E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

OEM Navigation Retrofit w/ pics

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Old 02-17-2008, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 SLK
Originally Posted by ViperABJ
How much will it cost to reprogram? Can the dealer refuse to reprogram the unit? Will this void warranty of the vehicle ?
It should only take about 45 mins. Cost ~ 1 hour labor...

JM
Old 02-27-2008, 12:58 PM

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
S500 W223 2021
Guys i need a short aquick answer my my Q..

I have E500 thet came with Audio APS50, I recenlty got a new command and Navigation device. I have no problem in installaing the comand, but the navigation device once i install the wiers which already made by the factory i look at the secreen still appearing Navigation Device not connected!

Note that Fiber obtic cable is connected plus another big table and the antenna, but i dont know if i have an Antenna came from the munifacture or not, also wish to know where the antenna must fix?

Regards
Old 02-27-2008, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Tariq
Guys i need a short aquick answer my my Q..

I have E500 thet came with Audio APS50, I recenlty got a new command and Navigation device. I have no problem in installaing the comand, but the navigation device once i install the wiers which already made by the factory i look at the secreen still appearing Navigation Device not connected!

Note that Fiber obtic cable is connected plus another big table and the antenna, but i dont know if i have an Antenna came from the munifacture or not, also wish to know where the antenna must fix?

Regards
On Comand APS the GPS antenna would be connected to the Navi unit at the trunk while the Audio 50 APS takes it to the front. I doubt you would have GPS antenna at the roof.

But a missing antenna would show as 0 satellites. You have to get there first. Are you sure the fibre loop is correctly built and devices in right order? Have you had it configured with Star?
Old 02-27-2008, 02:12 PM

S500 W223 2021
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
On Comand APS the GPS antenna would be connected to the Navi unit at the trunk while the Audio 50 APS takes it to the front. I doubt you would have GPS antenna at the roof.

But a missing antenna would show as 0 satellites. You have to get there first. Are you sure the fibre loop is correctly built and devices in right order? Have you had it configured with Star?
well am not sure about the Antenna,, the blue connecter end with a nile and its in the front i guess its not conneceted where is from device to any point arround.

Morever i just connect the fiber cable as its from munifacture ready made to the device but its not responding show not connected as the display.

Do i need to cut or add some other connectores ?
Old 02-27-2008, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well am not sure about the Antenna,, the blue connecter end with a nile and its in the front i guess its not conneceted where is from device to any point arround.

Morever i just connect the fiber cable as its from munifacture ready made to the device but its not responding show not connected as the display.

Do i need to cut or add some other connectores ?
I believe the Audio 50 APS antenna would be at the front, likely hidden at the top of the cluster. The wire must be going to that antenna but it would not be in use then.

Do you mean the car had two ends of fibre cable at the trunk where the navi unit is installed? Were the cables connected together? Did you see some light from one of them when disconnected (not sure if it is safe to look at the fibre, should figure it out still)? I'm afraid you don't have the navi properly in the fibre loop (or can you explain how you made sure the fibre cables are correctly connected and you have the right one in the input/output respectively).
Old 02-27-2008, 02:26 PM

S500 W223 2021
I believe the Audio 50 APS antenna would be at the front, likely hidden at the top of the cluster. The wire must be going to that antenna but it would not be in use then.

Do you mean the car had two ends of fibre cable at the trunk where the navi unit is installed? Were the cables connected together? Did you see some light from one of them when disconnected (not sure if it is safe to look at the fibre, should figure it out still)? I'm afraid you don't have the navi properly in the fibre loop (or can you explain how you made sure the fibre cables are correctly connected and you have the right one in the input/output respectively).

Thanks for sharing the information, well i better pick photos of the cables.

Note that no lights comes from the fiber obtic cable but it comes from the device only when i connect the first cable the big one in the middle..
Old 02-27-2008, 03:16 PM

S500 W223 2021
Hi Diesel Benz

I check the fiber optic cable and it seems not lighting, but in the device while connecting the middle cable so the fiber optic of the device lighting in one pen only.

I picked some photos (sorry for the quality) shows the fiber optic cable (2 wiers) and the middle connecter which is big with 3 wiers and the device from back .

