E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Dealer filled up new CDI with Gas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 11:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Dr. Ferdinand, BELIEVE them when they say it is the fuel pump.

It IS the fuel pump.

Not a $16 Chevy 350 fuel pump from Autozone, but the COMMON RAIL 23,000 psi pump.

Like I said in an earlier post, the tolerances in that pump are very tight and it was likely smoked by gasoline.

This is a $4,000 repair if you had to pay for it.

Not to mention all the other parts that now need to be changed (someone posted about a service bulletin).

DO NOT ACCEPT THIS CAR!!!!

and everyone else, for God's sake be vigilant, especially in states such as Oregon where laws forbid you from pumping your own gas.

KB
Old 05-19-2005, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
Originally Posted by TPAbnz
Unless this is some new procedure, my car was filled with diesel (courtesy of MB) when I picked it up in November, '04.
...but, it was then drained by Harms, the shipper, prior to shipment to the USA. My dealer made a point of telling me they'd taken the car to the nearby Sunoco station and filled it with "Premium Diesel" when it got to them. I'd guess the car left the POE with little diesel fuel in the tank.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by saffrontiger
After your sister put the diesel in the scooter did it grumble and clatter like a Harley?

Grumble and clatter......Pleeeeeeze.

Doc.... Sorry to hear of the dealer screw-up.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by saffrontiger
After your sister put the diesel in the scooter did it grumble and clatter like a Harley?
The only things that grumble and clatters like a Harley is when you put tin cans into an empty dustbin

Regarding putting petrol into a diesel engine.

Diesel has a much, much higher ignition temperature when compared to petrol.

The compression of the engine ignites the diesel (NOT a spark) hence the very high compression ratio of the diesel engine. High compression = High temperatures to ignite the fuel.

Petrol has a very, very low 'ignition' temperature.

When the petrol is introduced into the extremely hot, highly compressed chamber of the diesel engine it will instantly ignite and no doubt ignite much quicker than the diesel!

Petrol is surely not as thick as diesel, plus it does not contain the oils of diesel fuel. This oil helps lubricate the fuel pumping systems on the CDI engine. To little oil, simply means to little lubrication.

My personal advice is ignore ANY discount. There mistake, there problem. On no account would I accept this vehicle.

You can put a lighted match into a cup of diesel fuel and the match will be extinguished. Try putting a lighted match NEAR a cup of petrol!!!

Putting diesel into a petrol engine is nowhere near as damaging, you will simply leave a trail of smoke, far worse than even a Harley Davidson egine could acheive! :p

Sorry to be so negative,
John
Old 05-20-2005, 11:48 AM

2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Idiot proofing, almost.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

This is a doo-dad that adheres to the filler lid and "speaks" an audible "DIESEL ONLY" warning.

Not a bad idea if you live in a state where you cannot pump your own gas or if others are ever in custody of your vehicle.

Still does not guard against the super-dense portion of the population that cannot understand the spoken word in English, or just those that don't speak English at all, even though Diesel is also spelled Diesel in Spanish, since it is a family name; [Rudolph] Diesel.

Last edited by cdiken; 05-20-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
So wait, If I went to Oregona on a road trip, I could not fill up my own gas???? What kind of BS is that? Those lawmakers really need to get their heads out of their asses if you ask me!
Old 05-20-2005, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Here in NJ, where we can't pump our own gas (and damn proud of it!), the diesel is 99.9% of time sold at a totally different pump, so it really is the responsibility of the driver to go to the right pump. Nevertheless, probably a good idea that it is as obvious as possible.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Originally Posted by alewifebp
Here in NJ, where we can't pump our own gas (and damn proud of it!), the diesel is 99.9% of time sold at a totally different pump, so it really is the responsibility of the driver to go to the right pump. Nevertheless, probably a good idea that it is as obvious as possible.
I drove to Atlantic City for a business meeting last month, and when I pulled up to one of the rest stop diesel pumps, the attendant ran behind shouting at me. I eventually understood him to say "THAT'S DIESEL!" I shouted back, "good, that's what I'm looking for."

When it came time to pay, he said "I've never heard one (a diesel) so quiet. I was certain that you were at the wrong pump."

