E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

OEM Navigation Retrofit w/ pics

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:52 PM

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
S500 W223 2021
Cool

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
As far as I know, your car would not have any other device using the GPS signal, in addition to the navi. In this case you should not need the GPS splitter. Anyway, the antenna coax from the Navigation processor should go to the black output of the splitter. The coax from the GPS antenna should go to the (single) connector on the opposite side. The red output next to the black one should be for Tele-Aid. Assuming your car does not have one, the line should preferably be fitted with a 50 ohm plug. All this can be avoided if the GPS antenna coax was connected directly to the Navi, via the GPS antenna connector (at the left of the trunk, close to the trunk lid spring holder at the car side end). I assume you got a GPS antenna coax cable with the Navi processor wiring harness. This may have a securing clip than needs to be removed. Should be clear how each end can be fitted, one to the navi processor, the other one either to the GPS antenna splitter or directly to the GPS antenna connector.
Hi DB

Thanks for your information, I just install the GPS atnenna Splitter, but still the problem appear which once i switch on the map it didnt locate current location, it just identify that my location in a country beside my country!!!!

Any other setting required to solve this problem?

Regards
Old 03-18-2008, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Tariq
Hi DB

Thanks for your information, I just install the GPS atnenna Splitter, but still the problem appear which once i switch on the map it didnt locate current location, it just identify that my location in a country beside my country!!!!

Any other setting required to solve this problem?

Regards
I had a look at the W211 combined GPS/CTEL antenna, it should have a CTEL coax cable running from the top of the rear window on the right side down to the trunk and a GPS coax cable on the left side. Did you double-check that the GPS coax from the Navi unit is heading to this GPS antenna wire (either through the GPS splitter or GPS connector)?

You may try to reset the unit, set the date etc. but I would assume it should start working after it has been on sufficiently long and in an open sky position (to reach satellites). It may take a long time for the first time.

Other than that I would either check the car Navi processor with another antenna or the car antenna with some other GPS device that accepts an external antenna. I'm afraid you've been at this point now for a while, should be close to working but if it does not, perhaps an expert should look at the GPS parts.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:15 PM

S500 W223 2021
I had a look at the W211 combined GPS/CTEL antenna, it should have a CTEL coax cable running from the top of the rear window on the right side down to the trunk and a GPS coax cable on the left side. Did you double-check that the GPS coax from the Navi unit is heading to this GPS antenna wire (either through the GPS splitter or GPS connector)?

You may try to reset the unit, set the date etc. but I would assume it should start working after it has been on sufficiently long and in an open sky position (to reach satellites). It may take a long time for the first time.

Other than that I would either check the car Navi processor with another antenna or the car antenna with some other GPS device that accepts an external antenna. I'm afraid you've been at this point now for a while, should be close to working but if it does not, perhaps an expert should look at the GPS parts.

Hi DB,,

Well what i remmember, once i upgrade from Audio APS50 to Euro Command, I notice there was a cable exactly same as GPS connector with blue head, that cable didnt fit into the Euro command,therefore i left it free without connecting it and its under the dashbord.

Do i need to take this connector to the trunk direct connect it to the Navi device? I assume this is direct linked to the roof antenna!

What do you think?

Regards
Old 03-19-2008, 11:56 PM

S500 W223 2021
Hello DB,

Hope you are arround , am just waiting ur comments.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi DB,,

Well what i remmember, once i upgrade from Audio APS50 to Euro Command, I notice there was a cable exactly same as GPS connector with blue head, that cable didnt fit into the Euro command,therefore i left it free without connecting it and its under the dashbord.

Do i need to take this connector to the trunk direct connect it to the Navi device? I assume this is direct linked to the roof antenna!

What do you think?

Regards
Sorry, been to NY for a while and haven't been reading the forum.

Yes, exactly. The Audio 50 APS has the navi processor at the front which is why the GPS cable needs to got to the front. Now with the Comand and the separate navigation processor at the trunk, this GPS cable would have to be connected to the navigation processor at the trunk.

However, you should not need to physically move the whole cable (might be a good idea to track the cable from the front to the rear to be sure you are working with the correct cable, but you should also be able to measure it with a multimeter). There should be a connector at the trunk where the cable from the antenna is connected and then extended from this connector to the front. If you can locate this connector, you should be able to first detach the cable that goes to the front (leave it unused) and put a new one from the navi processor to the same connector your disconnected the Audio 50 APS GPS cable.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
Sorry, been to NY for a while and haven't been reading the forum.

