the standard list of w210 issues elsewhere)
Old 02-13-2012, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
At the risk of playing devils advocate, I think the problem with this strategy is in getting accurate information. Either through faulty memory or 'recklessness with the truth' some owners may give erroneous information. And don't underestimate the number of owners who will not know the difference between a MAF and an O2 Sensor.

Also, while this list (which should include spark plugs) represents common maintenance and service items there is no guarantee that any one item on any given car needs replacing. Generally I think replacing one of these items should be based on need not strictly mileage.

I'm afraid it's difficult to eliminate the judgement part of the equation. Perhaps you can find someone on the board who is willing to check out a car for you. Otherwise I think you'll have to plan a trip if the car appeals to you. One thing you might consider is a OBD II scanner. They're cheap and you can find pending codes which might cause the owner to be more forthright.

Forget Carfax. It doesn't show anything useful except for a salvage title. That's why used car dealers give them out like breath mints.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Ditto to Carfax. Although these don't show everything either, ask the current owners to have their dealer print out a VMI, that should be more useful. Ane certainly verifiable service histories like invoices with details. Also, maybe add transmission mounts and flex disks to the list.

Last edited by Musikmann; 02-13-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
01 E320
I wouldn't labor so much on what work has been done. You're better off focusing on the condition of the car now. Have it inspected. See if it's leaking anything. How does it drive? Is the suspension tight and rattle free? Is it clean? Does it look like the prior owner(s) abused it? If you know who owned it before, thats a plus. Transmission leak by the electrical connector is common and easy fix.

These are reliable, inexpensive used cars and they last a long time. Mine is in perfect condition and I haven't changed a lot of parts because they haven't broken. I wouldn't change many parts like MAF, cats, or even 02 sensors in an 11 year old car just for maintenance. It still drives like new and gets almost 30 mpg on the hiway. During the first 50k miles a lot of parts were changed by the dealer under warranty including the Cats and Motor mounts. Fom 60k to 125k it's been problem free. Pretty much just plugs (at 100k) oil changes and brakes.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
plugs need

to be done at 5 years. O2 sensors at 100 k miles. Cats on some well maintained cars can last the life of the car.
Seens like we are revisiting a post from a few weeks ago.Forget carfax
forget old records. Get the car inspected,wear items,suspension,transmission shift quality,etc.
That wagon in glendale is probably serving a new master and all it would have taken is a cheap flight down and a few fill ups going north.
Inspect,inspect,inspect.