E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Glowplug Change/Manifold Removal on '98-'99 E300 Turbodiesel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2004 | 10:27 PM

1999 Mercedes E300 TurboDiesel
Glowplug Change/Manifold Removal on '98-'99 E300 Turbodiesel

Guys I took the time and wrote up a post with pics. Enjoy.

Glowplug Thread
Old 03-07-2004 | 11:02 AM

HALLO?? You dont need to take of the manifoil to ghange Glowplugs on that engine,only the right tools.Done it 100 times.
Old 03-07-2004 | 11:11 AM

Haha, interesting Morten, I'd like to see that circus act! I decided for more working room I'd remove the 'manifoil'. To each their own I guess. I'd love to see you get a carbon-stuck plug out of cylinders 5 and 6 with the manifold on..

100 times eh? thats a lot of glowplug changes on '98-'99 E300's, especially considering there were only 4000 imported total...
Old 03-07-2004 | 11:37 AM

I will take some photos next time.Live in Norway,99% of the taxi's are e300d+private ones.
Old 03-07-2004 | 02:15 PM

That would explain it. Anyway I'd be interested to see. In any case, taking off the manifold is very easy, and surely makes for more room.
Old 03-07-2004 | 05:50 PM

Thats right,but i work in a garage,and taking off the manifold give me more things to damage if i have a bad day.So i'm not doing it just to save time.I promise you,every day somthing goes wrong.
Old 03-07-2004 | 06:58 PM

Morten you probably don't have the same problems we do here with the carboned up heads and stuck glowplugs do you? I know eurodiesel has much less sulfur and therefore less soot/carbon, as well as the fact we have active EGR's here in the US.
Old 03-08-2004 | 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Originally posted by Morten B
HALLO?? You dont need to take of the manifoil to ghange Glowplugs on that engine,only the right tools.Done it 100 times.

Do you go in from underneath? I would assume with the engine cover off and a small individual, he could get in there with some tools, it is pretty empty. On an E300 non-turbo that is. But the turbo has some more plumbing in the way...
Old 03-12-2004 | 10:55 PM

E300 TD
Thumbs up

Good work Lightman, I see You really have Great (unique though) commitment to this forum. I also did mine and just wanna throw in my 5c for those who doesn't have an access to the hoist or dosn't wanna crowl under it. You can actually do the whole thing from the top. It is a bit uncomfortable for a moment when you twist your hand under the intake manifold to un/do the little bolt for intake support bracket, but still it is possible.
GLuck to You All
Old 03-21-2004 | 01:31 AM

Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Wrng again!

Originally posted by Lightman
. . . E300's, especially considering there were only 4000 imported total...

I just love it when ol' Dave puts his big foot in his dumb mouth!

His figure of 4000 total imported is short by exactly 2592 units.
(Source: MBZ official site)

This incorrect information from someone who advised against chipping the diesel because the WSA 330 tranny was not strong enough for the extra horsepower and torque. Seems he also failed to follow his own advise! Wonder how long that "weak" tranny will last?

'Course with no T/C lockup, I don't see how he'll have any transmission problems, but still . . I guess its okay if you have deep pockets?

Old 03-21-2004 | 01:41 AM

Big deal so my figure of cars produced was off, the point was there are a limited number of these cars here.

Clearly Derrel you are just upset that you were proven wrong over and over again on the tdiclub and made a fool. The E300 clearly has a locking torque converter. I also learned from the mbinfo cd that my E300 has the 722.6 transmission, which I told you before, and this transmission can handle the torque of the chip.

I'm sorry you're so jealous Derrel.

Here I go and take all the time to post this guide for E300 users and you have to come and start nonsense. Shows your maturity level Derrel, get a life.
Old 03-21-2004 | 02:20 AM

Dave baby . .

What makes you think that anyone is jealous of you?

The tranny in your car is the same as the one in the E-320s, and is only able to handle 330 nm torque, hence the model number WSA 330. Now if you had the WSA 580, I'd not be worried, but you do not, and you'll be crying uncle when you have to pay that $3K or more bill to get yours replaced. 'Course, I guess you feel you need the "extra" torque to spin those big heavy wheels and tires you prefer. Oh well, to each his own.

You complain about a relatively few bucks to replace the glow plugs at the dealership? What'll you be crying when you have to shell out for the entire tranny. BTW, when they go, everything must be replaced. Catch it before this happens as the dealer did with mine, and it is relatively cheap and easy to save 'em.
BTW, I've got considerably more miles on mine.

And as far as being proven wrong anywhere uncluding the TDI group, name it.
At least, I'm still able to post there under my true name, and don't have to try and sneak in under an assumed handle! I was not kicked off; What did you do to get the boot there?

