E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Need good mechanic advice...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need good mechanic advice...

Hi guys. First post. I just got my coil springs replaced and the guy told me I would need a 4-wheel alignment. I took it to firestone and they told me they could not do the alignment because of the special tools needed. They recomended the dealership. I called a local MB dealership, and they quoted me $175 for the alignment. Which seems kinda high, but then again, I am new to MB. Is that a normal price, or would I be better off going to an independent MB mechanic?

Also, after picking my car up from the guy who did the suspension, now I am getting the dreaded "BAS/ESP/ABS" light. Could this be related to my recent replacement of the coil springs? Never got the light before. Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions. Glad to be on the board...
Old 02-17-2005, 03:17 PM

e320 99
that doesnt sound too crazy because MB dealership charged me $112 just for the charcoal filter.
As far as ABS light thing, make sure that your wires pluged in near your breaks, etc.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:38 PM

Mercedes W210 E280
Thats mighty pricey for a 4 wheel alignment...

Costs only like US20 here in Malaysia..but hey, we're a third world country.. alignment shouldn't be a major problem like all others..

In terms of your ABS/ESP light, could be
i.) your ABS sensor has gone kaput
ii.) Your brake switch has gone kaput

you'll need to get this checked my an MB personnel cause after changing the sensors it will involve resetting the ABS/ESP. Just did these recently for my car.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:20 AM

Well it looks like I will need to take it to the dealership.

Do yall think there is a connection between my recent coil spring replacement, and my sudden "BAS/ESP/ABS" light, or is just a terrible coincidence?
Old 02-19-2005, 03:45 AM

Mercedes W210 E280
actually, could be possible...:/

the whole problem for me happened after i changed to Bilstein SPs..

funny coincidence ay ? but my car is almost 8 years old
Old 02-24-2005, 02:24 PM

UPDATE: I found a great mechanic here in Fort Worth Texas who does only Benz and BMW. Here is his website if anybody in Texas is looking for somebody.

http://www.autoheinz.com/

He is an older German guy who REALLY knows these cars. I got my allignment done the same day, and what is even better, is it was only $60 bucks!!! He also got the sensor light to go off by resetting the steering angle sensor.

I pick it up tomorrow. I have heard many people who have THOUGHT they had the BAS/ESP light fixed, only to have it go off again. Lets hope I am not one of those people!
Old 02-24-2005, 07:26 PM

Mercedes W210 E280
Originally Posted by SirStrongbad
UPDATE: I found a great mechanic here in Fort Worth Texas who does only Benz and BMW. Here is his website if anybody in Texas is looking for somebody.

http://www.autoheinz.com/

He is an older German guy who REALLY knows these cars. I got my allignment done the same day, and what is even better, is it was only $60 bucks!!! He also got the sensor light to go off by resetting the steering angle sensor.

I pick it up tomorrow. I have heard many people who have THOUGHT they had the BAS/ESP light fixed, only to have it go off again. Lets hope I am not one of those people!
good luck dude! went to the webpage..looks like a nice dude...hope everything goes well with your car! what better way then to have a german fix a german car!
Old 02-25-2005, 05:26 PM

Well I just got the car back, and it drives awesome. That guy really did great work. He even fixed the BAS/ESP/ABS light from going off! That is the good news.

Here is the bad news. He said that whoever did my coil spring replacement did a half *** job. He said that there are several bolts that are "locking bolts" that hold the suspension together, that are not fully locked. He said that since the work was done by someone else, he will not touch it.

Does anybody know what bolts he might be talking about? I am hoping it is something I could tighten myself, since I don't see the point in taking it back to someplace that obviously does half *** work.

Thoughts?
Old 03-01-2005, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Take it back to the shop that did the work and tell the shop owner what concerns the mechanic who did the alignment brought up. Since the owner has liabilty for any work done in a potentially dangerous manner, he should be more than happy to correct any inadequacies. Of course, if he's a total dumb-***, he'll completely blow it off and make excuses.