Yes, exactly. The Audio 50 APS has the navi processor at the front which is why the GPS cable needs to got to the front. Now with the Comand and the separate navigation processor at the trunk, this GPS cable would have to be connected to the navigation processor at the trunk.

However, you should not need to physically move the whole cable (might be a good idea to track the cable from the front to the rear to be sure you are working with the correct cable, but you should also be able to measure it with a multimeter). There should be a connector at the trunk where the cable from the antenna is connected and then extended from this connector to the front. If you can locate this connector, you should be able to first detach the cable that goes to the front (leave it unused) and put a new one from the navi processor to the same connector your disconnected the Audio 50 APS GPS cable.
Isn't the GPS antenna located under the driver's instrument panel cowling, when APS 50 is installed? If he wants COMAND APS, won't he have to install the rear vehicle-mounted GPS antenna?
Old 03-31-2008, 04:49 PM

S500 W223 2021
Originally Posted by murman
Isn't the GPS antenna located under the driver's instrument panel cowling, when APS 50 is installed? If he wants COMAND APS, won't he have to install the rear vehicle-mounted GPS antenna?
Well the GPS cable that connected to the roof came from the rear to the front centre dahsbord, once the command installing , this cable must go back to the rear to connect it to the Navigation device.

My problem is, how to shift that cable to the rear where the device mounted?

I am aware on how to open the dashbord centre and i notice that cable gose to the centre inside with some other cables, but am unable to reach the ways in removing it.

Hope DB can help..

Regards
Old 03-31-2008, 04:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
Well the GPS cable that connected to the roof came from the rear to the front centre dahsbord, once the command installing , this cable must go back to the rear to connect it to the Navigation device.

My problem is, how to shift that cable to the rear where the device mounted?

I am aware on how to open the dashbord centre and i notice that cable gose to the centre inside with some other cables, but am unable to reach the ways in removing it.

Hope DB can help..

Regards
APS 50's GPS cable is nowhere long enough to thread to the back of the car. You're better off mothballing the dash-mounted cable and installing the proper GPS antenna and cable at the rear of the car.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:10 PM

S500 W223 2021
APS 50's GPS cable is nowhere long enough to thread to the back of the car. You're better off mothballing the dash-mounted cable and installing the proper GPS antenna and cable at the rear of the car.
I notice its very hard to move that cable from front to the rear i decide to get a new cable and install it, but the question is where that cable came from ? The source of feed point?
Old 04-05-2008, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Haven't been reading this thread for a while. Yes, this is what I would have expected for an Audio 50 APS but at least the car documentation was indicating that it had "a real" GPS antenna at the rear roof.

Would always be better to check from the car. Relatively easy to follow the APS50 GPS cable and see if it ends to an antenna in the front or if it actually is wired to the rear. If it is wired to the back, there should be an extension connector at the trunk.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:33 PM

S500 W223 2021
Haven't been reading this thread for a while. Yes, this is what I would have expected for an Audio 50 APS but at least the car documentation was indicating that it had "a real" GPS antenna at the rear roof.

Would always be better to check from the car. Relatively easy to follow the APS50 GPS cable and see if it ends to an antenna in the front or if it actually is wired to the rear. If it is wired to the back, there should be an extension connector at the trunk.

Thanks DB for being pationet since severl topics arround here, but note that I give up to work on this any more, i have last try and will show you the pix soon on what am going to do , hope u will be arround by tomorrow if possible.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 e500
thanks steph 280

Your pictures really helped i was able to install the navigation system in my 2004 e500 with your help. It works great!
Old 04-08-2008, 04:20 PM

S500 W223 2021
Originally Posted by jaye500
Your pictures really helped i was able to install the navigation system in my 2004 e500 with your help. It works great!