Let me know the fiber optic must connected from the comand to the devie or from somewhere els.? as i know in the command the CD changer fiber obtic useually connected there.

btw while searching through some threads, i found this instructions:

1. Locate the two Most cables coming form your Nav unit. There should be one side not connected to anything with a black connector on it aand the other is just hanging free

2. locate the 2nd cable that is on a connector it should say SAT or TELE or something. or AGW something I forget....( someone help me out with this I'm getting old)

3. disconect the conector and connect the red tipped side to the white tipped side of cable going to the nav.

4. then take the red tipped side coming out of the nav and and connect it to the white tipped cable that is free.

Now your nav unit is connected to the MOST bus. It should work now.

but i need more clearify
Attached Thumbnails OEM Navigation Retrofit w/ pics-dsc01146.jpg   OEM Navigation Retrofit w/ pics-dsc01147.jpg   OEM Navigation Retrofit w/ pics-dsc01148.jpg  

Last edited by Tariq; 02-27-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:26 PM

S500 W223 2021
Originally Posted by steph280
Push the blue fiber retainer and remove fiber labeled “1” (yellow fiber) from the assembly.

I am still facing error that am unable to locate the exact fiber which i must remove and leave.

Note that two fiber that i have are in orange color, the first stick on it No.31 and the seconds covered with small brown plastic. morever where to get the third fiber to replace it with the orange one as advised.

Also i check the rear door sill i found two junction of fiber and one fiber free and not connected just covered by black from the top.

Hope someone can help me with this
Old 03-01-2008, 12:18 PM

S500 W223 2021
Finally I did it,

Not that some other connected i must do where the rear left door, fiber must connected to the one which is free.

Morever once one click on view the map still not appear on the screen, i wonder why...!

Note that i just remove the anteena from the phone and radio and connect the wier which comes from the navigation device.

Am still not intallaing the antenna splitter.

Dose this effect and its behind why map is not viewing?
Attached Thumbnails OEM Navigation Retrofit w/ pics-dsc01156.jpg   OEM Navigation Retrofit w/ pics-dsc01157.jpg  
Old 03-01-2008, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Finally I did it,

Not that some other connected i must do where the rear left door, fiber must connected to the one which is free.

Morever once one click on view the map still not appear on the screen, i wonder why...!

Note that i just remove the anteena from the phone and radio and connect the wier which comes from the navigation device.

Am still not intallaing the antenna splitter.

Dose this effect and its behind why map is not viewing?
Looks like you do not get GPS fix. Did you see if it shows 0 satellites.

Are you sure your antenna is GPS capable, the roof antenna can be cell phone only (some others too and still no GPS). Why not try with another antenna first.

It may also take quite some time to gain fix the first time. Should try at an open sky place.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:15 PM

S500 W223 2021
Looks like you do not get GPS fix. Did you see if it shows 0 satellites.

Are you sure your antenna is GPS capable, the roof antenna can be cell phone only (some others too and still no GPS). Why not try with another antenna first.

It may also take quite some time to gain fix the first time. Should try at an open sky place.

Hi Deisel Benz,

As i rememebr on my W203 once i installed the Command , i was able to switch the command without antenna !.

However in this command I just saw a connected where the fuse box i guess its belongs to the radio that end to the roof, what i did it i disconnect the antenna which came the passanger area and connect the GSP wier which come from the navigation device, therefore its not working on showing map, i just want to know in viewing map whats in behind that, Is it because the GPS antenna which is diffrent than the radio Antenna on the roof or telephone? and how to fix this.

If u see you the screen it shows MAP OFF!!! any comments on this and reasons?
Attached Thumbnails OEM Navigation Retrofit w/ pics-dsc01158.jpg  
Old 03-02-2008, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi Deisel Benz,

As i rememebr on my W203 once i installed the Command , i was able to switch the command without antenna !.

However in this command I just saw a connected where the fuse box i guess its belongs to the radio that end to the roof, what i did it i disconnect the antenna which came the passanger area and connect the GSP wier which come from the navigation device, therefore its not working on showing map, i just want to know in viewing map whats in behind that, Is it because the GPS antenna which is diffrent than the radio Antenna on the roof or telephone? and how to fix this.

If u see you the screen it shows MAP OFF!!! any comments on this and reasons?
Your display says "OFF MAP", not "MAP OFF". The unit has some odd assumption of the position of the car when it does not have an update from GPS. Gyros can update your position when driving but the update would be relative to the position your navi assumes. Can you select the maximum map scale and try to browse to the area where your map DVD actually should provide coverage?

