E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

unsettling sound!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320 (stock)
Exclamation unsettling sound!

Hi folks! Been reading this forum nonstop for about two weeks now, and absolutely love it. The content has been most interesting, and helpful.

I apologize if this has already been covered--despite my best efforts, I have yet to find a post relating to my issue so here goes:

1. Just got my second benz about a month ago (first was a '99 ML430, which i loved, but wrecked!) This one is a lightly-used '01 E320 which I picked up with 6000 miles on it. I'm in the baltimore area, and feel like I got a pretty good price on it. It has heated seats, moonroof, auto wiper, cd changer, and such... It was originally purchased the second week of june '01, and I picked it up (indirectly) through an estate auction for $43,000. I think I got a pretty reasonable deal... any feedbacK?

2. I would like to find a good dealership/shop within an hour of Baltimore/DC. Any recommendations? I'm taking her in for her first service at an area dealership (R&H Motorcars in Baltimore) and am so far unimpressed with them (see next item)

3. My concern with the vehicle is an unplesant "thud" or "clunk" sound that I feel on the left side of the vehicle (right around where the false pedal is for the left foot). The sound is not coming from inside the cabin...rather it feels like it is coming from the left front wheel or whatever supports it. I only hear the sound when I take sharp right turns (usually sharper than 90 degrees) at a high speed (10-15mph). The noise/feeling varies in intensity, and is usually stronger if the turn is not perfectly paved or has a slight bump or dip in it. I never experienced this with the ML, and have never felt it on older E's, so I am confused as to what it could be, or that it might be a point of concern. The dealer has had my vehicle for 6 days now, and has not been able to recreate the problem. Anyone have any helpful input?!?!?

Thanks!!
Old 12-03-2001, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Take your service manager for a ride and actually let him experience the noise, even if this takes hours. Could be a shock or other suspension piece thats loose or perhaps broken internally. Also could be a motor mount
Old 12-03-2001, 10:29 PM

2001 E320 (stock)
Many thanks! I actually did just that this evening. We took the girl for a spin and sure-enough it made that dreadful sound. The lead-technician stated that it could be 'any number of things' and that it would take a great deal of trial and error to determine what is causing the clunk. He said it could be a suspension component, or a broken weld, or something else, but he reinforced that it could take many days, or even weeks, to determine the exact cause. He also stated that I should bring the vehicle back when 'hopefully' the problem gets worse. He remarked that this would likely make it easier to diagnose. I found this to be unplesant news, as I have already been without my vehicle for nearly a week, and don't fancy making heavy payments on a car that spends its nights at the local mercedes-benz centre. I decided to take it back home, and will try my luck with another dealership when next my routine maintenance is due. What worries me most is that something very crucial might fail outside the warranty with respect to this problem. Given that I have reported trouble while the vehicle is inside warranty, will I have any problem getting repairs paid for by mercedes should the problem become more severe/obvious outside warranty????

Thanks folks!
Old 12-03-2001, 11:34 PM

'01 E55 AMG - Brilliant Silver (very rare)/ Charcoal, K2a
Random ... Me too ...

I just started hearing the same, almost 'creaking/thud/clunk' sound from my left-front wheel area. Happens during off-set turns as well.

I've got my 'B' service scheduled for Tuesday of next week ... and I just added this 'noise' to my list about an hour before I read your post.

I'll let you know what my Service Tech says (and you do the same if you see another b/4 I do).

Regarding the warranty ... you should have no problem ... even if the noise contributes to more damage ... as long as you documented the problem and your complaint was entered into the service log on the MB computer (get a print-out for your records) ... it's now MB's duty to mitigate the problem or be responsible for any successive damage ... you did all you could do ... and that was report it.

Remember ... get a copy of your service record to be sure your complaint has been logged ... the service record report of the problem is your smoking gun.

Regards,
Old 12-03-2001, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
I'm going to p!ss in the wind here and say it's the front stabilizer links.
Old 12-03-2001, 11:58 PM

'01 E55 AMG - Brilliant Silver (very rare)/ Charcoal, K2a
I'm going to stand 'up-wind' ... and say 'really'?
Old 12-04-2001, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I have never been put off by my dealer by "bring it back when it gets worse" . I, in fact would not tolerate that. Why not call MBUSA and comment on that statement. I understand that the dealer in Annapolis is good. Mine is excellent but well over 100 miles from you. My 01 E320 4Matic does not do that. and it has been just about perfect from day one. Wish my ML500 was as good.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:24 PM

I have an '01 E320, and I have detected the same sound. DREW, I am not sure where in FLA you are, but for both our sakes, I hope you use Autohaus in Pompano. That is where I am scheduled take mine in on Thur. Dec. 13. It seems to be a fairly common event (the sound or my Autohaus visit??? you guess). Hopefully they will know immediately what it is and fix it.