E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Static from Audio on euro command

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
Static from Audio on euro command

Need help. For last week or so I am experiencing statics from euro command (I had the same problem with the original US command).

When this happens, I can no longer turn off the audio by simply shut off the command. I have to pull over, turn off the ignition and the static would go away. Pressing the On button only shuts off command screen and the audio still goes on.

In addition, the command would often be confused to which band the radio is on. I always left the radio in AM mode. However, the head unit is now defaulting everything to FM. Even if I use the command to change the band. I only have FM left. The problem can be resolved if i pull over and shut the car off and restart. However it would return later in the day.

In addition, I am experiencing problem with ignition and the key fob. My key right now has 1/5 chance of unlocking/locking my car and the range has been reduced down to about 3 feet (I have to stand right next to my car for it to pickup the signal- both keys). After unlocking the car, inserting the key into ignition, it won't budge. I have to press unlock button again and it will start. However, there are 3 to 4 times that the car would start and shut itself off almost immediately afterward, and the dash would like up X-mas trees.

I have noticed that this would occur when the DVD/TV is playing on the euro command. I can shut off the command and re-start the car and it would start and keep running.

So my question is that is this a command issue or my ignition is going kaput? I am going to drop off my car tomorrow at dealership. I need input so the dealer won't give me the modification crap.

Just three more weeks to go before the car is shipped off to my sister and these happens.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tesla
I seem to recall reading somewhere that there are instances which AGW overheats and causes weird problems with COMAND. Supposedly there is a newer AGW can dissipate heat better.

Do you still have your original COMAND? might want to stick it back in and let the warranty take care of it.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:06 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by steph280
I seem to recall reading somewhere that there are instances which AGW overheats and causes weird problems with COMAND. Supposedly there is a newer AGW can dissipate heat better.

Do you still have your original COMAND? might want to stick it back in and let the warranty take care of it.
AGW i already knew about. And both my W211 has AGW replaced previously. If AGW over heats, it should have shown up earlier as the euro command has been in there for a while now.

What worries me is that it seems that some how this is tied to the ignition and i thought there were not related. I can plug my E55 command into the E500 command tonight see if the problem with key fab issues and ignition issue is eliminated.

Just a lot of strange thing happening this week.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:58 PM

06 CLS500 + 99 ML320
Krispycreme,

I have euro comand and I do not have anything what you describing.

Thanks,
hlkc
Old 04-13-2005, 03:45 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
static noise is usually caused by the AGW...AM/FM is all in the AGW as well...

audio and ignition are not related any different then all other components are related to ignition (through CANBUS)

greetingz,
Old 04-13-2005, 04:12 AM

04 E55
Originally Posted by MBenzNL
static noise is usually caused by the AGW...AM/FM is all in the AGW as well...

audio and ignition are not related any different then all other components are related to ignition (through CANBUS)

greetingz,

thank you steve. So this means that my AGW is going kaput again. This will be my 2nd AGW replacement.

On top of that i guess my ignition/key fab is another issue then. I will find out in the morning when i drop off the car.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:47 AM

Does the static exists if you switch to the CD player? I do not have Nav in my 03 E500 but the I get static too in most FM stations. I switch to the CD and the static disappears. I believe my AGW was replaced a while ago, if its in the trunk.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:51 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by i8hotdogs
I believe my AGW was replaced a while ago, if its in the trunk.
2002 and 2003 AGWs are known for static problems...if the AGW has been replaced a long while ago - you can most probably get a software upgrade for it at the MB dealership...

greetingz,
Old 04-13-2005, 07:35 AM

Thanks for the information. Does the static problem for AGW effect the CD player at all?
Old 04-13-2005, 12:34 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by MBenzNL
2002 and 2003 AGWs are known for static problems...if the AGW has been replaced a long while ago - you can most probably get a software upgrade for it at the MB dealership...

greetingz,
Dear Steve,

my AGW was replaced i believe before the euro command install. does that mean I already have the latest software? or I simply needs a software upgrade?

The car is at dealer right now. AGW will be replaced again.

The key issue can't be duplicate this morning. So I guess i will have to wait until weather warms up again and see if the problem returns.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:46 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by krispykrme
my AGW was replaced i believe before the euro command install. does that mean I already have the latest software? or I simply needs a software upgrade?
...that is something only stardiagnose can tell...

greetingz,
Old 04-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by i8hotdogs
Does the static exists if you switch to the CD player? I do not have Nav in my 03 E500 but the I get static too in most FM stations. I switch to the CD and the static disappears. I believe my AGW was replaced a while ago, if its in the trunk.
Not sure if this applies to Krispykrme but it might be your solution. TSB P-B-82.62/361a DEC04 (all 211s) deals with crackling and static from speakers when radio is on addressing the ground connection from the AGW housing. If you need a copy, post or PM your email address.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:44 PM

04 E55
Update-

The AGW has been replaced again.

The ignition module and security module (???) also needs to be replaced.

I will get the car back later today.

Service has been great. But the cars really needs help. I got a call yesterday from MB asking how my service was.

My response was "the service is great, but the car's quality is really poor".
Old 04-14-2005, 03:17 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
haha - good thing he only asked about the SERVICE...

greetingz,
Old 09-27-2005, 09:58 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
C63S past: E90 M3 6M, w211 E55
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Not sure if this applies to Krispykrme but it might be your solution. TSB P-B-82.62/361a DEC04 (all 211s) deals with crackling and static from speakers when radio is on addressing the ground connection from the AGW housing. If you need a copy, post or PM your email address.
hey, i'm taking the car in for the 55k intercooler pump problem, and i would like to get this resolved too prior to my Euro comand install from Steve. Could you post the specifics regarding this service action? thanks!

sportute@comcast.net
Old 09-27-2005, 09:29 PM

CLS 350
Update-

The AGW has been replaced again.

The ignition module and security module (???) also needs to be replaced.

I will get the car back later today.

Service has been great. But the cars really needs help. I got a call yesterday from MB asking how my service was.

nice response !