E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Some questions from a Newbie -- Kinda long

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 CL55
Smile Some questions from a Newbie -- Kinda long

Hello All,

I am new to this board, and I just picked a Silver/Grey 1999 E320 Wagon for my wife. My wife and my kids already love this car:p

The car has about 29K miles on it with a production date of July 99. I am not familiar with the option packages but this car seems to have most of the options including Xenon, rain sensors, 3rd row seat, CD Changer, etc.

The dealer is offering me STARMARK certification for 100K miles and 4 additional years after the expiration of the factory warranty for $1900

I have some questions about this extended warranty.

1. The radio, CD player, antenna, phone, navigation systems are excluded from the warranty. From you experience what is the likleyhood of these items breaking before 100K?
2. This warranty lists the covered parts (if a part is not listed, it is not covered). Did this cause any of you trouble with any STARMARK warranty claims?
3. Is this a good price for this warranty?

I will be also looking to modify this car a little, I would like to ask you what would be the best performance/handling mods that would give you the most bang for the buck?

One last question, I noticed that the temp. gauge goes well beyond the mid point. Is this normal?

Your help and feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

OG

Last edited by Wife'sWagon; 03-20-2002 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Negotiated on the cost of the warranty. Call other dealers and get prices to compare. The radio and CD are covered under the original warranty until the original selling month in 2003. Those excluded items are trivial plus the car has no Navigation system. Don't opt for the 1999 phone system - not digital I here.

Do a search to read about others and extended warranty issues and prices.

If this car is for the wife and kids don't do to much upgrading. The wife and the kids may not appreciate a louder car with a lower stiffer ride with low-profile tires that easily bend.

Last edited by E55 KEV; 03-21-2002 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-20-2002, 08:44 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on your new ride!! :p

do you have some pics to share??

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2002, 10:48 PM

1999 Mercedes E300 TurboDiesel
welcome to the E-brotherhood :-) Kevs right about the mods being possibly offensive, although I bet if you have boys they'll think its cool. Regardless you could get minor (psychological) gains from switching to a K&N air filter for about $40. Then go for the Kleeman supercharger kit :-) i'm sure starmark wouldn't mind =] (ONLY) $14,000!!)

Let us know how you do with the warranty situation. Does anyone know if its possible to buy a starmark warranty if you're the second owner of a car, and didn't buy it from a dealer?
Old 03-22-2002, 06:05 PM

'96 E320 / '01 E240 /'78 PONTIAC TRANS AM
regarding the last question, unlike other german cars, it's normal for the Benz to exceed the 80 degrees mark, and the normal range is between the 80 degrees line and the next one, if the indicator exceeds it then the car might overheat and if it reaches the 120 degrees then there's a cooling problem.
regards,
Old 03-22-2002, 10:41 PM

1999 Mercedes E300 TurboDiesel
temp and mods

I forgot about that last question =] Most newer(dont have much experience with the older) gasoline mercedes run a bit above the 80 degree mark. My 606 diesel engine runs a bit below the mark.

As far as mods go, maybe go with the asthetic mods then - go for the sport body kit - either amg, carlsson, lorinser, etc... they may spruce up your wagon a bit. There so many ways to burn a hole in your pocket(or mine at least) with these cars. Too many toys.

My mom just joined the clan today actually, she just bought her first benz, a '99 E300 turbodiesel, because she liked mine so much. Doubt she'll be posting anytime soon but I'm proud of her, joining us 210 guys. (Who are rapidly becoming the old e-class owners!)
Old 03-24-2002, 02:19 AM

03 CL55
Hello All,

Thank you very much for your reply. It is greatly appreciated.

I agree with your recommendation in terms of mods on this wagon. So far my wife likes it as it is, she likes the smooth non sporty feel of the wagon and when I started talking about mods she got concerned about the wagon having a harsh ride.

The one thing she asked for is a navigation system and a DVD player for the kids. I am not ready to do this upgrade right now but I am sure I will search the forum and post again when I am ready to do this upgrade specially the fact that the kids like th 3rd seat and I am not sure where to install the screen(s) for best viewing from the 3rd seat.

In regards to the temp. It sometimes hit the 90 mark, and usually is a bit over 80. I am still not sure if this is normal or not.

I am currently out of town, and I will post some pics after I get a chance to take the pics.

Cheers,

OG
Old 03-25-2002, 10:17 PM

Benz info

There is dealer cash on benzes right now...I found the info at http://www.autospies.com/report/default2.asp
Old 03-25-2002, 10:49 PM

Coolant Temp

My coolant temp hovers around 97. Had it checked out by two mb techs including the service manager on the 2nd day of owernship who both said it was fine. Like one of the prior post states, keep an eye on anything over the 100 mark. If you hit the 120, then you have a serious problem.

I think you are fine with your engine temp, but if you feel the urge to do something, check your coolant level to make sure it's at the proper level. Check hoses for leakage and inspect the ground for any leaks. If you're still not at ease, have the car checked out by an mb tech. Make sure they inspect the fan to make sure it's properly functioning.