E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Just got my new (to me) e420, need mods.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 06:45 PM
ara

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Acura TL SH-AWD
Just got my new (to me) e420, need mods.

Just picked up my fathers 97 e420, he bought an ml350 and i bought the old car of him. Now i realized the car has a limiter set at like 230 kp/h is that normal? Second the suspension seems pretty floaty, lane changing at high speed is a little disconcerting. Maybe a suspension problem?

The car sounds great and i can tell there is a lot more sound wanting to come out. Help me out with headers, exhaust, etc.

It's black on black, paint not great shape a lot of swirls, going to take care of that in warmer weater. The traction control is pretty intrusive on snowy roads, found it easier to turn it off and spin the wheels easier.

How fast would the car be with a kleeman supercharger? Or is there anything i can do to the engine N/A? Heads, cam etc?

Thanks guys, will post pics tomorrow.

Off to drive now.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:04 PM

Mercedes W210 E280
lotsa mods you can do my friend! depends on which one is going to be a priority!

get big rims, lower it and change your suspension if it feels iffy..

i think swapping to original avantgarde springs and suspension is good, or you could always go bilstein and eibach, h&R and others..

exhaust there's Remus, AMGs, Carlssons,Brabus or even rentech from america. There's heaps to choose from, just your individual taste.

update the side mirrors to the current shpae together with the rear lights..

body kits! get bodykits! you can do it together with the full respray..

DON'T go kleeman..I was told that they're in deep **** because they've got like 5000 cars chasing after them due to blown engines..and they're getting out of the tuning scene, just doing rims and bodykits from now oon..go for Mouselman..(I know i spelled that wrongly..:P) for the e420, it will definitely raise the HPs up!

there are alsways boring heads to increase the CCz, upgrade your internal rods, etc, computer chipping..

the world is your oyster man! priority first..looks, or performance.

can't wait to see the pics!
Old 01-22-2004, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Originally posted by carlsson9

DON'T go kleeman..I was told that they're in deep **** because they've got like 5000 cars chasing after them due to blown engines..and they're getting out of the tuning scene, just doing rims and bodykits from now oon..go for Mouselman..(I know i spelled that wrongly..:P) for the e420, it will definitely raise the HPs up!
WOW...really, can you enlighten me with the sources...cuz I'm shopping around for a blower and after speaking with Cory@ Kleemann their stated HP & TQ are very impressive...but I don't want to jump the gun & not do my research!!! There are other vendors marketing superchargers...but not many pushing +500HP.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:41 AM

Mercedes W210 E280
well richard, i go tthe info from the guy who does my car here. He came back from last years German tuning convention, and words been around there that kleeman is getting out of the engine tuning business cause they've got really angry owners whos chasing them for comp. They didn't even turn out for this years tuners convention, and they're now just going into bodykits and rims. I was told that they were a break out from Mouselman, trying to be their own thing..but they're obviously having probs now. Pretty well known in Germany. Theres also something about the amount of bar they use for their pressure which is way too much incomparison with Mouselman (which is way less, and apparently produces equal amount of power)

i might be wrong, and don't shoot the message man, but this guy is pretty realiable..

talked to one of his customer who had a friend who put in a kleeman kompressor in his E230 and is now cursing cause he's got pinging probs..

Another company going bankrupt is Mutec..big suprise..

anyways else can enlighten us on this?
Old 01-23-2004, 06:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
i think swapping to original avantgarde springs and suspension is good.......

exhaust there's Remus, AMGs, Carlssons,Brabus or even rentech from america.....

No Advantgarde in the US....

What about Sebring??????!!!!!!!

Start with new sparks and performance airfilters. New Pulleys would be another useful performance mod to increase HPs - not to the extent of blowers but also not as many other residual problems.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Barev, vonses Ara, welcome to the family. There are a lot of possible mods to your E420. carlsson9 seemed to mention a lot of them for you. The possibilities are limitless, especially in here. Browse around in the differenct forums especially the tech forums. You will find a lot of useful info. to compare in there. Good luck and let the modding begin...
Old 01-23-2004, 03:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

well richard, i go tthe info from the guy who does my car here. He came back from last years German tuning convention, and words been around there that kleeman is getting out of the engine tuning business cause they've got really angry owners whos chasing them for comp. They didn't even turn out for this years tuners convention, and they're now just going into bodykits and rims. I was told that they were a break out from Mouselman, trying to be their own thing..but they're obviously having probs now. Pretty well known in Germany. Theres also something about the amount of bar they use for their pressure which is way too much incomparison with Mouselman (which is way less, and apparently produces equal amount of power)

i might be wrong, and don't shoot the message man, but this guy is pretty realiable..

talked to one of his customer who had a friend who put in a kleeman kompressor in his E230 and is now cursing cause he's got pinging probs..

