Picture of lowered E500 with no sensor modifications

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Picture of lowered E500 with no sensor modifications

This is a picture of mbworld member kyee's E500, which was lowered via Star Diagnosis. We were able to get .75" drop in front and 1.25" drop in rear, which is quite a bit (and it could have gone further but this was enough for him). His car started out looking pretty high... I forgot to take a picture beforehand though. The car also started out uneven after spending 30 minutes "normalizing" it, being lower on the driver's side by about 1/4", and a bit too high in the rear. This was evened out during the lowering process.

The car sits on 18" rims, so keep that in mind. There were ABSOLUTELY NO HARDWARE MODIFICATIONS to this car. No bending sensor arms, no bending brackets, no replacing screws, no adding shims of any type. The car is completely warrantiable.

-s-

Last edited by scorchie; 03-10-2005 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Front needs to come down a little, or up on the rear. Nicely done tho. I need to drop my rear by .75, and theres no more room on my threads on the rear bracket for a bigger shim. need to cut holes now I guess.

Whats up with his exhaust?? looks like its hangin pretty low
Old 03-10-2005, 01:29 PM

none
Hey all needs is some FUZZY dice to complete the look!

Why not make it even instead of too low in the back? Car looks like crap the way it sits now.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:35 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Looks like the car's been to Home Depot and has a few too many bags of concrete in the trunk. But hey, if the owner's happy, I'm happy for him, and I promise not to snicker if I see the car.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:36 PM
lig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Tough crowd!
I agree with them though - I'd raise the rear ~.25 or so.

Nice job programming the drop instead of moving stuff around.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Just wondering how much the programming costs. I lowered mine via $0.08 washers and a Dremel tool (1st time user) and it costed me about $0.64 after I returned the Dremel.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:59 PM

none
Im with Samoan_Ridah.. I lowered my E via the washer method and it worked out great. Plust it didnt look retarded like the one above...

Of course Scorchie is gonna scream but its warrantied...

Doesnt matter either way you lower it... if your dealer is a **** then he wont cover suspension issues.

Nice thing about the washer method is YOU can return it to stock without the dealer knowing.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Originally Posted by Samoan_Ridah
Just wondering how much the programming costs. I lowered mine via $0.08 washers and a Dremel tool (1st time user) and it costed me about $0.64 after I returned the Dremel.
why did you return the dremel? was it defective?
Old 03-10-2005, 03:41 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
I was quoted 1-2 hours labour to have it done at the dealer. I agree with everyone here, it is not even.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
No, silly. Home Depot lets you buy, use and return the tool after the job is done because the tool is the wrong color. "No one gets hurt", and "Everyone does it" are 2 of the excuses people use to justify this theft like scam.

P.S. - Yes, I'm a retailer.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
No, silly. Home Depot lets you buy, use and return the tool after the job is done because the tool is the wrong color. "No one gets hurt", and "Everyone does it" are 2 of the excuses people use to justify this theft like scam.

P.S. - Yes, I'm a retailer.
i was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but yes, you are 100% right. i disagree with returning used items in the strongest of terms.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by Samoan_Ridah
Brian! I cannot believe that YOU, of all people, would return a tool even if it is not damaged. I mean, you are the vegetarian who goes to church on Sundays and makes the airbag light turn on with your Bible.

How can you sleep at night if you return an item that served its purpose and was not faulty?

I personally know people who do that kind of Sh#t and I am not one of them. I have a Dremel tool and I do use it every so often. I would think that it would be a good tool to have around. But that is just my opinion.

About the looks of the car, it looks loaded down and not sporty. Like it was mentioned before, the rear needs to come up or the front needs to go down some more.

Steve
Old 03-10-2005, 03:53 PM

none
Barry you are as bad as me....
Home Depot has gotten pretty strict.. used to be able to return stuff that was two years old!
Now all the haters dont flame me... I spent about $25k last year at Home Depot... and kept it all
Old 03-10-2005, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
The car height was set within guidelines set by Mercedes-Benz... so it's not done "by eye" or whatever anyone thinks is aesthetically pleasing. Of course, owners are able to do whatever they would like to their cars. It's just if you do have a dealership with sharp advisors or technicians, you may get your car blacklisted before you know it (check previous threads on people who lowered the car with slotting the rear suspension and got denied warranty coverage--it happens to more people than just ones that write in this forum, I've heard it from people at the dealership as well).

The floor of the car is level. If you measure a car that is sitting properly, the floor will be level, and the wheel arches in the rear will be lower than in the front.

But then again, it appears most people in this forum have cars that aren't level! (Search on "my car is sitting lower on one side" and check out the threads.)

And as was posted in this thread, everyone can do what they like to their cars. I don't feel half the stuff people do in this forum is something that I would want to do, but I feel no need to tell someone that if the person likes the result (example: star grill).

