E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Power seat button malfunction anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 09:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Power seat button malfunction anyone?

My driver's side power seat will move forward when I push the button back. All the other adjustments work well. The only way I can get the seat to move back is by using one of the seat memories. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this. Do you think I will need a new power seat switch?
Old 06-28-2004, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
If you need a new power seat control (with steering & memory), let me know. I have one extra.

You may want to check out the power seat controller (under the driver seat). If that stuff malfunction, it'll cost you lot of money

Originally Posted by tony
My driver's side power seat will move forward when I push the button back. All the other adjustments work well. The only way I can get the seat to move back is by using one of the seat memories. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this. Do you think I will need a new power seat switch?
Old 06-28-2004, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the offer. I assume that it must be the power seat control in the door since the seat itself will move back when I hit the appropriate memory button. I'll keep you in mind if I decide to replace the power seat control. Is the seat and steering wheel control just one piece? Thanks
Old 06-30-2004, 05:44 PM

Well, someone e-mailed me an article in Star magazine about malfunctioning seat switches. It gave a step by step tutorial about fixing the switch. Basically, a spot of sodder breaks and has to be resoddered. Easy fix. Took me about an hour to do, most of which was removing and replacing the door panel. I replaced my bad door strap while I was in there.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Please post it up to Help Others!
Old 06-30-2004, 09:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 E320 4Matic in White/Charcoal...
Originally Posted by tony
This switch is a common problem on W210s. The last issue of the Mercedes Club's magazine had an article on the repair of these switches. Basically, you remove the switch assembly (the whole thing looks like a "black box" with a green circuit board on the back) from the door panel. Then, pop the black plastic cover off of the circuit board. Find all the lead pins from the lower seat cushion switch (the one that moves the seat forward and backward) where they are soldered to the board. Since this switch gets pulled-on the most, the resulting slight flexing of the pins tends to loosen the solder joints over time, causing all manner of weirdness in seat operation. The solution is simple: just dab a little resin flux on each solder joint and then reheat each joint with a soldering pencil! According to the magazine, this should solve the vast majority of seat switch problems in the W210. Of course, all this assumes that your problem IS a switch problem. Good luck...
Old 06-30-2004, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
yes post it up, i just had a problem with the passenger side...... everything works execpt the back part goes down but only comes up a little bit..........
Old 07-02-2004, 10:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
hey i have the same problem seat will move forward when i am pushing back on drivers side and I have to use seat memory to get back!
The following users liked this post:
Zhoolka (03-11-2021)
Old 07-13-2004, 11:31 AM

E320 power seat problem

I had the same problem twice. However, this is how I could have remidy the situation.

1) Get out of the car and leave the driver side door open
2) Move the power seat all the way to the front using the seat switch (have to move completely to the front)
3) Now it should work like before

Hope this will help!

some reason, it seems the procedure reset the problem. Mine is 2K and it seems there are few minor electrical problems here and there.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:25 PM

1997 E320 Avantguarde
Question E320 Electric seat switch and head rest drive problems

Thanks for your collective info on the seat switch problem I've got the same issue with fed/back control.

I also have a problem with the head rest not lowering unless assisted with a push - the motor drives, you can her it run, but the head rest does not lower.

Can anyone offer help on head rest drive problems?
Old 09-03-2005, 05:39 PM

Power Seat Switch

I just want to add that I have an E430 and that my drivers side power seat switch was not working well . I could move forward but not backward except with the preprogrammed memory buttons . I fixed it by opening the drivers side door and moving the seat forward all the way to the end . It fixed the problem
Old 09-04-2005, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
i tried this out last night by moving the seat back to the end and then to the front and nothing..........everything else works but the seat doesn't come up after a certain point?

any help would be great.....
Old 09-26-2005, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by MARK CUMMINS
Please post it up to Help Others!
If anyone needs the instructions from the article in Star, send me a private message by clicking on my username and I will e-mail it to you.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:25 PM

cadillac
Had same problem with back rest lever, fixed, however i had to move the seat all the way forwaed AND all the way back to the limits.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:04 PM

88 535is, 89 318iT
Originally Posted by chul
1) Get out of the car and leave the driver side door open
2) Move the power seat all the way to the front using the seat switch (have to move completely to the front) Edit: hold the button forward until you hear it click, like in resyncing the windows or sunroof.
3) Now it should work like before
This is the process to resync the front seats. It should always work for the backwards switch problem.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:52 PM

1998 w210 200 e
seat move button bulb does not light