E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Replacing bulb behind clock?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes E300 TurboDiesel
Replacing bulb behind clock?

My mom's E has had the bulb burn out behind the clock display. I was wondering if anyone had the part # for the bulb and instructions on how to get to it and replace it? Thanks.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 F-150 XLT Sport Crew Cab
This is what you do:

Pull the cluster out....That's right...Just pull it out hehe. Reach your hands to inside the dash right over the top of the cluster and pull it out some. Then move to the sides and pull out. Then the bottom. Once that is done go back to the top and pull one more time and bingo. There are 2 pretty long wires on the back so dont worry about messing them up. Pluse they are secured really good in there. Just unattach them and all done.

once you have the cluster out you can look at the back and see buttons that need to be undone. They are located at the top, sides and bottom of the cluster. Undo all clusters and easily remove the back of the cluster. Once this is removed you will see all the little lights in the back. If you do not want to buy one you will notice you have a ton of lights back there...You can just take one and move it over the clock. I actually did this when a light burned out hehe.

good luck.....this is a very easy job tho it sounds hard.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:24 PM

Thanks much for the tips. Any other tips let me know, I'll give it a shot the way benz mentioned tomorrow.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:37 PM

Also if anyone could post a part number or the style of bulb that would be great!
Old 12-11-2003, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Benz I know you thought of replacing the OEM blulbs with something else. I was personally thinking of replacing them with some of those "hyper white" style bulbs. I had a pair of 194 wedge bulbs in the hyper white and they were actaully nice and bright, the reason I had them. Any possibility of such an item working for th edash illumination. I would assume th eresult would be a more pronounced yellowish/amber for the numbers, etc...
Old 12-11-2003, 07:37 PM

C230 Kompressor Sport
Benz,

You make it sound like there are spare bulbs back there? Am I understanding that right? Or if you move one then it will dim out some other area. Just the left side of my display is dim so I can't see the temp. I'm assuming I just follow the same procedure as you're talking about the same display. Would you reccomend buying new bulbs, and tha part # wld be helpful if anyone has it.

What if my lights are out behind the climate controls? know anything about that?
Old 12-11-2003, 10:46 PM

Has anyone else actually taken out the cluster? Is it as easy as benz makes it seem? On another forum MB DOC posted that removing the cluster required special tools and extreme care not to break stuff....
Old 12-11-2003, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by Lightman
Has anyone else actually taken out the cluster? Is it as easy as benz makes it seem? On another forum MB DOC posted that removing the cluster required special tools and extreme care not to break stuff....
I will never give false information about how to do something on here...I have taken my car apart and put it back together hehe. Using a special tool is a bunch of CRAP. People say this for you to buy there $12 dollar so called tool to remove it. It's a ripoff. If you follow my directions you will be fine.....You can ask Alex if this works cause I gave him the same directions when installing his white face gauges. He followed and it worked. He said it was easy to do. If you want to spend money on fake tools you can do so but with me by your side helping you, you will be just fine. I have been helping people on this forum for 2 years now and I have never messed up.

Corp DL....There are no extra bulbs inside the cluster but there are some bulbs that are not required to light up a whole area. I actually toook a bulb from a top left coner and put it int he time area and it looked normal. I would recommed buying a new light cause it would only cost no more then $10 TOPS.

Mich....I was going to upgrade my cluster lights to blue cause i had white face guages but I never got the time to do it and I sold my car It would of looked sweet.

Lightman....I will get you some step by step pictures so you can see how easy it is to do. Just remember...I never will lie to someone on here. If I dont know something I will just say I dont know I know you can do this yourself....It does not matter if you are a tech or just an everyday driver. This job is so easy it's crazy how much the dealer will charge.

Good Luck Lightman! post back your results with my directions.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:11 PM

C230 Kompressor Sport
Thanks Benz,

I trust your directions. The only think I didn't quite get was, "Reach your hands to inside the dash right over the top of the cluster..." I can't think of anywhere I can fit my hands into. You mean just start working it out w/ your finger tips? Post those pictures for all of us. Thanks man! -DL

How about removing climate control cluster?
Old 12-12-2003, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by Corp DL
Thanks Benz,

I trust your directions. The only think I didn't quite get was, "Reach your hands to inside the dash right over the top of the cluster..." I can't think of anywhere I can fit my hands into. You mean just start working it out w/ your finger tips? Post those pictures for all of us. Thanks man! -DL

How about removing climate control cluster?
I will get you those pictures Firday....You were right about wedging your finger tips in there...Your dash will streach so your fingers will fit.....If Alex reads this thread lets see how he got his fingers in there....ALEX READ!!! hehe.

