E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Speaker quality in the E-Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2003 | 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Speaker quality in the E-Class

Probably a topic's that's already been discussed but I've only recently joined, so please bear with me...

When I bought my car ("pre-owned"), an E-class Advantegarde, it had a Sony headunit and Sony CD changer (I could only assume this was added by the last guy or by the used car yard) and I have never been too impressed with its sound quality. But I was not convinced that this is the type of system MB would put in a car that's supposed to be top in the options category. I was especially not happy with the lack of treble. So I then swapped the headunit and CD changer for another newer, supposedly better Sony system (model irrelevant), thinking it was the output unit - no apparent change .

I finally couldn't stand it anymore and went to a local car audio dealer today looking for a solution (cheap - I'm not a firm believer in spending lots of money on the car sound system, preferring to spend on the car's body and performance mods). The prescription, unsurprisingly, was a pair of new tweeters next to the side mirrors.

What's surprising was we found two pathetic little excuses for tweeters there, by, of all makers, Nokia! Apparently standard issue but those things look more like cell phone speakers than a car audio accessory! The guy nonetheless, insisted that the OEM head unit somehow produces reasonably good quality sound on these things (is that right?).

Anyway, just wanted to share this with you all and to see if anyone else has had the same experience i.e. if you change the headunit, the speakers aren't very compatible in terms of the sound quality (ignoring of course, the incompatibility in output).
Old 07-08-2003 | 01:03 PM

2000 F-150 XLT Sport Crew Cab
I know from day one with my benz the audio sucked on it...The stock speakers are just boring and plain and high pitch....If you turn the base up it just gets deep so you really cant kill the high pitch. I later down the road put a system in the car and it sounded much better...I then got sick of that and sold it...Now im back to the factory speakers Oneday when I get time and extra $ im going to replace the factory speakers and amp with something with alittle more kick.

I hate high pitch sounds! Also..When I turn the radio up kinda loud, it starts to sound fuzzy...Maybe its just the age of the speakers dunno.
Old 07-08-2003 | 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Unlike you, my probably was I could hardly get any high pitches - more like midrange/ AM radio, even with CDs.

Dude, I can't figure you out - you seem to persist with working on it but you've got quite a few complaints (especially recently) - a kind of love-hate relationship maybe? Or maybe there's something you really like about it and you just want to find out a way to bring out its very best?

I agree nonetheless, the stock speakers sux - I was so surpised to see that the mid-ranges are those standard "paper cones" - was very unimpressed for the price charged on these cars.

Heard the latest Lexus has a very impressive system as standard - now, the Germans have certainly got something to learn from Japs.
Old 07-08-2003 | 01:42 PM

2000 F-150 XLT Sport Crew Cab
Originally posted by Whitey
Unlike you, my probably was I could hardly get any high pitches - more like midrange/ AM radio, even with CDs.

Dude, I can't figure you out - you seem to persist with working on it but you've got quite a few complaints (especially recently) - a kind of love-hate relationship maybe? Or maybe there's something you really like about it and you just want to find out a way to bring out its very best?

I agree nonetheless, the stock speakers sux - I was so surpised to see that the mid-ranges are those standard "paper cones" - was very unimpressed for the price charged on these cars.

Heard the latest Lexus has a very impressive system as standard - now, the Germans have certainly got something to learn from Japs.
Ya....I have a few complaints on the car but not many I love the car, but I will really love it once i'm done with the paint job and the exterior work

I just love working on cars, and this is my first benz and i'm still learning everything...very fun to learn something new.

I am a hard person to figure out
Old 07-08-2003 | 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
I hear u and as I said before, I wished I was in the same position too. I reckon given the amount of work you do personally, you're going to know more about these things at the end than anyone else.

BTW, on the calipers, isn't there a paint that's especially designated for brakes? (Not chasing, as I'm not going to do it anytime soon - I have AMG Monoblock Type II wheels, no point doing it when nobody can see them!)

Can't wait to see pics of you black benz (and that "soon to be painted black" comment on your signature disappear!). Goodm luck.
Old 07-09-2003 | 06:52 AM
Almost a Member!

E430
The Bose speaker system in my E430 is (suprisingly - never been a fan of Bose) very good.

Maybe you could upgrade.
Old 07-09-2003 | 07:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
An upgrade is certainly needed and in the pipeline - will check out those Bose's - thx! I'm just surprised MB doesn't pay just a little more attention to aspects beyond driving, especially when they're charging so much for a car with a higher option.

Guys, any suggestions on a good, value-for-money speaker system or upgrade? I was told simply replacing the mid-ranges in the doors (assumption: few passengers!) and the head unit would do wonders already for the front occupants.
Old 07-09-2003 | 07:50 AM

From: Long Island, NY / Mississauga, Ontario / Changhua, Taiwan
11 S550V4
unfortunately i'll have to disagree that the bose is very good, I actually think it's quite lousy... compare it with the mark levinson in the current generation lexus cars, or even the nakamichis in the past generation lexus, and you'll realize how lousy the bose really is...
Old 07-09-2003 | 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
BTW, on the calipers, isn't there a paint that's especially designated for brakes? (Not chasing, as I'm not going to do it anytime soon - I have AMG Monoblock Type II wheels, no point doing it when nobody can see them!)
Yes, the G2 Caliper paint system is supposed to be one of the best. A lot of guys in this forum recommend it. It can be found at Tirerack. Here is the link: G2 Caliper Paint. If and when I ever have the time, I will be doing this as well.

