E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Advice on first Benz

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E320 4MATIC
Advice on first Benz

Okay, so I'm ready to buy my first car. I fell in love with a black 2000 E320 and it's right in my price range but I just have a few questions for people who would know most about it. Heres the one I'm looking at: (Sorry for the long link)

Would this make a good, reliable first purchase that I can enjoy for years without any major issues? Is there anything I should look for before purchasing? Are they reliable? How difficult/expensive is it to maintain them? Thanks for your help!

This is my first post and first time dabbling in MB territory, so excuse my ignorance
Attached Thumbnails Advice on first Benz-1167008742.jpg   Advice on first Benz-1167008840.jpg   Advice on first Benz-1167008913.jpg   Advice on first Benz-1167009026.jpg   Advice on first Benz-1167009027.jpg  

Last edited by tyler_kinzer; 03-13-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:27 PM

2000 E320 4MATIC
Sorry for posting twice
Old 03-12-2014, 11:59 PM

2001 E320 4Matic (Desert Silver)
Ok, so I had originally written a longer reply but my internet decided to be flaky for the few seconds that I pressed reply, so the message wasn't posted, so I'll try to cover what I remember.

Nice car, priced about $500 more than what you should be paying for it. The dealer will try to say it's worth $6,500+ according to NADA, but definitely try to negotiate it down to at the most $4,600.

Try to get a warranty along with the purchase, 30-day is the norm but +60-day is obviously better to get if you can. There are too many Mercedes (and just used cars in general) horror stories about buying a used car and having the nightmare of unforeseen short term expenses. Any dealer will probably try to fight you on the warranty and what it covers, but I think it's best to have something that would CYA than nothing.

A Mercedes may be expensive to maintain, depending on income (Premium gas (93)), but it is more rare to have engine/transmission problems (some of the most expensive repairs on a car) with this car than most others and they get decent gas mileage (ranges between 17-23mpg). The problems will be the options, i.e. seats, windows, radio, controls, dashboard/steering controls, etc. Do not expect there to be no issues with the car, figure out if you would be able to afford the more costly repairs then decide if it would be worth it (realize the possibility of having the repair vs relative cost to you). Do not take the salesman line of "This car could go for another 100,000 miles without any problems," once it's off their lot (unless under warranty), they don't care.

Please do your due diligence before buying any car though, there are so many factors you need to consider before purchasing any car.

Experience:
Bought my first car a month ago as well, a Tan 2001 E320 4Matic, 114k miles for $4995 from a dealer like the link you shared (btw do not post links like that to forums like this (car fanatic forums). If an MB fan in that area decides they think it's a good deal, there is always a chance they will try to buy that car as well. So edit your post and delete the link please.

Unfortunately I'm limited to my current first experience with Mercedes.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320
I'm not a MB expert by any means - I'm kinda like you, except my CLK320 was a surprise gift a few years ago. I had no idea I was getting it and I didn't know anything about MB before that, and while by god I love that car, it is like having a giant baby that sleeps in my garage. It will require a lot of attention and care.

My CLK has made me one happy girl, but I'm in my 20s and it was also my first real car too - and to be honest, I probably would have been better off with something a bit less demanding. That being said - I wouldn't give up my benz now for pretty much anything.

These are amazing cars - and it will require maintenance.

I have budgeted about $1000 a year on it's twice yearly check ups and oil changes. This is a routine given I pretty much know I will spend every year at my Indy on odds and ends. I also started a special savings account just for the car in which I always keep at least $3000 dollars for emergencies. I have had to do a couple big repairs. The most expensive of which was about $2000 (although luckily I had extended warranty for that one). I have done a couple others that were from $500 - $700 which I did have to pay for though.

And do NOT trust dealerships. If you're not going to be doing things yourself then find a good Indy mechanic that you trust that does good work. And use this site a lot - the guys here are amazing. They know so much and are so helpful I'm always blown away.

I'm not trying to freak you out or discourage you. I am effing in love with my car at this point and feel like the cost to maintain is far outweighed by the immense joy and pleasure I get from driving it - I cannot overstate what a wonderful experience it is to drive and own a Mercedes Benz. But you need to be aware of what you are getting into and be willing to put the time and financial resources into keeping your new baby in tip top shape. In my experience the good times have been far far more than the bad, but you just gotta be prepared. If you are then you'll be just fine I think.

Btw - she is a beauty! I can see why it was love
Old 03-13-2014, 10:22 AM

2000 E320 4MATIC
Originally Posted by SigSauer
(btw do not post links like that to forums like this (car fanatic forums). If an MB fan in that area decides they think it's a good deal, there is always a chance they will try to buy that car as well. So edit your post and delete the link please.
Thank you for advising me about the link. I didn't even think about that, lol. But the website says they have powertrain warranties available so I might just look into that. Thank you for the detailed reply!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:25 AM

2000 E320 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Adarah
Btw - she is a beauty! I can see why it was love
Yes! I'm going insane just thinking about it! I'll be making $1500 a month with no bills to pay other than insurance (still live with my parents lol) so I'll make a savings account and start saving up for things like that. Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-13-2014, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
yeah, priority one should be moving out of your parents house, not a mercedes.

Have you graduated college yet? If not, whose paying for that?
Old 03-13-2014, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Other life advice notwithstanding, I would do a careful inspection for rust. Michigan is in the 'salt' belt. Areas to inspect are under doors and under trunk pull. IMO, any rust is usually a deal breaker.

Also, get the VIN and do a CarFax. Not the most accurate but a piece of the puzzle. When inspecting the car's service records look for gaps. Sometimes bad info magically disappears while good info remains. Get a PPI by a trained MB tech. If they are reluctant to have you take the car for a PPI, run don't walk away.

Shop around some more. My preferences for a used car are a) private party who has owned and driven the car for at least 2 years, b) a MB dealer (pricey but generally reliable) and lastly a used car lot. There are a lot of W210's out there and after you've driven a few (5 or 6) you be asking far different questions.

Side note on 4MATIC -- it gets slightly lower gas mileage, has additional maintenance and greater potential repair costs. If AWD is important then get it, if not look at RWD as well.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:59 PM

2000 E320 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
yeah, priority one should be moving out of your parents house, not a mercedes.

Have you graduated college yet? If not, whose paying for that?
I'm 17 and still in high school. And I'm going to a technical college, which my parents are paying for, to be an auto mechanic. My plan is to get ASE certified, work in a shop/shops for a while and learn all the ropes, and eventually become a master mechanic. My dream is to open my own shop one day. I want to buy my own car that I know will last for years and one that I actually enjoy. I want to be excited about my car and enjoy driving it, or peacefully taking it out for a cruise on a country road every now and again. I love cars, I love driving, and most of all I love Mercedes. It's always been a dream of mine to own one, and now that the chance has presented itself I'll be damned if I don't take advantage of it. I'm not just buying a Mercedes because I want to show it off and rub it in the face of everyone, I want a Mercedes because of their legendary performance, unmatched quality, and stunning beauty. Sorry for going on a rant but this means a lot to me.

Last edited by tyler_kinzer; 03-13-2014 at 01:01 PM.