I would need your VIN to check which antenna you have in the car but if you took the cable for the antenna at the top of the rear window, it does not necessarily support GPS at all. So far I'm assuming you got it working except for the GPS signal.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:43 PM

S500 W223 2021
Your display says "OFF MAP", not "MAP OFF". The unit has some odd assumption of the position of the car when it does not have an update from GPS. Gyros can update your position when driving but the update would be relative to the position your navi assumes. Can you select the maximum map scale and try to browse to the area where your map DVD actually should provide coverage?

I would need your VIN to check which antenna you have in the car but if you took the cable for the antenna at the top of the rear window, it does not necessarily support GPS at all. So far I'm assuming you got it working except for the GPS signal.
Thanks Diesel Benz for your valued information,

Well in regarding the antenna i notice the radio signals reduced, i guess i connect the Navigation device direct with the roof antenna and disconnect the radio antenna, and so far seems my command didnt locate the position where am I ,also when i set a destination i can view the map through the info but the map didnt comes with full details of area names and such as that and once i click to start guidance it just start showing the signals rather than map and in map side its just a small signal showing my location without any other info around.

Please note my VIN # : WDB2110701A008980

Look for your comments which are highly appreciated.

Regards
Old 03-03-2008, 03:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Based on your VIN, the car does seem to have a combined GPS/cell phone antenna (I was wrong assuming the opposite. Also looks like Audio 50 APS is using the rear antenna after all). It sounds like your GPS antenna has failed (quite common for these antennas) or it does not get power. I didn't figure out how the GPS part is actually powered, I assume it must be DC powered through the antenna cable and the navi processor does this (this way after market antennas also work), in this case power for the antenna should not be an issue.

If you have any chance, test the setup with a separate GPS antenna, connect it directly to the navi processor.

Considering the display behaviour when you set a destination, it looks normal to me for a case where the Navi unit assumes a wrong position. Like if you had a US map and are located there while the Navi unit had last fix from Germany. If you set a US destination, the navi should show the direction to drive from Germany to the US. Did you try to make COMAND show the destination map?

Are you sure you have a Navigation disc that covers your destination area (difficult to say about the current location as long as there is no navi fix, or what does COMAND indicate for current latitude and longitude?)
Old 03-03-2008, 06:15 PM

S500 W223 2021
Based on your VIN, the car does seem to have a combined GPS/cell phone antenna (I was wrong assuming the opposite. Also looks like Audio 50 APS is using the rear antenna after all). It sounds like your GPS antenna has failed (quite common for these antennas) or it does not get power. I didn't figure out how the GPS part is actually powered, I assume it must be DC powered through the antenna cable and the navi processor does this (this way after market antennas also work), in this case power for the antenna should not be an issue.

If you have any chance, test the setup with a separate GPS antenna, connect it directly to the navi processor.

Considering the display behaviour when you set a destination, it looks normal to me for a case where the Navi unit assumes a wrong position. Like if you had a US map and are located there while the Navi unit had last fix from Germany. If you set a US destination, the navi should show the direction to drive from Germany to the US. Did you try to make COMAND show the destination map?

Are you sure you have a Navigation disc that covers your destination area (difficult to say about the current location as long as there is no navi fix, or what does COMAND indicate for current latitude and longitude?)
Diesel Benz

Many thanks for your replay, well yes the car came with Audio APS 50, then i purchased a command from Ebay that has two connection from back one big cable and one small for AUX, note that an antenna cable was extra that i couldn't find a hole to connect with that i left it inside the dashboard without any use due to no place to connected too.

In regarding the cell phone, it works fine but i become unable to receive a call once its ringing i dont know why.

About the rear antenna note that i connect direct the cable came from the Navigation to the antenna connection as informed you the problem still appear.

About GSP antenna i dont know if those kind of antennas are different than any other antenna, I have an Antenna for command of my old W203 C Class that ordered from Steve, i dont know if this will be useful, but i dont know where to fix this antenna, i hope if you have a photo of the GPS antenna how it looks like and part number.

About the Area Disk, yes i have the local disk i purchased and i can see the map while checking the location of the place where i want to go , but when i click to start the guidance the lady said route if being calculated, but then no display just logo of the position shows.

