E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Where to buy Hella lens for my Depo lights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG 55, 335i, Mini Cooper S
Where to buy Hella lens for my Depo lights?

I love my lights but the lens seems to be a little weak. I have been told you can replace the Depo lens with a more focused Hella lens. I was also told it wasn't a too bad DIY job.
Thank you
Mario
Old 01-03-2005, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
I'm a little unsure of your question, given the terms you're using, but I think what you'll need to improve the brightness and useful beam, yet maintaining the clear lens is to ditch the projector within. Purchase a Hella projector and retrofit it into your Depo housing. Some minor fabrication will be required but not difficult. More of an intermediate project but very do-able. I'm in the middle of doing the exact thing right now with A6 projectors, D2S, and Hella ballasts. Going this route will cost you your time plus about $350.

Ebay, HIDplanet.com, and HIDtech.com are places to keyboard shop.

Zam2000 is the lighting guru here. He's had great hands on experience with lighting mods and retros.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:04 AM

Raymond, I wondering if going to DS2's will help and do you know what Kelvins I should go. I want the look of the new Audi's or Bimmers. Also would you happen to know the model of the "city light" bulb. I know the stock lamps are H6W but the Depot's I think run 194/168 wedge. Would you know for sure? I just ordered 194 led wedge for my Depo city lights. They should match my fogs and HID's much better.
Thank you
Mario
Old 01-04-2005, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
I have an extra pair of Hella 90mm lens (coming from W211 xenon), it's already retrofit into W210 Depo projector, so no worry about fitting. If you want the lens, it's $70 !!! (I paid way more for the W211 set, but now w/ the RS6, I don't need it anyway), I can email you instruction of how to fit it into your projector.

Retrofitting is a quite bit of work, kind of tedious, but definitely not hard. If you want me to do the work, pls email me.

The OEM Depo lens is a piece of junk, no doubt.

Btw, Hella lens give your xenon a true effect of xenon (like authentic xenon on German cars): looking purple from angle or far away, but true white & bright light head on or from driver point of view, but 4300K bulbs. No need to go for higher temperature and sacrify the brightness. It's the thread on the lens that give this effect.

I think I have a set of Philips Blue Visions for driving light (W5W), new, $20 take it. Let me check, since I can't recall where I put it.

Originally Posted by E55Cent
I love my lights but the lens seems to be a little weak. I have been told you can replace the Depo lens with a more focused Hella lens. I was also told it wasn't a too bad DIY job.
Thank you
Mario

Last edited by zam2000; 01-04-2005 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by zam2000
I have an extra pair of Hella 90mm lens (coming from W211 xenon), it's already retrofit into W210 Depo projector, so no worry about fitting. If you want the lens, it's $70 !!! (I paid way more for the W211 set, but now w/ the RS6, I don't need it anyway), I can email you instruction of how to fit it into your projector.

Retrofitting is a quite bit of work, kind of tedious, but definitely not hard. If you want me to do the work, pls email me.

Btw, Hella lens give your xenon a true effect of xenon (like authentic xenon on German cars): looking purple from angle or far away, but true white & bright light head on or from driver point of view, but 4300K bulbs. No need to go for higher temperature and sacrify the brightness. It's the thread on the lens that give this effect.

I think I have a set of Philips Blue Visions for driving light (W5W), new, $20 take it. Let me check, since I can't recall where I put it.
Zam please PM me with your number and I will call you. I live in Ventura, CA. I often go to OC and I will be going this week to pick up my roof wing.
Than you for you help
Mario
Old 01-07-2005, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by zam2000

Zam, thank you so much for meeting me, and I can wait to install the new lens. You were very helpfull and I hope to stay in contact with you for future mods. By the way can you send me the link to the site where you got the DS2 phillps?
Thanks again
Mario
Old 01-07-2005, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
E55,

Quite an awesome car you got there.

