E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

howstiff is bilstein sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
howstiff is bilstein sport

compared to hd..supposedly 30 percent more?. anyone with experience with the sport.........can u ride stock height with the sport shocks.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Originally Posted by 007
compared to hd..supposedly 30 percent more?. anyone with experience with the sport.........can u ride stock height with the sport shocks.
Yes, they are considerably tighter shocks but that's exactly why they're made that way, handling! No, you cannot use sport shocks with stock springs because the sport shocks are shorter and even if they fit, you won't be utilizing the sport shock's full range of motion. You must have shorter springs to use the sport shocks. The HD's are for direct OEM replacement with stock springs.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Almost a Member!

MB, BMW, JEEP & Suzuki
hi,
I'm looking to tighten up our 320cdi.
the car has adaptive damping, is this a problem for placing?
we've found the car to be very sloppy, You really feel you drive a very big, heavy wagon. the A6 avant and the 525d that we've driven were amazing... they are amazingly sporty in comparison.
Still like the MB more, so looking for a way to sharpen it up.

cya,

matteus
Old 09-15-2004, 12:20 PM

Bilstein Sports actually are valved the same as their HD shocks.
The only difference is the shaft length. Sports are designed for lowering springs, while the HD's are for full height suspensions.

Both Bilsteins are fairly firm on the street, and not really suggested for a casual driver looking for comfort. For that, I'd much prefer to recommend Koni's. Their low pressure design is much better suited for comfort, while still maintaining excellent rebound control needed with lowering springs.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PUREMS
Bilstein Sports actually are valved the same as their HD shocks.
The only difference is the shaft length. Sports are designed for lowering springs, while the HD's are for full height suspensions.

Both Bilsteins are fairly firm on the street, and not really suggested for a casual driver looking for comfort. For that, I'd much prefer to recommend Koni's. Their low pressure design is much better suited for comfort, while still maintaining excellent rebound control needed with lowering springs.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by jimmydagreek
I couldn't have said it better myself.
We know that How r ya bud?
Old 09-15-2004, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Whitey
We know that How r ya bud?
Good man, thanks! I'll shoot you a PM so that we don't hijack this guys thread, lol...
Old 09-15-2004, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Checked w/ my buddy who have a tune shop: both Sport and HD have same level of stiffness, just that the Sport version have shorter bounce range. You can find this information on Bilstein website as well.

FYI, the 99-02 W210 E55 use Bilstein HD as OEM, with a bit shorter/stiffer spring.

Put it this way: sport is for lower car (have to change spring), HD is for OEM spring.

Because shorter spring is often stiffer, lower center of gravity, lesser travel distant & improve handling somewhat, it makes it sound like Sport shock is stiffer.

Originally Posted by 007