The distinctions from the gasoline fleet seem only to be good ones...

P.S. So this afternoon, I pulled up at my regular diesel pump to find a shiny BMW X3 at the pump, with a pretty young lady removing the nozzle. I was surprised to see someone else there, and a little annoyed, as I'm used to having it to myself.

Always one to try to learn something about a new diesel car, I said: "Sorry miss, but I have to ask...Is that a diesel." She got a shocked look on her face, and looked again at the pump.

She thanked me profusely for sparing her from that tankful.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
How it can happen, diesel nozzle has a different size, so it's quite difficult to insert it.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dema
How it can happen, diesel nozzle has a different size, so it's quite difficult to insert it.
Sorry, not so. The CDI filler neck has a restrictor that will pass only a no-lead size pump nozzle. Fortunately, these are fairly common on diesel pumps.

For example, our corner Shell station has a diesel pump which has one truck-sized nozzle and one no-lead size nozzle.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Originally Posted by khaug
Sorry, not so. The CDI filler neck has a restrictor that will pass only a no-lead size pump nozzle. Fortunately, these are fairly common on diesel pumps.

For example, our corner Shell station has a diesel pump which has one truck-sized nozzle and one no-lead size nozzle.
It's the same at my closest Mobil. So what was the rationale for including that annoying restrictor? It means that truckstops aren't as likely to be useful, which is odd, considering that they have some of the best prices for fuel.

I've read much of the U.S. legislation about fuel stuff, and I can't recall anything that applied to diesels and pumps.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by pa28pilot
So what was the rationale for including that annoying restrictor? It means that truckstops aren't as likely to be useful, which is odd, considering that they have some of the best prices for fuel.
You got me! The only thing I can think of is that the fuel system may not be able to handle the delivery speed of a full truck-size nozzle. But that's just speculation.

I've been looking for a nozzle adapter which would slide onto a truck-size nozzle and convert it to a CDI-size nozzle, but haven't found one so far. Here's a money-making opportunity for some small plastics manufacturing firm, although I suppose such an adapter could interfere with the automatic shutoff feature of fuel pumps.

Last edited by khaug; 05-24-2005 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Watch out, I assume kerosene would fit too. I saw that once or twice working at a truck stop in high school. Believe it or not, it wasn't too big a deal with the diesels of the era. I have no idea what kerosene would do to the CDI.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:23 PM

If they put gas besides diesel, there is no way you should take this car for any discount. Its a brand-new car and it had its first problem, so you would be looking at problems down the road. And the car has devolped more wear and tear than a normal brand new car. Its totally the dealers fault u do not have to pay for their mistake down the road. Its much like a person who had his first smoke, so him getting lung cancer is most properly very likely than a person who hasn't smoked at all. Why should you accept their mistake If i were you i would:

1. NOT ACCEPT THE CAR UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. (Because this would be in the history of the car, and they woldn't be able to sell the car themselves, because the mistake by the dealership, most likely the car would be sent to a wholesaler. The car has already lost about 35% of its value.)

2. Tell them to order u a 2006 model with the exact same options as the other car with added factory options for free, and recieve a 10-20 percent discount on the new car, because of your hardship.

3. Tell them to give a loaner car, a mercedes-benz sedan ofcourse with a gas card, until car hasn't arrived.

Look, man its their fault, they should seriously do all that for you with no hesitation. If they don't, then send a signed complaint to Mercedes-Benz North America. Because of the fact this is totally untolerable.

I was just wondering. How do you know when u got petrol in a diesel engine?????? I mean the car does run, but do u find out????????

Last edited by Mercedes-Benz19; 11-05-2005 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:02 PM

All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
I'm Not A Lawyer....BUT!!!!

To the best of your memory, write down EVERYTHING you can remember about the incident, including who you talked to, what they said, and what day and time it was said.

You might need it in the future.

Do not, under any circumstances, accept the car. No more discussion.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
at a minimum, you need a 100k warantee.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:06 PM

SO WHATS THE VERDICT????????????? How will you deal with the dealer??????
Old 11-09-2005, 02:50 PM
rjm

Multiple
It happened to my son's business partner. Here is the link:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/124284-pay-attention-gas-pump.html