Here's the buyer where I bought the bulbs from (very quick shipping, new item), I paid $60/pair, price is up a bit since (around $5)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7945623117

When you install the bulb, make sure the return-wire (that little ceramic pipe) stay straight at the bottom. Since you have H7 bulb housing, there's no lock point for return wire (OEM xenon projector housing only take D2S bulb, due to different lock point).

Here's where I got the light cover

http://www.xpel.com/

Here's explaination on how OEM xenon has purple/blue color look from away, but white close upon. For immitation, lot of people go w/ higher temperature for the color, at the cost of brightness.

http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/projector-unit.htm

Make sure you realign the light after you replace the projector: on flat ground, park you car paralel to a wall (on passenger side, i.e passenger door near wall), the aim beam from right light so that it paralel to the ground. Then park your car facing the wall, about 50 feet from it, align left light so that it has same heigh level as right light. That's for vertical alignment. Next, for horizontal alignment, aim both light so that a little narrow beam right in front of the bumper from each light is straight ahead. The inner knob is used to align vertically (up/down), the outer one (near the fender) is to align horizontally (left/right).

Zam, thank you so much for meeting me, and I can wait to install the new lens. You were very helpfull and I hope to stay in contact with you for future mods. By the way can you send me the link to the site where you got the DS2 phillps?
Thanks again
Mario
Attached Thumbnails Where to buy Hella lens for my Depo lights?-light-aim1.jpg  

Last edited by zam2000; 01-07-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Thanks again
Mario
Yo Mario,

Dang bro, I had 2nd dibs on those lenses Hope it all works out for you buddy!

Yo Zam...keep me on the top of your list for the next set that you come across BTW: Doesn't look like I'll be at the LA Show this weekend, enjoy and bring back some good stories w/pics
Old 01-08-2005, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
14'G63 AMG ,1994 Mercedes E500, 2020 Range Rover HST
I have one lens from a original xenon hedlight from a 99 E class looks brand new no scraches, also i have that protection film for the fron of a 96-99 all E class Mercedes will sell cheap.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hubert
I have one lens from a original xenon hedlight from a 99 E class looks brand new no scraches, also i have that protection film for the fron of a 96-99 all E class Mercedes will sell cheap.
Hubert,

I'm actually looking for the 90mm lenses (ala W211) for my projectors, I don't think yours will apply...thnx for looking out tho
Old 01-08-2005, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Richard023
Yo Mario,

Dang bro, I had 2nd dibs on those lenses Hope it all works out for you buddy!

Yo Zam...keep me on the top of your list for the next set that you come across BTW: Doesn't look like I'll be at the LA Show this weekend, enjoy and bring back some good stories w/pics
Hey Rich,
I guess you were too slow on this one. Zam was great and walked me through all the steps. I even had to put the lights in the oven at 350 so I could loosen up the stock glue. CRAZY!

Well I just got done with the ligts and all I can say is "DAMN" I can't believe how bright and how far I can see. This is what I have been waiting for. With my old lights I could only see a few feet in front of me. Now I can see for days or nights, I guess.

Good luck with your search, Rich. Keep in touch with ZAM he can really help you.
Mario
Old 01-08-2005, 09:42 PM

too many to list
your benz looks tight, good job keep it up!!!!
Old 01-08-2005, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lexino
your benz looks tight, good job keep it up!!!!
Thanks Lexino, I will post some pix soon of the new lights at night and my new roof wing.
Mario
Old 01-08-2005, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Rich,
I guess you were too slow on this one. Zam was great and walked me through all the steps. I even had to put the lights in the oven at 350 so I could loosen up the stock glue. CRAZY!

Well I just got done with the ligts and all I can say is "DAMN" I can't believe how bright and how far I can see. This is what I have been waiting for. With my old lights I could only see a few feet in front of me. Now I can see for days or nights, I guess.

Good luck with your search, Rich. Keep in touch with ZAM he can really help you.
Mario
Hahahaha....yeah, but it's all good tho bratha, cuz now you've got some experience under your belt in case I need to commission you to help me out

Yep, talked to Zam already and he provided very useful info, that dood knows lights!!! Wonder what is house looked like during xmas time