But like everything else you do, that is atypical of your nature. My point here is to simply tell others to take evrything you say with mucho salt.

Just because old Dave say its folks doesn't mean its true.
Readers beware.
Old 03-22-2004 | 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Originally posted by Green E-300 DT
Dave baby . .

What makes you think that anyone is jealous of you?

The tranny in your car is the same as the one in the E-320s, and is only able to handle 330 nm torque, hence the model number WSA 330. Now if you had the WSA 580, I'd not be worried, but you do not, and you'll be crying uncle when you have to pay that $3K or more bill to get yours replaced. 'Course, I guess you feel you need the "extra" torque to spin those big heavy wheels and tires you prefer. Oh well, to each his own.

You complain about a relatively few bucks to replace the glow plugs at the dealership? What'll you be crying when you have to shell out for the entire tranny. BTW, when they go, everything must be replaced. Catch it before this happens as the dealer did with mine, and it is relatively cheap and easy to save 'em.
BTW, I've got considerably more miles on mine.

And as far as being proven wrong anywhere uncluding the TDI group, name it.
At least, I'm still able to post there under my true name, and don't have to try and sneak in under an assumed handle! I was not kicked off; What did you do to get the boot there?

But like everything else you do, that is atypical of your nature. My point here is to simply tell others to take evrything you say with mucho salt.

Just because old Dave say its folks doesn't mean its true.
Readers beware.
Old 03-22-2004 | 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Grandpa, PUT a sock in it!

We're all sorry that you play soap on a rope with your "technical advisors" that are never wrong.

Has your ignorance surpassed your ego? There have been many posts on many forums regarding how stealerships take consumers by the collar for simple glow plug jobs, exagerating figures and lengthy repair times.

When was it ever wrong to help others that are unknown to you? Isn't that what LightMan has done issuing a basic guide for the backyard mechanic on replacing something that is mere maintainence?

C'mon coke bottle Derrel. Act your age and stop baggering others with your ignorance. We're all here to help one another. You do nothing other than asks foolish question, make foolish, egotistical remarks........
Old 03-22-2004 | 10:44 AM

Derrel is an interesting character folks. He's been proven wrong time and time again with CHARTS from the OFFICIAL mb tech info cd, particularly on the tdiclub thread. I had a personal disagreement with one of the whiner moderators at TDICLUB and was banned. Derrel was so upset he was getting proven wrong by multiple people, that he had to try to focus his energy on pointing out that I was there, a banned member, on another screen name. It was so funny, because he was completely screwed being proven wrong with facts, and was still trying to attempt his position... The thread got closed because it was ugly how badly Derrel was getting humiliated

Derrel, stop being so cheap and shell out the money for the MB tech info cd. You'll clearly see that in mid-97 all the E-class, including your E300 switched to the 722.6 trans from the previous 722.3. The trans has no problem holding the added torque of the chip. I dont forsee one either. Yes, if it breaks, I'll fix it. Big deal, I didn't buy a geo metro with a wing and a prayer that nothing would break for sake of paying for repairs... It's a mercedes. If you own one you should be able to afford to fix it when it breaks. You gotta pay to play Derrel - welcome to big boy toys.

The fact is, Derrel is upset I've proven him wrong on several occasions, is a total troll, and only serves as a pest to the forums. Derrel, when's the last time you CONTRIBUTED something worthwhile or useful to the forum community? My above thread represents a LOT of time that I spent to benefit other forum members. I know a lot of people have appreciated it, and that makes me happy. It's too bad there are bitter old men like you around that are too proud/ignorant to admit when they're wrong.
Old 03-22-2004 | 11:02 AM

1999 E300 Turbodiesel
Thanks for the procedure, Lightman.
Old 03-22-2004 | 10:36 PM

Talking Idiots?

Learned over 50 years back that it is useless to try and argue with idiots. They simply to not have the gray matter to carry on an intelligent conversation!

Those that have one of these fine cars know what I'm talking about. Those whose father may have one but possibly have not driven the car themselves are not qualified to address the question.

Having owned two '99s plus driven several others, and just last week having had my tranny completely gone through at the largest and busiest dealership in the country, I feel I'm a trifle more qualified to comment on this question. How many of you have done this?

I say again, these cars to not have a locking T/C.
Doesn't matter what your supposedly MBZ supplied CD says. Try inspecting the parts yourself and working with the factory trained mechanics, and then you'll be qualified to comment as I do.

I wonder just how many of you supposed "experts" have even seen the insides of your cars transission?

End of story. Anyone wanting the straight skinny may email me privately.