Thats all... and thanks for being patient in forwarding your great comments of this issue.

Best Regards
Old 03-04-2008, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The correct GPS/Cell phone antenna part number for a W211 would be A2118203575, you should already have this or an equivalent earlier part. You can probably see it from the detali EPC too:
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp...SGR=345&SGN=19

It isn't straightforward to replace this on-roof antenna as it is glued in place. I would test with a cheap, compatible antenna first (preferably test that antenna on a working car first). Do you mean you have a W203 antenna that is not installed to a car. This would likely work for testing, unless the connector is not compatible.

The "phone only" antenna looks the same as the one supporting GPS and cell phone.

There is also a "Comand antenna" but this does not seem to have cell phone support, if I read correctly (code 354 not indicated).

The cell phone issue is odd. I understood audio generally is working in the car, that means the MOST ring should be fine. Did you have the phone before the Comand upgrade and did it work earlier? Do your steering wheel buttons work otherwise? If the phone was not there before, the IC needs to be coded for phone present to activate the phone buttons. If everything was there before Comand and worked fine, it could be a CAN bus issue. So far I don't see this related to the Navi issue.

Your Audio 50 connectors should have been pretty simple. The 3 pin power/wake up, MOST fibre and GPS antenna. The radio antenna goes to the AWG at the trunk. You should get this GPS wire to the Comand at the trunk. I assume there is a splitter somewhere at the rear where you can plug a new wire.

I'm still curious about the wire you connected to Comand, is there a separate wire for GPS and cell phone from the rear antenna, otherwise the cellphone should have lost the signal when you connect the antenna cable directly to Comand. I could not figure out this, I assume the wires are separate.

Since you can browse the map, I assume you can also browse the Comand menus and check the coordinates it indicates for the current position? I'm still insisting on a missing GPS signal, even if it looks like you have the GPS antenna wired connected. By the way, since you had navigation before the upgrade, I assume your GPS antenna did work properly previously. Does not sound likely then that your antenna could be broken. Still testing with a separate antenna would be very useful.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:16 AM

S500 W223 2021
Thanks for you comments,

well,, i checked the part number in the link you posted, and yes i have this one already on the roof , and what i did is i connect the GPS antenna cable direct to that connectore without thinking about the antenna sepliter which am unable to know where it locate hope to know in order to connect the GPS cable to this sepliter.

BTW regarding my old Audio APS 50, i was able to use the phone however i can see the compase on the instrunment cluster , i guess a GPS antenna is there somewhere.

But when i uprgrade from APS50 to Command the antenna connectore is not avilable in the command than the APS50 have a connection! that why i leave it free without connecting as much no place to connect.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BTW regarding my old Audio APS 50, i was able to use the phone however i can see the compase on the instrunment cluster , i guess a GPS antenna is there somewhere.

But when i uprgrade from APS50 to Command the antenna connectore is not avilable in the command than the APS50 have a connection! that why i leave it free without connecting as much no place to connect.
The Audio 50 APS head unit has the navi processor integrated. This is why the GPS antenna is attached to the head unit itself. Comand is using the navi processor at the trunk and this is why the GPS antenna must go there. You would have to be sure that it is the exact same coax cable with a connector at the front that would be connected to the new Navi processor.
I assume you disconnected the rear antenna cable from some extension connector at the trunk and connected it from there to the navi unit? You could measure from the front that this is the same cable. I don't know where the GPS coax would be located in the trunk, possibly it was described somewhere at the start of this thread.

On the other hand, the wiring diagram for Audio 50 APS does not indicate any connector in-between, unless the car had tele-aid.

Last edited by Diesel Benz; 03-04-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:32 PM

S500 W223 2021
The Audio 50 APS head unit has the navi processor integrated. This is why the GPS antenna is attached to the head unit itself. Comand is using the navi processor at the trunk and this is why the GPS antenna must go there. You would have to be sure that it is the exact same coax cable with a connector at the front that would be connected to the new Navi processor.
I assume you disconnected the rear antenna cable from some extension connector at the trunk and connected it from there to the navi unit? You could measure from the front that this is the same cable. I don't know where the GPS coax would be located in the trunk, possibly it was described somewhere at the start of this thread.

