E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 06:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Brake Upgrade

Anyone tried Brembo Max rotors (new ?) and Goodridge braided brake hoses (needs modification) on their E's? Are these any good? Pros and cons? Many thanks.

Last edited by Whitey; 08-18-2004 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
I wouldn't get slotted rotors for regular use. I would stick with cross-drilled ones.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Actually, I'd just got this setup..........I've found the response and sensitivity is much better than my OEMs- could be the braided hoses but I understand slots also have something to do with it. The reason why I chose these was mainly price - similar, if not less than the OEM rotors.
What are the problems with the slots? Not real sure if this particular slot patterm would be any different to the single direction ones......

Here's what Brembo says about these discs:

The special groove pattern of Brembo Max guarantees:

Maximum feedback: In the initial phases of braking a higher coefficient of friction guarantees, a better performance.

Maximum safety under all conditions:
Improvement in fading resistance - the special groove pattern, in conditions of disc temperature rising above 800°C, rapidly expels gases and optimum braking conditions are quickly restored.
Micro-shave effect - thanks to its exclusive groove pattern, this disc ensures that friction material is constantly renewed. And so there is no "glazing" of pad surfaces.

Maximum monitoring of wear: one of its grooves has been specially designed to permit a direct, rapid check on brake disc wear. When this groove is no longer visible, the recommended minimum thickness level has been reached; an indication that users should replace the worn disc.

Maximum performance in wet conditions: an exclusive design, with asymmetric grooves projecting outwards, ensures more efficient water dispersion present on the disc surface.

Maximum resistance to corrosion: these discs are given a special anti-corrosion treatment, so that brake discs do not need to be cleaned before installation. This clearly benefits in terms of costs and time saving. Moreover, sections not subject to the braking action are painted, so avoiding "eyesores" caused by corrosion of the brake disc.

Last edited by Whitey; 08-18-2004 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
As you may remember, I could and would have got one of these Black Diamonds for better looks, except for they cost almost double and couldn't get the drilled Brembos :

Last edited by Whitey; 08-18-2004 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:07 PM
E43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E430 Sport
From what I understand, the Brembo brake upgrades come with Goodrich braided stainless steel brake lines, so they must be good. Braided stainless steel lines generally provide better brake pedal feel and responsiveness because they do not flex as regular lines do. When I upgrade my brakes, I will probably do the full Brembo kit up front and the Goodrich lines at the back with Brembo drilled rotors.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
The Goodridges I have (all 4) weren't part of a kit and I was told these brakelines (at least ones that aren't part of the Brembo kits) needed to be modded to fit as the fitments and lengths weren't designed for the W210. Anyways, its comforting to know Goodridges comes with Brembos, presumably meaning they are not too bad.

Anyway, can anyone enlighten me (us) what the cons of slotted rotors are? There must be other reason why everyone favor drilled, besides appearance and perhaps greater pad wear.........
Old 08-18-2004, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
As the slot wears down, the channel for the gas buildup gets smaller and smaller. As the rotor gets thinner it loses it's ability to stand up to as much heat and that is when it is more likely to warp. Your pads can wear out faster. I have heard you can get a vibration while stopping with the slots hitting the pads. You will have to see how they are down the road after a while. They are swapped out more frequently on a race car rather than on your daily driver.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Oh I see.....thanks E. Since they weren't that expensive, I'll just have to see how these ones last.......
Old 08-20-2004, 06:13 AM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by E-Klasse
As the rotor gets thinner it loses it's ability to stand up to as much heat and that is when it is more likely to warp.
This is true regardless of whether it is slotted or drilled or a regular rotor.

They are swapped out more frequently on a race car rather than on your daily driver.
Race cars in general swap their rotors frequently anyways.

For some more information regarding whether slotted or drilled rotors is for you, see http://stoptech.com/faq/data/faq15.html and also http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm
Old 08-20-2004, 06:15 PM

2010 E63 AMG, 2000 E430 Sport, Dodge Charger SRT8
Check out StopTech's braided lines. Ordered a set today. Very high quality and supposed to fit our car exactly with no modification. $114 for set of 4 plus shipping. Teflon inner hose, wrapped with braided stainless steel, plastic coating on top of that for extra protection agains chafing and cuts.

Will be using Zimmerman x-drilled rotors and Pagid pads in addition to the StopTech hoses for my brake upgrade.

Brembo Gran Turismo kit calipers would not clear my wheel spokes.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
As the slot wears down, the channel for the gas buildup gets smaller and smaller. As the rotor gets thinner it loses it's ability to stand up to as much heat and that is when it is more likely to warp. Your pads can wear out faster. I have heard you can get a vibration while stopping with the slots hitting the pads. You will have to see how they are down the road after a while. They are swapped out more frequently on a race car rather than on your daily driver.
The rotor will be replaced long before the effectiveness of the slots is reduced due to wear. I've put slotted rotors on several cars. None of them had problems as they wore out.

Cross drilled rotors have their own set of problems including increased cracking between holes when they get too hot. They are generally weaker compared to slotted rotors when it comes to heat cracking. However, if you are getting your brakes hot enough to crack rotors, you've got other problems!
Old 08-21-2004, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
After a few days with the braided hoses and slotted rotors I must say the braking response is much more "controllable" and less abrupt than the OEM setup. The slotted ones squeak a bit during low speed braking but I've been told it will go away when the pads and rotor "get in sync" after a while....hopefully.