As for audio systems, I too have the Bose system and I'm not very impressed. Coming from an audio background (way back in the day), if I end up keeping the car I will probably end up replacing the system with that of a high end one. One of my peeps who has a custom audio shop has done a couple of systems in some Benzes and recommends JL audio components and speakers run off of an amp. He also always leaves the stock head unit in place as to not change the appearance of the console and installs the new head unit in the compartment below it. He also likes using Pioneer head units in a lot of his high end systems but says that's just his personal preference. I personally also like Pioneer. Just my $0.02...

Old 07-09-2003 | 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Thanks guys - its confirmed a few of my own preferences (but like Jimmy, the change will really depend on how long I decide to keep my car).
Old 07-09-2003 | 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Working in the mobile audio area, I can say that the stock Bose system in my E actually impressed me, FOR, a stock system that is. The sound is all around impressive and solid but doesn't have impressive highs or low lows. Hmmm.... No high's no low's, gotta be Bose perfectly fits here. So I'm in the process of installing a pair of 6.5" separates in my front doors. Actually Dynamatted the driver door last night.

It is absolutely easy to install a headunit into the W210 without compromising looks. Just underneath the radio there is a DIN sized pocket. Take that assembly out, remove the pocket, it's only snapped in and you have the perfect place for an aftermarket radio. You can still leave the stock radio where it is for cosmetic purposes ofcourse...

Only downside of installing new speakers is that for you to attain proper volume and output, the speakers you are installing must be at 2 ohms. I found out when I installed the separates in my driver door, 4 ohms components, that the volume is dramatically reduced and that replacement of the stock amp is required.

As I said before, for the average Mercedes customer the upgraded Bose package isn't bad at all. But for those looking for good sound, you need to do your homework and purchase the right equipment. Going the cheap *** route takes you nowhere but closer to frustration highway. So for those seeking the "cheap" way out, there isn't. Do it right the first time and do it once....

My $.02 and an extra $.01 :-)
Old 07-09-2003 | 01:02 PM
Almost a Member!

99 e430 Green
Ok at first I hated the bose, I went from a lexus, where word on the streets is they have ruber in parts of the frame to keep the sound down. However, I just wanted some more bass, and I had 2 jl 12' w3's installed in a bandpass box, and have been very happy with that, granted im young so it fits. It has great sound quality, but when i turn up the bass knob I can get others to look over at me.

The one question I have, which I need to solve, does any one have the factory subs? they are like 6.5's in the rear deck lid, my holes are covered by about an inch of rubber pads. I need to get rid of these rubber pads does anyone have any ideas on how to get these out.

I think im going to get a 1 jl w7 10 just because I really want my trunk back.
Old 07-16-2003 | 04:00 PM

2010 E63 AMG, 2000 E430 Sport, Dodge Charger SRT8
Bose

Absolutely HATE the Bose system in my 2000 E430 Sport. One of the worst-sounding factory systems I have heard in any car, much less one costing $57K.

Entire audio system has been replaced twice under warranty. Speakers just don't have the sound. Like previous comments: no decent, true bass, harsh mid and highs. My .02.
Old 07-16-2003 | 05:53 PM

1998 E320 4Matic
I was looking in the trunk at the rear speakers. I have cutouts for four speakers, two on each side. However, there is only one speaker on each side. One cutout on each side is empty. Is this space for an upgrade or am I missing a pair?
Old 07-16-2003 | 07:34 PM

11 S550V4
no there are supposed to be 2 speakers, although I don't know why there are cutouts for 2 extra ones?

anybody notice the two grills with what look like to be speaker grills on the dashboard (next to the pass. side airbag and one on the driver's side against the A pillar) .... they don't have anything in them!!!
Old 07-16-2003 | 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Originally posted by paomien
no there are supposed to be 2 speakers, although I don't know why there are cutouts for 2 extra ones?

anybody notice the two grills with what look like to be speaker grills on the dashboard (next to the pass. side airbag and one on the driver's side against the A pillar) .... they don't have anything in them!!!
Supposedly they are for the intergrated cell phone system. Nice place to put some tweeters. I just didn't feel like running new wire through the door. I believe pre-'98 cars have speakers there. '98 and up have the cell phone intergrated into the radio...
Old 07-16-2003 | 11:09 PM

11 S550V4
i actually have the integrated cell phone system, and i don't have any speakers there....
but you're right, perfect place for some tweeters, since the ones that are in the door right now don't make any sound
Old 07-16-2003 | 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
i actually have the integrated cell phone system, and i don't have any speakers there....
but you're right, perfect place for some tweeters, since the ones that are in the door right now don't make any sound

There are no tweeters there...
Old 07-18-2003 | 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
......since the ones that are in the door right now don't make any sound
As I'd mentioned before, those "tweeters" on the doors are more like cell phone speakers - flat, approx 0.5-1". Once I changed them for another set that I managed to sqeeze nicely into that tight space (N.B. very cheaply), I actually found some sounds in my music that I never thought was there! ).