On the other hand, the wiring diagram for Audio 50 APS does not indicate any connector in-between, unless the car had tele-aid.
Hello Diesel Benz,,,

Hope things going well with you... well thanks for your information... and the latest i have that i return back the antenna cable as it was and notice that i have splitter in my car but its already connected to the phone & Radio antenna linked both to the roof antenna i picked the photo of the splitter which is in front on the rear batter under the cover, u will see next to it also device written on it Nokia with fiber optic cable also one more device dont know for what its as photos attached.

well about W203 GPS antenna , i try to cable it but its not fitting well with the connector.

I assume as u said the GPS antenna must connect where an antenna that must be powered. I guess i need one more splitter that connect the GPS and the main other connector for the Radio and phone to the roof antenna.

The question is :

From the Command I couldn't find any gate to connect the antenna cable too??!!!

Also usually the GPS antenna where it must be connected???!!!

Hope people who upgrade from APS50 Audio to command can answer.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails OEM Navigation Retrofit w/ pics-dsc01169.jpg   OEM Navigation Retrofit w/ pics-dsc01170.jpg   OEM Navigation Retrofit w/ pics-dsc01171.jpg   OEM Navigation Retrofit w/ pics-dsc01172.jpg  
Old 03-08-2008, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi, could you post the part numbers for each unit on the photos. A211 820 08 85 is the antenna cable loss compensator (GSM 1800 amplifier), the next unit reading "Nokia" on it is the phone control unit. The last one I'm not sure, the part number would make it easy to say what it does.

You probably have part number A0009950414 at the trunk at the left (shown in the attached photo), the GPS antenna cable to your Audio APS 50 should be connected to this device. The cable going to the front should be the one facing downwards and backwards. If you have this connector, you should connect the GPS cable from your navigation processor at the trunk to this connector. I assume there is an antenna splitter somewhere further on from this connector towards the antenna, splitting the GSP/Cell phone signal from the antenna on one hand to the phone system and the GPS signal to the navi unit. The device you thought being a splitter must be the antenna compensator for the cell phone. It only has an input and an output for the cell phone signal, plus a power harness. Don't know if the antenna was powered through this device though, so better to have all devices connected as they were for the Audio 50 APS, just locate the correct point for the GPS antenna cable and connect the GPS antenna coax from the navi to this point.
Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2008, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e350 06
Success

I followed the instructions exactly. Ordered parts as specified in the thread and followed install method. It worked perfect. Thank you Steph280 and everyone else.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:52 AM

S500 W223 2021
Hello DB...

Thanks for your infomation, actully i ordered the antenna seplitter and arrived by today, well before i install it i wish to understand what to do.

I upload a pic of the antenna and markeing it with numbers wish to know in each number what should i connect? like the connector that comes from the GPS device should i connect it to number 1 or 2 or 3??

Please advise.
Attached Thumbnails OEM Navigation Retrofit w/ pics-dsc01178.jpg  
Old 03-17-2008, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 E550 W4
My dealer quoted me $2700 for the complete retrofit to the modern NAV, including new head unit, NAV hardware, wiring, etc.. My car is an 04 E500.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hello DB...

Thanks for your infomation, actully i ordered the antenna seplitter and arrived by today, well before i install it i wish to understand what to do.

I upload a pic of the antenna and markeing it with numbers wish to know in each number what should i connect? like the connector that comes from the GPS device should i connect it to number 1 or 2 or 3??

Please advise.
As far as I know, your car would not have any other device using the GPS signal, in addition to the navi. In this case you should not need the GPS splitter. Anyway, the antenna coax from the Navigation processor should go to the black output of the splitter. The coax from the GPS antenna should go to the (single) connector on the opposite side. The red output next to the black one should be for Tele-Aid. Assuming your car does not have one, the line should preferably be fitted with a 50 ohm plug. All this can be avoided if the GPS antenna coax was connected directly to the Navi, via the GPS antenna connector (at the left of the trunk, close to the trunk lid spring holder at the car side end). I assume you got a GPS antenna coax cable with the Navi processor wiring harness. This may have a securing clip than needs to be removed. Should be clear how each end can be fitted, one to the navi processor, the other one either to the GPS antenna splitter or directly to the GPS antenna connector.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: OEM Navigation Retrofit w/ pics