E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Fixing up some minor cosmetic damage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 W210 E320
Fixing up some minor cosmetic damage

My car has a fair amount of rust on the brake calipers. Would it be okay to paint over them, with a brake caliper painting kit? I've heard from some people that this stops heat dissipation, and others say this is ridiculous. Also, what can I do about the headlamp cases (shroud?) being extremely fogged/translucent? I tried buffing them out but this did nothing. Final question. Is it common for the check headlamps warning to pop up and then go off again. It seems when I hit a bump the light goes on, even though I've confirmed there is no issue with the lights functioning.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:34 PM

E220 W210
The headlight issue is rather common, read this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...hat-works.html

It is okay to paint the rusted calipers, but I would def. remove the worst rust using a drill with a . And yes, the rust will come back after some time... Unless you buy a rebuild-kit and sandblast them properly!

And final question, the check headlamps warning is also EXTREMELY common. Things you can do is to wrap the bulb-terminals with alu-wrapping. I did this on my brake-bulbs, it worked with mine
Old 04-14-2013, 04:53 PM

2002 W210 E320
Originally Posted by skj0lsvik
The headlight issue is rather common, read this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...hat-works.html

It is okay to paint the rusted calipers, but I would def. remove the worst rust using a drill with a . And yes, the rust will come back after some time... Unless you buy a rebuild-kit and sandblast them properly!

And final question, the check headlamps warning is also EXTREMELY common. Things you can do is to wrap the bulb-terminals with alu-wrapping. I did this on my brake-bulbs, it worked with mine
Thanks so much. I can't get the first link about the brake light to work though. I am pretty clueless though. How would I go about wrapping the bulb terminals. I know the issue is with the front main headlights.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:19 AM

'99 E430, '05 ML500, '15 GLK350
You can safely paint the calipers.
It is not uncommon to get occasional "lamp defective" warnings caused by iffy connections in the bulb sockets, esp in the rear. Electrical contact cleaner can help.
Foglights will fail after a while, and the license plate bulb can also trigger the warning.