Irrespective of whether the Bose system is a good system or not (we're all entitled to our preferences), I'm convinced from this thread that when some a$$hole ripped off the original head unit that is the only one that's compatible with the original speaker setup, it fxcked up the entire audio experience

Anyway, for someone who's not too fussed with mobile sound but would still like to hear all the highs and lows in my music, I'm quite satisfied after changing the tweeters - something worth exploring if you're like me. Nonetheless, I'm sure an extra amp and subwoofer would give the sound even more punch (clearer drum and bass guitar sounds would be nice....) =$0.02
Old 07-19-2003 | 08:44 PM

1999 E430
Re: Speaker quality in the E-Class

Probably a topic's that's already been discussed but I've only recently joined, so please bear with me...

When I bought my car ("pre-owned"), an E-class Advantegarde, it had a Sony headunit and Sony CD changer (I could only assume this was added by the last guy or by the used car yard) and I have never been too impressed with its sound quality. But I was not convinced that this is the type of system MB would put in a car that's supposed to be top in the options category. I was especially not happy with the lack of treble. So I then swapped the headunit and CD changer for another newer, supposedly better Sony system (model irrelevant), thinking it was the output unit - no apparent change .

I finally couldn't stand it anymore and went to a local car audio dealer today looking for a solution (cheap - I'm not a firm believer in spending lots of money on the car sound system, preferring to spend on the car's body and performance mods). The prescription, unsurprisingly, was a pair of new tweeters next to the side mirrors.

What's surprising was we found two pathetic little excuses for tweeters there, by, of all makers, Nokia! Apparently standard issue but those things look more like cell phone speakers than a car audio accessory! The guy nonetheless, insisted that the OEM head unit somehow produces reasonably good quality sound on these things (is that right?).

Anyway, just wanted to share this with you all and to see if anyone else has had the same experience i.e. if you change the headunit, the speakers aren't very compatible in terms of the sound quality (ignoring of course, the incompatibility in output).

Sounds like the previous owner just butchered the audio system, as far as I know Mercedes doesn't and has never use nokia speakers, sounds like a bad aftermarket install.

And as I would agree that the Mercedes speakers don't have the greatest kick to them, the ones that come with the premium Bose speakers sound extremely clear even when turned up to the highest volume setting.
Old 07-19-2003 | 08:48 PM

1999 E430
Originally posted by Benz

I hate high pitch sounds! Also..When I turn the radio up kinda loud, it starts to sound fuzzy...Maybe its just the age of the speakers dunno.

The issue with a bad radio quality has been discussed several times, if I am not mistaken it has something to do with the way the antenna has been positioned, making the FM sound unclear and the AM even worse.

If you search the W210 forum, several members posted what seemed to be good solutions to improve the quality, however it involved re-positioning the antenna etc.
Old 07-20-2003 | 03:08 AM

11 S550V4
whitey...what kind of tweeters did you get installed in the doors? I wanted to replace the entire speaker set with a set of focal utopias, but from what I've read on the forums, I shouldn't replace the OEM speakers which are 2ohm with 4ohm speakers, as I wouldn't get enough sound out of them??
Old 07-20-2003 | 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
whitey...what kind of tweeters did you get installed in the doors? I wanted to replace the entire speaker set with a set of focal utopias, but from what I've read on the forums, I shouldn't replace the OEM speakers which are 2 ohm with 4ohm speakers, as I wouldn't get enough sound out of them??
I am in process of replacing the speakers in my E. You do have reduced power going to your speakers considering the impedance differance. It is a lot softer than with the stock 2 ohms drivers. I will eventally be replacing the factory amplifier. But for now it works...
Old 07-21-2003 | 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
whitey...what kind of tweeters did you get installed in the doors? I wanted to replace the entire speaker set with a set of focal utopias, but from what I've read on the forums, I shouldn't replace the OEM speakers which are 2ohm with 4ohm speakers, as I wouldn't get enough sound out of them??
Paomien - as a matter of fact, I'd attached some 4 ohm tweeters and somehow it did the trick. Maybe the 4ohm tweeters by themselves do not use up too much power. Other specs: 1.5" 50W capacity, 13mm Manganese (whatever that means????). The brand's "Thaudio". Cheap Korean apparently but being able to hear cymbals and the highs on guitars once again for US$28 (fully installed) I'm certainly not complaining .

I'm no technical whiz but michakaveli's right, you'll probably need to replace the amp if you intend to change all of them to 4ohms.
Old 07-21-2003 | 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Correct. If you wanted to replace your entire system to 4ohms you will have to swap out your amp. There are amps on the market that have a selector to switch between ohms also. 4ohms is usually the standard in high end systems. 2ohms for hardcore systems with major bass. 8ohms is usually residential/home systems so that is why people shouldn't use home speakers in there cars as they sound like crap!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Speaker quality in the E-Class