E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

W210 Radio/Phone problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 E300 Turbo Diesel
W210 Radio/Phone problem

Just had the battery replaced on our 98 E300TD, and when I entered the radio code, the display now shows "PHONE". The car came with the old analog phone system, but the phone connector cradle and wiring was removed long ago. The code was confirmed through MB Assistance (what a great service!), and I've tried removing the connectors from the back of the radio several times. Each time, the CODE message shows up when the power is restored by reconnecting the two plugs in the back of the radio, and each time, after entering the code the PHONE message is displayed. The old head unit for the phone system does not show anything in the phone display, and pressing END or any other button has no result.

The radio worked perfectly before the battery was replaced, as did the CD unit in the trunk. Has anyone else run across this particular problem and/or can someone suggest a solution? I've tried searching this forum but didn't find this problem. It's likely the radio just decided this was it's time to go belly up on me, but on the chance that someone has seen this before and has a "simple" fix, any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays, everyone

Hal
Old 12-17-2013, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
I think you need to remove all vestiges of the old analog phone. Both in the dash and the center console. There are lots of DIY's on doing that. Yes, there have been posts on this issue so search the various MB/W210 forums on what worked for others. You might even get lucky with google.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:00 PM

98 E300 Turbo Diesel
Thank you - I pulled the radio this afternoon and am having a local radio shop bench test it. Depending on what they find, I might be upgrading the old Becker. Looking at an Alpine with all the bells and whistles but am open to other ideas.

I'll post what results from both the bench test and trying to remove the old analog phone remnants.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, that topic comes up fairly often on these older models. Becker NA offers a repair/replacement program for older radios. They can also add an AUX-IN cable if desired.

Some people, myself included, like a radio that looks 'stock' but with updated features. I finally settled on the Becker Monza 7882 (no longer made ).

When purchased my car had a Alpine installed but the PO had saved the MB 1692.

Of course, you can try to find the necessary hardware (metal frame) and wood console panel to install a DIN 2 such as MB NAV or other 7" display unit.

Except for an original OEM radio you will probably lose the CD changer function. Frankly I think that is a blessing in disquise since a AUX-IN connection and MP3 player is far more convenient and holds a lot more albums.

Most MB specific sites have Audio/Electronic forums for such discussions.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:28 PM

E320 4Matic
MB Bluetooth Phone Adapter

Hi and Merry Christmas!

I am wondering if anyone has installed the MB Bluetooth adapter--it supposedly plugs into the existing phone connector in the center console--in an E320?

I am thinking of getting one for mine so I can use my phone instead of installing a whole new system. My car has a Bose sound system which is actually very nice and I don't want to get rid of it just for the phone.

Thanks!

Michael
Old 12-26-2013, 10:04 PM

98 E300 Turbo Diesel
OK - results are in: The phone electronics fried when the battery was replaced. Apparently, there is some part of the system that remains powered up even with the radio switched off (well, that sort of makes sense). The radio itself was fine and everything worked on the test bench.

When reinstalled in the car, the radio still displayed PHONE after keying in the correct code. The technician removed the telephone head unit, unplugged the cable and reinstalled the radio - with the same result - key in code, display PHONE.

He then cut two wires to the harness in the radio (of course I didn't see which two, but if we need the wire color I can easily slide the radio out and check them), plugged everything back in and the radio and CD changer in the trunk worked perfectly.

Those two wires go to that part of the phone system electronics that mutes the system when a call comes in. Since it's no longer in use, cutting these two wires makes no difference in the way the rest of the radio system operates, and takes that part of the phone system out of the circuit. I would love to see this in a wiring diagram, so if any one has one posting it would be much appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year all, and special thanks to RichardM98!

Hal
Old 12-26-2013, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Glad to see you got it sorted out and Happy Holidays.

aw1929 - Check the Electronics/Audio forums here and on benzworld. There are several DIYs on installing BT.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:51 PM

E320 4Matic
Thanks very much, RichardM98, I will check the other forums and see what's up. I happened across a video of a fellow installing one on YouTube, but they're $400 retail and I want to be certain it's workable before I go spending that much to have the car system talk with the phone. I rarely will answer or talk on the phone when I drive--it's really distracting--but it would be nice to have the car system work so I don't have to drag the phone out of my bag every time I want to pull over and take a call.

Thanks very much!!

Michael