E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

E-Class phone question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E55
E-Class phone question

Hello all,

I currently have a 2000 E320 with the built-in Motorola Star Tac (black) phone (no voice recognition). The phone works well but I would like to upgrade to the newer V60 phone.

Is this system compatible with my MY2000 wagon?

thanks in advance....DarkStar
Old 07-09-2004, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by DarkStar
Hello all,

I currently have a 2000 E320 with the built-in Motorola Star Tac (black) phone (no voice recognition). The phone works well but I would like to upgrade to the newer V60 phone.

Is this system compatible with my MY2000 wagon?

thanks in advance....DarkStar
There's a lot of info on this subject in the forums. Here's an example for a CLK, but it is the same idea:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/43106-cell-phone-conversions.html

You can also check with Steve's site at www.mbenznl.com ...

In the Bay Area, it appears that AT&T doesn't want to activate new TDMA accounts (like the V60), but will do it if you push enough. I've noticed that the TDMA coverage has been deteriorating, and the GSM coverage is actually BETTER than the TDMA ever was... this is pretty amazing considering how bad it SUCKED a year ago.

I've heard that you'll be able to get a T637 kit in a short while as well... It's more expensive than the 6310i kit, but it is a LOT cheaper than the MBUSA Motorola kits.

-s-
Old 07-09-2004, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E55
Originally Posted by scorchie
There's a lot of info on this subject in the forums. Here's an example for a CLK, but it is the same idea:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43106

You can also check with Steve's site at www.mbenznl.com ...

In the Bay Area, it appears that AT&T doesn't want to activate new TDMA accounts (like the V60), but will do it if you push enough. I've noticed that the TDMA coverage has been deteriorating, and the GSM coverage is actually BETTER than the TDMA ever was... this is pretty amazing considering how bad it SUCKED a year ago.

I've heard that you'll be able to get a T637 kit in a short while as well... It's more expensive than the 6310i kit, but it is a LOT cheaper than the MBUSA Motorola kits.

-s-
Thanks Scorchie, that's good information.

I was able to have ATT activate the Star Tac but I had to beg as you mentioned. Their computer will not take the ESN on the first try, so you have to activate a "current" phone first and then switch the ESN to the older-type. The folks at the ATT store in Mtn. View were willing to do this. I think I may go with Steve's Nokia kit if it's not too expensive....//DS