E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Radio says WAIT???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio says WAIT???

Just bought a 99 E320. Radio had no power. Checked all fuses. Pulled the head unit. pulled all connections and re-connected. Got Power. I'm hoping that It needed a re-boot? Not sure. Anyway here's my question. Called in the vin and got the code for the radio. I don't have an owners manual so I'm a bit confused. When I enter the code I get WAIT on the head unit. It stays that way for about 10 minutes and then goes back to code. My guess is that this is not the factory head unit. Or am I missing something? All the fuse cards say to refer to the owners manual when dealing with the audio system and I have none. Also, any good resources for an owners manual.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by JES1680
Just bought a 99 E320. Radio had no power. Checked all fuses. Pulled the head unit. pulled all connections and re-connected. Got Power. I'm hoping that It needed a re-boot? Not sure. Anyway here's my question. Called in the vin and got the code for the radio. I don't have an owners manual so I'm a bit confused. When I enter the code I get WAIT on the head unit. It stays that way for about 10 minutes and then goes back to code. My guess is that this is not the factory head unit. Or am I missing something? All the fuse cards say to refer to the owners manual when dealing with the audio system and I have none. Also, any good resources for an owners manual.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Can't tell you where to buy an owner's manual unless you either mention where you are from, or somehow allow me to gain that knowledge through osmosis. With that information, someone will be able to tell you where to get the owner's manuals (one for car, one for radio).

Without knowing your location, I can however suggest using the "search" function of the forums. Here are some helpful tips:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/40222-how-search-other-mbworld-forums.html

And using the search resulted in this interesting (well not to me) article:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w202/35676-radio-problem-need-help.html

-s-
Old 07-17-2004, 04:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
09' E350, 01' Maxima SE, 93 Nissan Maxima SE, 1987 Nissan Maxima SE
I can help you with that. When I got my 96 E320 and it didn't come with the radio card code. Yet the radio needed a code when I push the power on. So what you need is to obtain the radio code from the dealer. If you have done so, enter the five code number then hit the SC or the Seek button and it should start working but if it takes you back to CODE again then it's not the original radio. That what happened to me, I had to get my radio pulled and they looked at the serial number and it didn[t match with the VIN factory serial number on the sheet. They had to call some place and got me the correct code and viloa, I got the radio working. So hopefully that will help.

Last edited by BenzVince; 07-17-2004 at 04:06 AM. Reason: need to spell check
Old 07-17-2004, 07:16 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the US, Minneapolis, MN to be exact.
That's what I figured, not the original radio. Guess I'll be visiting the dealer.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
dunno if this will help, jess, but wth.....

http://smallurl.com?i=15349
Old 07-17-2004, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the US, Minneapolis, MN to be exact.
That's what I figured, not the original radio. Guess I'll be visiting the dealer.
OK, I suggest getting the manual direct from Mercedes ... try 1-800-FOR-MERCEDES as the number. Ask for document services, and try to get the owner's manual and radio manual for your car. If you point out that you are an end user and owner of a car purchased used, they may provide the manuals to you free of charge. They may also charge you; if you go to the dealership, assuming they can get the correct manuals on the first try, you will definitely have to pay.

Good luck.

-s-
Old 07-17-2004, 10:32 PM

Well, tried the vin reference number, and the number based upon the serial of the deck. They were different. Neither one works. Looks like the head unit is malfunctioning. Will have to get a new one. Thanks for all the advice and help everyone.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, tried the vin reference number, and the number based upon the serial of the deck. They were different. Neither one works. Looks like the head unit is malfunctioning. Will have to get a new one. Thanks for all the advice and help everyone.
Might I suggest an Audio 10CD from MBenzNL? Give Steve an e-mail (steve@mbenznl.com). I have one in my 190E (when the COMAND is out).

-s-