E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Transmission Toast?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 12:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 e320 ,2006 AMG S55
Transmission Toast?

So i went to the mechanic today to get it checked out and he told me the fluid was burned and that it had trouble going up a incline. Which i totally believe him,its the reason i took it in.

He suggest not doing a flush,to just get it rebuilt for 3,700 dollars. He said if they flush it that itll be the final nail in the coffin.

Should i just go buy a dip stick from the dealer (i have a whole sale permit and ive bought cheap parts all the time before) buy trans oil,drain it and refill it my self and hope for the best ?

Or do you guys think it will indeed break it ?
Old 10-04-2013, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
First, you might shop around a little for a dipstick tool. Usually, ~$70 at dealer and ~$30 online. That will pay for 2 qts of the correct MB AFT. I suggest that you drain the pan and the TC ( about 8 qts ), remove the pan and examine the bottom for debris. If there is only small particles that's pretty normal but large pieces of metal or graphite suggest more severe damage. At that point you can talk intelligently to someone who repairs transmissions. Clutch plates and parts in valve bodies can be replaced. Draining and replacing the fluid should have no bad effect. However, it may not make any improvement in slipping unless the level has been too high or too low for an extended period. Be sure you understand the correct procedure for check the ATF level -- transmission up to full temp, level ground and in Park with engine running.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,051 Likes on 972 Posts
1999 E300TD
If the fluid has burnt smell, that has nothing to do with the conductor plate, more like clutch plates, especially if the car wont go up a hill---yep you can continue to throw good after bad, but that just makes the replacement that much more expensive----the other bad news is that the car has a value of about 3000 with a good tyranny---**** off on getting a new tyranny, sell your to someone who really must drive a MB then take the 500 bucks and get another car..
Old 10-10-2013, 07:30 PM

1999 e320 ,2006 AMG S55
so my options are
sell the car for cheap,take that money get another car
let the dealer steal it from me to get another car
pay the dealer or certified mechanic to replace the tranny oil anyways and hope it wont break
Old 10-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,051 Likes on 972 Posts
1999 E300TD
I like option 1 and 4, Option one----"let the dealer steal it from me to get another car"

Option 4, refill with new fluid and sell the car to your wifes mother!!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 E320 W210
just do the flush see what happens.....
Old 03-22-2014, 08:27 PM

1999 e320 ,2006 AMG S55
Oh wow ok fast foward to 9 months later,i researched on youtube and found a guy called kent from mercedessource on youtube.

He made a series of videos about a common problem on the w210s i was convinced that was my issue. So i bought a new socket,conductor plate,new transmission oil. Did the repair myself and the car shifts like brand new !

Cost me a total of 380 dollars to get the car fix and it sat all that time for no reason. I think really all i had to do was unplug this huge wire from the tranny that goes to the conductor plate and clean it,it was full of tranny oil. But since i had to drop the pan anyways might as well replace the conductor plate
Old 03-23-2014, 09:33 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
1997 E300D
Thanks for getting back to us with the solution to your problem. The information is very valuable to others of us who might develop the same set of symptoms.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:14 AM

Jeep Grand Cherokee
That's awesome, congratulations on doing some research and fixing it yourself for cheap.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2012 SLS AMG
Forum Members,

I want to post this for any future members that may be having trouble with the 722.6xx Automatic Transmission in their 210 Chassis E-Class.

Issues as mentioned in the above posts are quite common for the 722.6xx series Automatics. Below, I have links to many of the components that will fix some of these issues. Don't pay for a new transmission, or to have yours rebuilt, when the issues may be solved for far less money.

Fits off, the fluid and filter in the 722.6xx series transmissions should be chaged every 40,000 miles to keep them working at their best. We offer service kits that include everything you will need to perform the fluid service, and the fluid in our kits meets Mercedes-Benz specification 236.14 so you know that you are using the correct fluid in your 722.6. The transmission service kits can be found HERE, or by clicking on the photo of the transmission service kit below.

If you are changing the fluid in your 722.6xx, and you do not have the dipstick tool to measure the fluid level, we offer the genuine Mercedes-Benz Automatic Transmission Dipstick Tool as well. This is the same tool that is used by the technicians at the dealership, and being a genuine Mercedes-Benz product, quality is top-notch. The Dipstick Tool can be found HERE or by clicking on the photo of it below.

Another commonly faulty part inside of the 722.6xx is the Conductor Plate. This part sits on top of the valve body, and is where the shift solenoids are attached. All of the commands from the transmission control module must go through this Conductor Plate, so if it is faulty, major driveability issues will result. We have the Conductor Plate available HERE, or you can get to it by clicking on the photo of it below.

If you are replacing your Conductor Plate, you will be removing the oil pan and filter, so it is a good idea to buy a service kit at the same time.

Another common issue with the 722.6xx is failure of the wiring harness spacer, or pilot bushing as it is often referred to as. This components is where the wiring harness from the Transmission Control Module connects to the Conductor Plate. Over time the o-rings will become brittle, shrink, and begin to leak. Not only will this leave spots on your garage floor, but it can also lead to major shifting issues. The wiring harness for the Transmission Control Module acts as a wick, and transmission fluid will work its way up the wiring harness and into the Transmission Control Module. While transmission fluid itself is non-conductive, used transmission fluid can be conductive, as tiny metallic particles build up in the fluid due to regular use. Once this conductive, metallic flake-filled transmission fluid enters the TCM, it can cause a short, leading to shifting issues.

The best way to remedy this is to replace the Wiring Harness Spacer before it begins to leak. We offer brand new Wiring Harness Spacers HERE, or by clicking on the photo of the Wiring Harness Spacer Below. We also offer Wiring Harness Spacer Kits, which include the spacer, a liter of fluid and the transmission dipstick tube cap lock pin. This is everything you need to change the Wiring Harness Spacer on your 722.6xx. The kits are available HERE, or by clicking on the photo of the kit below.

If anyone has any questions about these products, please feel free to post of send a PM!
Old 03-25-2014, 09:29 PM

1999 e320 ,2006 AMG S55
yup awesome post i had to buy all those things !
Old 07-15-2014, 08:01 PM

02 CLK430 Vert & 03 E500
Talking

Originally Posted by kyosuke
so my options are
sell the car for cheap,take that money get another car
let the dealer steal it from me to get another car
pay the dealer or certified mechanic to replace the tranny oil anyways and hope it wont break
Originally Posted by kyosuke
Oh wow ok fast foward to 9 months later,i researched on youtube and found a guy called kent from mercedessource on youtube.

He made a series of videos about a common problem on the w210s i was convinced that was my issue. So i bought a new socket,conductor plate,new transmission oil. Did the repair myself and the car shifts like brand new !

Cost me a total of 380 dollars to get the car fix and it sat all that time for no reason. I think really all i had to do was unplug this huge wire from the tranny that goes to the conductor plate and clean it,it was full of tranny oil. But since i had to drop the pan anyways might as well replace the conductor plate
I'm sure you're glad you didn't take any of those options and came up with another option.
did you use an aftermarket conductor plate or dealer?
Old 08-12-2014, 01:02 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz E320
Thx

I just wanna say thx. This post about ECSTuning tools and supplies has really helped me. Thx again.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2012 SLS AMG
Originally Posted by Indigo40
I just wanna say thx. This post about ECSTuning tools and supplies has really helped me. Thx again.
Indigo40,

I'm glad we were able to help out. Be sure to check us out for anything else you need to keep your MB on the road, and if you have any questions, be sure to contact us.