I will get you those pics.

When removing your climate contorl unit you need a tool here.....You can use normal everyday tools but i forgot which ones they were.....I will get back with you on that and hook you up with pictures cause my car is sitting in my garage wating to be shipped out when I get the title.

p.s....My PM box was full but is not empty so if you need to you can PM me again if you need something
Old 12-12-2003, 03:12 AM

an import
Part # 072601-012230
Cost $0.55 each from the dealer.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:17 PM
Almost a Member!

1996 E320
You can get the tools to remove the radio and climate control unit from a MB dealer for around $5. Simply slide them into the little slots at the bottom corners until they engage, then pull the unit out. I replaced the light in my CC unit about two weeks ago. The bulb (only 1) goes in a little white housing that twists out of the bottom of the unit. The bulb cost me $3, and the whole event took about 1 minute.
I also have a burned out bulb in my instrument cluster. I was dreading having to get in under the dash to push the cluster out.
I'll definitely try pulling it out first.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:04 PM

C230 Kompressor Sport
The @%$#*&# Dealer!!!!

I bought a couple bulbs at the dealer, one for the odometer cluster $4.55 & one for behind the climate control $2.70. I asked the parts guy how much it was for the radio/climate control release tool and he said, "let me price the face of the climate control unit first, it's $1,000 therefore it's cheaper if you let us do it." What a freaking jerk! He was making the assumption I would be incapable of doing this on my own. Just answer the damn question of how much the part cost! Granted, I was wearing a business suit and probably looked mechanically inept like the other fools they rip off.

I was also told that the instrument cluster is also "way too hard" for me to remove and "dangerous" in that I might break something, and that I also needed a "special tool." I was thinking you're the tool. It's just unbelieveable that you walk into a dealership and they virtually insult your ability to change a light bulb having no knowledge of my background. When I had my Nissan the parts counter would give me tips for the installation of whatever part I purchased. Very helpful, same with the Acura dealer.

So anyway, I just bought the bulbs and will follow Benz's directions on the cluster and find a friend who has the tool for the climate control unit. Benz, if you have any pics of either of those procedures that would be helpful...I've only owned this car for a year and am not as comforatable w/ MB's as I was w/ Hondas & Nissans.

To top it off...the MB parts guy said in an insulting manner, "Sir, your bill is a whopping $7.37." he was pissed that I wasn't dropping big coin for them to change my bulbs!!!!! ....what a @#^$#&$

Sorry guys, had to let off some steam...and I knew you'd understand. These stealerships are as enraging as Sprint PCS.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:06 PM
Almost a Member!

1996 E320
The ******** behind the parts counter seem to forget that if they could afford our cars, they wouldn't be sitting behind the parts counter in the first place!

Regarding pulling the instrument cluster out by sticking your fingers in at the top - forget it. I tried, but couldn't get the thing out. The cluster seems to have to be pulled out squarely, or else it won't come out.
I ended up dropping the under-dash liner and squeezing my hand up inside enough to push unit out. It worked fine, and no broken stuff.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:55 PM

'98 E320
Gents, Having spent the $12.00 +/- for the dash cluster pullers, I felt it was a cheap tool (set of two) which worked very well. The back of the dash cluster in the lower arcs has receeding steps molded in the housing. The steps give the tool something to grip. The tool(s) have handles like a cork puller, a straight wire about 6" long, and an "L" bent in the end; about 1/4" long hook. You could use two lengths of coat hanger with a similar "L" bent to engage the steps ... but for $12 ... The cluster is simply pressed into the dash ... like a cork into a bottle. The fit is similar too, very tight. You gently force the tool(s) (or coathangers) in between the cluster and the moulded dash at the lower corners. At about three inches depth, turn the tool(s) so the "L" aims toward the center of the cluster and engages the steps, then gently but firmly start to pull the cluster out. It helps to lower and extend the steering wheel to the max. I'm guessing the force to be 20 to 30 lbs. When your bulb adventure is complete, simply press the cluster back into its hole ... the wine bottle analogy again.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:17 PM

C230 Kompressor Sport
Thanks for all the help guys.

I just replaced my bulb successfully and pulling the instrument cluster is a "however you can pull it out" type of procedure. It wasn't that hard yet the thing really is in there tight. I was finally successful with a combo of pushing it out from the bottom left while simultaneously pulling it w/ a bent coat hanger. From what I've heard everyone saying, it seems as though each car has its own charachter as what works as there was NO WAY I could get it out from the top with my fingers (and I did stretch the dash up to get my hand in there). Again, all the tips very helpful...