Some very interesting discussions here and the Stoptech article certainly shed a lot of light on the "warping" issue/myth. From all this I gather whether slot or drilled, cracking will occur when you subject them to alot of real harsh braking and doesn't really occur under normal driving conditions - perhaps drilled is more likely to do so. Anyway, x-drilled are definitely more appealing to terms in terms of looks to me but I'll just have to wait for my next change to try them.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Davey....very nice "short shifter for your foot" upgrade You may now be compelled to track your E-ride
Old 08-21-2004, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by Richard023
Davey....very nice "short shifter for your foot" upgrade You may now be compelled to track your E-ride
Yeah right!!! A BBK would have been the first choice but price-wise it just doesn't justify at this stage.....at least I've got the brake lines already
Old 08-21-2004, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
14'G63 AMG ,1994 Mercedes E500, 2020 Range Rover HST
Whitey don't you have the AMG C32 brakes in the front, does Brembo make those rotors for the rear on our W210. Where can i buy them.
Thanx
Old 08-21-2004, 10:28 AM

2010 E63 AMG, 2000 E430 Sport, Dodge Charger SRT8
Brembo makes a drilled replacement rotor for the rear of W210. You can buy them pretty much at any Brembo distributor. Do a search online for Brembo and you can get tons of info.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by hubert
Whitey don't you have the AMG C32 brakes in the front, does Brembo make those rotors for the rear on our W210. Where can i buy them.
Thanx
I wished Hubert , I wished. But the cost doesn't justify the extra looks and braking power I don't really need....at least right now. I've not tried other slots before but these sure seem pretty good to me (except for the squeeks, which hopefully will go away very soon).

I think the Brembo Max are relatively new on the market as my research on the web shows separate pages featuring them. Unfortunately tho' I can't find a US site that advertises them, maybe the US Brembo dealers might have them. Here's some info that I found on them - on paper, they sure sound like a great improvement on the OEMs and COST NO MORE THAN THE OEM rotors

The perfect response!

Based on its experience, Brembo now announces Brembo MAX, an outstanding new brake disc offering even higher performance levels.

Brembo MAX provides improved braking performance under all pressure and speed conditions tested in the laboratory and on the road. It also ensures greater safety in wet road conditions.

Maximum feedback

Compared to standard discs, the innovative Brembo MAX design guarantees better performance thanks to a higher friction coefficient in the initial phases of braking. This means a shorter braking distance and more efficient braking, thanks to faster pedal action and a more immediate braking response.

Maximum safety under all conditions

Improvement in fading resistance - Certain use conditions - for instance, driving down a mountain pass - cause the disc temperature to rise above 800°C, accompanied by combustion of the phenolic resins in the friction material. This determines a dangerous loss of braking efficiency due to gases forming between the pads and disc braking surfaces. The special groove pattern on Brembo MAX discs rapidly expels these gases and optimum braking conditions are quickly restored..

Maximum monitoring of wear

One of the Brembo MAX grooves has been specially designed to permit a direct, rapid check on brake disc wear. When this groove is no longer visible, the recommended minimum thickness level has been reached; an indication that users should replace the worn disc. Even so, the braking system will still continue to function thanks to the remaining grooves. A similar wear indicator groove, positioned exactly opposite on the internal disc braking surface, ensures that the disc is perfectly balanced.

Maximum performance in wet conditions

An exclusive design, with grooves projecting outwards, ensures that Brembo MAX discs disperse any water present on the disc surface in a more efficient manner. This means improved performance in the wet and, in general, substantially uniform behaviour in all weather conditions (comparative graphs 2 and 3).

Maximum corrosion resistance

Outstanding technological features, yes, but appearance counts too! With the new Brembo MAX disc, Brembo has catered for users who also place importance on aesthetic considerations. In fact, sections not subject to the braking action are painted, so avoiding "eyesores" caused by corrosion of the brake disc. This feature will be appreciated by those vehicle users who have alloy wheels.

Furthermore Brembo MAX discs are given special anti-corrosion treatment, so that brake discs do not need to be cleaned before installation. This clearly offers benefits in terms of costs and time saving.

Last edited by Whitey; 08-21-2004 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Hubert!

On second thoughts Hubert, although these are good OEM upgrades, I think you're gonna need a lot more stopping power than that for your ride, like Rich's, i.e. these:

Or one of these .....

Old 08-22-2004, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
14'G63 AMG ,1994 Mercedes E500, 2020 Range Rover HST
Yes for the front i will go with Stoptech big brake, but for the rear i will stay with stock brakes. Thats why i'm asking if Brembo makes those Max rotors for rear.
Thanx
Old 08-22-2004, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Why not matching them up back with drilled, similar to the front? Are you getting the Doc's kit? In any case, since searching the web failed to tell me whether there are any rears, I'll ask the company that sold me mine.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by hubert
Yes for the front i will go with Stoptech big brake, but for the rear i will stay with stock brakes. Thats why i'm asking if Brembo makes those Max rotors for rear.
Thanx
Yes, Brembo Max is available for the rears but from the site I'd searched, the largest E it is made for is the E300 (????).