Jaye500

May i know where the GPS cable from the navigation device you connected too??? my car is ready with that cable which looks short and ending with blue cable..
Old 04-19-2008, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Hey guys, I located the 2 wires under the right rear door sill but I can't find the wire that's connected with the red tip any where. Is this wire also orange and just like the 2 that aren't connected? I'm stumped, please help! Thanks...
Old 04-19-2008, 10:08 AM

S500 W223 2021
Originally Posted by jimmydagreek
Hey guys, I located the 2 wires under the right rear door sill but I can't find the wire that's connected with the red tip any where. Is this wire also orange and just like the 2 that aren't connected? I'm stumped, please help! Thanks...

those two wiers shold be connected, try to link it into the right one, and dont forget to change the wiers linking as stated in the first posts.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SUCCESS! I didn't have red tip or white tip or whatever wires, lol. I followed the MOST diagram and the wire numbers and just connected it and BAM! Thanks to everyone for all of the posts of instructions!
Old 04-19-2008, 04:22 PM

S500 W223 2021
SUCCESS! I didn't have red tip or white tip or whatever wires, lol. I followed the MOST diagram and the wire numbers and just connected it and BAM! Thanks to everyone for all of the posts of instructions!
Good News pease let me know dose the Navigation working well???

I need to share your experience in some steps..

Let me know

Regards
Old 04-19-2008, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good News pease let me know dose the Navigation working well???

I need to share your experience in some steps..

Let me know

Regards

Yeah, so far so good. I programmed my home address and used it today just for the heck of it. It's not as good as my Garmin Nuvi but it does the job just fine. Mine is out of an 06 and is in nice shape. Thanks...
Old 04-20-2008, 06:51 AM

S500 W223 2021
Yeah, so far so good. I programmed my home address and used it today just for the heck of it. It's not as good as my Garmin Nuvi but it does the job just fine. Mine is out of an 06 and is in nice shape. Thanks...
Very good news,

See I have problem in regarding the GPS coax where that comes from the GPS processor, where it should be connected ?

As I know, the Blue Farka coax should connected to the processor, but the other side coax I don’t know where is the right point to connect to? Could you please show in details (that will he highly appreciated) with photos support if possible?

Actually I connected mine, and I guess its not connected to the right point, therefore the GPS on Map not location my current position, its just locate around 90 Miles far from my current place, I assume this problem from the Antenna might not connected well.

Please Advise I need your help.

Regards
Old 04-20-2008, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Very good news,

See I have problem in regarding the GPS coax where that comes from the GPS processor, where it should be connected ?

As I know, the Blue Farka coax should connected to the processor, but the other side coax I don’t know where is the right point to connect to? Could you please show in details (that will he highly appreciated) with photos support if possible?

Actually I connected mine, and I guess its not connected to the right point, therefore the GPS on Map not location my current position, its just locate around 90 Miles far from my current place, I assume this problem from the Antenna might not connected well.

Please Advise I need your help.

Regards
I put everything back together but perhaps you can snap a pic or 2 of the cables and the area you are having trouble with and see if I recognize them and tell you what I did...
Old 04-21-2008, 10:37 AM

S500 W223 2021
I put everything back together but perhaps you can snap a pic or 2 of the cables and the area you are having trouble with and see if I recognize them and tell you what I did...
Good , am looking forward to hear from you.

BTW, i went to the workshop and said if your car no locating the current position, there will be a software (CD) that must install to locate your currrent position, and so far he dont have it, he will call me once he recived it, i will try this one too...
Old 04-21-2008, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good , am looking forward to hear from you.

BTW, i went to the workshop and said if your car no locating the current position, there will be a software (CD) that must install to locate your currrent position, and so far he dont have it, he will call me once he recived it, i will try this one too...
Wait, so you mean you don't have a navi CD in you navi drive in the trunk?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:10 PM

S500 W223 2021
Wait, so you mean you don't have a navi CD in you navi drive in the trunk?
Currently DVD navitaon desk in the drive, the workshop said, there will be a special CD to install to locate your current position as much in some cases the Navigation cannot locate your current location as the GPS antenna as conncted well.

In case i need to check about the way you conncet the GPS antenna to the processor.

Regards
Old 04-21-2008, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Currently DVD navitaon desk in the drive, the workshop said, there will be a special CD to install to locate your current position as much in some cases the Navigation cannot locate your current location as the GPS antenna as conncted well.

In case i need to check about the way you conncet the GPS antenna to the processor.

Regards
This does not sound right. There are service CDs for the navi processor and the Comand but these are mainly bug fixes. Sometimes this is needed to enable MAP DVD loading if too many map versions have been skipped. Now that there is a working DVD, a service CD should not help finding the location.

Simply if the GPS status screen says 0 satellites, the device is working on the gyros and speed signal and based on the last known position from GPS.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do you have a splitter installed to the antenna?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: OEM Navigation Retrofit w/ pics