Another company going bankrupt is Mutec..big suprise..

anyways else can enlighten us on this?
You need to find better information sources- your friend couldnt be more wrong in every respect.

We do not have 5000 customers chasing us for anything other than more products- we are in the tuning business for the long haul and have always and will continue to make the finest MB tuning solutions in the world. Your friend must have taken a nap through the tuner halls "at all the big shows"- we were there, right next to BRABUS etc etc.

Having just retuened from Denmark for corporate meetings I can tell you the production shop is in full swing with SC systems as well as body kits, wheels exhaust, ECU tuning etc.

What I have noticed latelt is that it seems too easy for "others" to bad mouth the competition rather than try to sell buy their own virtues- knowledge is king. Be sure you cross check your stories before you spread this drivel as gospel-

Old 01-23-2004, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 E55 AMG
I`d love to see some pics. Can you take one of the engine bay pls?
Old 01-23-2004, 05:10 PM

kleemann has been pretty good to me so far... although i must admit i haven't driven the car as much as before the install.... maybe only 7k miles.

but had it for over a year, and only the hoses have signs of wear....
Old 01-24-2004, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Mmmmm, Carlsson9, as I've said before, seems your guy has been pulling your d1ck, on a number of occassions already. Your "trusted" mechanic may not be so trustworthy as you think...always discount what you hear in Asia by 50% and always ask for second opinions. I've been with mine for the past 10 years but still ask around for opinions and pricing - I only stick with him cos he does a great job keeping it in great condition and has DAS, is the sole importer of a few major MB tuner brands, including Kleeman (even tho I know for a fact he over charges!)
Old 01-24-2004, 11:01 AM

Mercedes W210 E280
KLEEMAN, pls check your pm

I apologies again for the stuff that i wrote..was just wondering whether anyone else have heard about this. But it was my mistake for passing judgement.

however, I don't think this guy has been pulling my dick (as Whitey put it) but i will reconfirmed his facts and share it with you guys for some feedback. I just want to clear all of this, and not have any misunderstanding with anyone.

I apologies for the post, and will watch my info from now on.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Carlsson9, no need to be too apologetic as I believe most of us are aware of the good intentions of sharing your knowledge. Its all good I'm sure.

But I also wanted to warn you that not all "experienced" mechanics or dealers really know what they're talking about, especially in Asia. Many have their own opinions and some are merely personal feelings and not fact based. A real classic example I always quote is my quest for an aftermarket gearshift knob. All the shops, including my mechanic who has been racing and modding Euro cars for over 20 years swore I couldn't put anything on other than the usual MB specific stuff. That seemed strange since the shops would normally say anything just so you'll buy the part. Anyway, I got my confidence to bite the bullet by asking the fellow bro's here and used a bit of common sense after dismatling the part, the rest is history...... With hindsight, I think my mechanic objected to me getting a Momo knob because it wasn't a simple plug and play job and he preferred to keep the OEM feel in the cars he mods - a very personal point which translated to a strong objection. My point is, a second or thrid opinion will probably save you loads of $$$$ and maybe give you some individuality
Old 01-24-2004, 08:10 PM
ara

2009 Acura TL SH-AWD
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?...how&id=1207899

here are the pics, enjoy
Old 01-24-2004, 10:01 PM

Mercedes W210 E280
tell me about it! I did recognise your knob as a Momo but told myself it couldn't be because I've never seen it done before, and most of the euro shop plus the one i go too sell the whole thing as a piece..

was it a difficult to swap the knob over, cause your pic and Josh Ks was sweet!

what does it involve in order to take the knob out?

will definitely bring this question to the dude i go too and see what he has to say
Old 01-24-2004, 10:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Ara: I've said this before to some people wanting to know what they should do to their car for preformance. This is a summarized version of what I said:

You have a MercedesBenz, a beautiful machine, and something that you can love more then a machine. Treat it accordingly and go Kleemann. You can't do your love anything better.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
tell me about it! I did recognise your knob as a Momo but told myself it couldn't be because I've never seen it done before, and most of the euro shop plus the one i go too sell the whole thing as a piece..

was it a difficult to swap the knob over, cause your pic and Josh Ks was sweet!

what does it involve in order to take the knob out?

will definitely bring this question to the dude i go too and see what he has to say
Really simple. No tools needed to remove the OEM knob and an allen key needed to attach the new one which comes with the kit. Virtually plug and play but you need to ram an extra rubber washer (provided in the package) in the end of the inside of the knob to stop it from wobbling around. Just remember to choose a knob that has a beep enough hole that'll cover a ridge on the shaft or it'll look weird. Save your question for your guy, I can show you.