E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Confirmation on removing part

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Question Confirmation on removing part

Guys, another stupid one but I need some assurance in case I break something . How do I remove the black plastic plate surrounding the gearshift - is it by brute force, lifting it from a certain side (e.g. front or back) or is there a more complex procedure (like screws and bolts)?

Many thanks!
Old 07-24-2003, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 F-150 XLT Sport Crew Cab
All you do is pull that chezzy thing off...Has no bolts or anything....When you pull it off it looks so cheap...Looks like something worth .10 hehe....

But ya, all you do is pull it off.

on all 4 corners there are little plastic things that just pop in....So pull from the top middle and side middle.

I can't wait til i get a chrome one...Maybe it will look more then .10 hehe
Old 07-24-2003, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Thanks dude. I like the chrome ones on the other guys' cars too but think they're over-priced and too common (don't match my interior too well anyways)

Check out the Schaetz site I referred to at the end of the Knob thread - some nice chrome ones there but I think they're in the UK )

Currently I'm experimenting with carbon-look and will possibly stuff around with a leather gator (ala W211) when I feel game enough to drill or cut the plastic.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by Whitey
Thanks dude. I like the chrome ones on the other guys' cars too but think they're over-priced and too common (don't match my interior too well anyways)

Check out the Schaetz site I referred to at the end of the Knob thread - some nice chrome ones there but I think they're in the UK )

Currently I'm experimenting with carbon-look and will possibly stuff around with a leather gator (ala W211) when I feel game enough to drill or cut the plastic.
I was on schaetz site and they just seem over priced for my tatse...I find everything half that on ebay hehe....I'm a ebay *****....if you want a chrome shift plate you can get one on ebay for 10$-15$...Im about to get one for 10$ so far..

I found some AWSOME momo shifters on ebay for 40$-90$....This carbon fiber and chome one i REALLY like is only 60$....When I get the spare money ima buy it.

best of luck with what you get...I saw your shifter in your other post and it looks great in your car.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:05 AM

I think this one looks unique
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2425068731

This is the one i want!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2424738662
Old 07-25-2003, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Thank again - its off to rip the plate off - 10-15 bucks for a chrome plate, that's a damn good deal (unfortunately it'll probably cost me more to deliver to where I am ).

Yeah, get a new shifter, E55 Kev's chrome and carbon one if you can - I didn't think it was worth spending $$ on it before, but since its one of the first and last things you touch in the car when you drive, you'll really learn to appreciate it more after changing it to something with an impact. Oh, if you get carbon, remember to change the remaining wood trims to black first!

Whens the body kit arriving?
Old 07-25-2003, 12:18 AM

Where are you located?

I'm trying to find one like E55 Kev's on ebay....im just waiting, and by the time i find one maybe i will have the spare $.....

I'm not 100% sure the guy is selling me the body kit anymore....Instead im buying a new dashboard and all new upper interior for my car Monday. I changing it to grey (all pillars, roofliner, sunroof cover and insert, rearview mirror, and dome light). Im also getting an airbag to put my AMG pace car steering wheel in the car. I decided to just get all this in place of the kit since the guy is not even 100% sure on a price. After i buy this, my interior will be all brand new hehe.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:36 AM

1998 E320
BENZ,

I checked out the above link...knob.. Man they look awesome, I am buying it... Post some of your finding here..
By the way.. how do you fing out your interior color code..?
Mine is light cream color.

I want to change the knob, if you come across a knob that goes with it and its cheap, e mail me or post here..

Did you get your body kit painted or you are going to do it along with your paint job?
Old 07-25-2003, 02:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally posted by Benz
I think this one looks unique
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2425068731

This is the one i want!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2424738662
Very nice but like I said before, unless you're prepared to trim the shaft, those knobs look like they're too short to cover up the jaggered parts of the shaft. I suggest you measure the depth of the hole of your original knob, then find one that has the same or deeper depth (looks can be deceive, I thought the Tomahawk would fit judging by the exterior but later found out the head is actually thicker, hence the hole not as deep). Good luck!
Old 07-26-2003, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally posted by Benz
All you do is pull that chezzy thing off...Has no bolts or anything....When you pull it off it looks so cheap...Looks like something worth .10 hehe....

But ya, all you do is pull it off.

on all 4 corners there are little plastic things that just pop in....So pull from the top middle and side middle.

I can't wait til i get a chrome one...Maybe it will look more then .10 hehe
Cheezing thing it is but I actually meant the part that's immediately surrounding the gear shift. Anyway, in my quest for individualism, I have again succumb to convenience. Took your and others' view and got a chrome surround......with surprsing results! I take back my previous comments about them (must reassess my judgement!) - its added so much more class to the ****pit Now its worth $15.10 and looks much more, especially with the black wood and plastic, carbon knob, grey interiors and my (chezzy) AMG decal (will post pics if you guys would like to see...) I may one of these days see if I how a carbon surface on the inside part will look tho'......

You're partly right in saying Schaetz is expensive but I'm pretty sure the chrome surrounds they sell are genuine Deutche made and typically costs more, whereas mine and those on Ebay are much cheaper copies - but who can tell???!!!!!:p
Old 07-26-2003, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by Whitey
Cheezing thing it is but I actually meant the part that's immediately surrounding the gear shift. Anyway, in my quest for individualism, I have again succumb to convenience. Took your and others' view and got a chrome surround......with surprsing results! I take back my previous comments about them (must reassess my judgement!) - its added so much more class to the ****pit Now its worth $15.10 and looks much more, especially with the black wood and plastic, carbon knob, grey interiors and my (chezzy) AMG decal (will post pics if you guys would like to see...) I may one of these days see if I how a carbon surface on the inside part will look tho'......

You're partly right in saying Schaetz is expensive but I'm pretty sure the chrome surrounds they sell are genuine Deutche made and typically costs more, whereas mine and those on Ebay are much cheaper copies - but who can tell???!!!!!:p
sweet....send us pics!!
Old 07-27-2003, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Transformation....in 2 steps

Trivial but here's the transformation....(unfortunately the bad pic doesn't do the beauty of the chrome much justice).
Attached Thumbnails Confirmation on removing part-transformation.jpg