-s-
Old 03-10-2005, 05:13 PM

none
Originally Posted by scorchie
The car height was set within guidelines set by Mercedes-Benz... so it's not done "by eye" or whatever anyone thinks is aesthetically pleasing. Of course, owners are able to do whatever they would like to their cars. It's just if you do have a dealership with sharp advisors or technicians, you may get your car blacklisted before you know it (check previous threads on people who lowered the car with slotting the rear suspension and got denied warranty coverage--it happens to more people than just ones that write in this forum, I've heard it from people at the dealership as well).

The floor of the car is level. If you measure a car that is sitting properly, the floor will be level, and the wheel arches in the rear will be lower than in the front.

But then again, it appears most people in this forum have cars that aren't level! (Search on "my car is sitting lower on one side" and check out the threads.)

And as was posted in this thread, everyone can do what they like to their cars. I don't feel half the stuff people do in this forum is something that I would want to do, but I feel no need to tell someone that if the person likes the result (example: star grill).

-s-

As always Scorchie you are right... everyone else is wrong.

A grill is one thing..... but looking like the car has 30 bags of mulch in the trunk looks silly.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:19 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Originally Posted by scorchie
so it's not done "by eye" or whatever anyone thinks is aesthetically pleasing.
He did it (and paid for it I am sure) so that it would be "aesthetically pleasing". Which IMO, that is not.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:06 PM

2003 E500, 1998 Ferrari Spider
Looks like crapola. I had one vehicle that sat like that in my life. An old 4x4 truck. Just because it is level or in spec does not mean that it looks good. Case in point: Stock. It looks like ***** but hey, it is in factory spec. The bad part now is he needs to pay someone to raise or lower it again. Buy the brackets and you can do whatever you want in 10-15 minutes time. Up, down, to the Dealer, from the Dealer, who knows.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:36 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
It could stand to be raised a tad. However, when I tried to get the spacing the same between the rear and the front, it did appear that the car was riding higher in the back. I ended up lowering the rear a little lower than the front to even it out, as shown. Even now, however, the system adjusts and it appears to be higher in the back.
Attached Thumbnails Picture of lowered E500 with no sensor modifications-lowered.jpg  
Old 03-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E500 Sport
Anyone had their car lowered via Star Diagnosis in the Tri-State area? I asked my local dealer and they said no problem. But when I went to pick it up, they said it was as low as the MB specs would allow. My car looks ridiculous it sits so high. If that car is still within specs, then mine can definitely be lowered. My dealer is fine with the normal stuff, but ask them to do something above and beyond, and forget it. Anyway, if anyone in the area has done this, let me know where.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by lorinserbenz
Hey all needs is some FUZZY dice to complete the look!
low and slow......
Attached Thumbnails Picture of lowered E500 with no sensor modifications-captured-2004-06-20-00001.jpg  
Old 03-10-2005, 10:26 PM

'16 528i MSport
Yea I always wondered by people lower their rears more than their fronts...

When I had my RSX, I gave in for mods and they had done the same set up dropping it 1.75 in the rear and 1.25 in the front..it looked awkward and I told them to change it around...
Old 03-11-2005, 11:51 AM

That's my car that Scorchie worked on. I did notice that the rear looks lower than the front, but as always I defer to Scorchie's knowledge on MB cars. Ride quality has not changed one bit. For others that have lowered their car, have you kept it level front to back like mine, or gone for the even "look", meaning the back would be higher than the front?

Another great mod that Scorchie did a week before this mod was to secure the JL Audio sub box that I have in my trunk, so the damn thing doesn't slide around anymore during hard turns. Great work all around!
Old 03-11-2005, 11:57 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Originally Posted by kyee
That's my car that Scorchie worked on. I did notice that the rear looks lower than the front, but as always I defer to Scorchie's knowledge on MB cars. Ride quality has not changed one bit. For others that have lowered their car, have you kept it level front to back like mine, or gone for the even "look", meaning the back would be higher than the front?

Another great mod that Scorchie did a week before this mod was to secure the JL Audio sub box that I have in my trunk, so the damn thing doesn't slide around anymore during hard turns. Great work all around!
I am glad you are happy.. Your wheels look amazing.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
I have looked and looked at the picture and finally I saw what was bothering me. It is not so much the lower rear end but the clearance around the rear tire. It is not symetrical...the tire is cut off at the top by the fender well and that is what bothers me. However, if the owner likes the look then that is all that matters. And it looks like it is pretty easy to correct (or change) if he wants to.

Nice ride
Old 03-12-2005, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
One more time....

the ride height is not supposed to be "even". It is designed to be just a tad higher in the rear, for passengers and/or other loads. I'm not saying that you can't get it hooked up that way if you want, but the factory and most knowlegeable tuners will tell you it's supposed to be just a trace nose heavy. That being said, I agreee that the car in question here is too low in the rear..just my .02.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Picture of lowered E500 with no sensor modifications