E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

FM antenna location? (03 E500)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 06:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500, Viper, and other less-fun stuff
FM antenna location? (03 E500)

Does anyone know where the FM antenna is located? I have an 03 E500 without COMAND. Basically this car is my beater, so I'm not about to burn $2K just to play MP3s. I was rather disappointed that the stereo doesn't have AUX, and not having MP3 playback is no fun at all -- we have it in all our other vehicles. Heck, I even have a hookup for my motorcycle intercom system.

I know FM transmitters aren't well-received around here (no pun intended) but many years ago I used a JVC transmitter for a JVC CD-changer it worked perfectly -- in fact, you couldn't tell it wasn't hardwired. Hoping to do the same thing in the Benz, I bought a transmitter at BestBuy the other day and unfortunately the results were disappointing. Lots of static. My "installation" at this point is simply plugging everything into a cig lighter and resting the mess on the passenger seat, but if I can find something that works I'll do a cleaner hardwired install, which leads me to my antenna question.

I suspect the FM antenna may be in the rear of the car because I get a lot of radio noise whenever I use the rear defroster. I can't imagine the defroster cranks out so much power that it interferes with an antenna several feet away (particularly considering how poorly the defroster works). If that's the case, I'll try relocating the transmitter back there, and if it improves enough to be usable, I'll permanently hook it up that way.

No, this isn't an iPod, and I know they have the same kind of thing available, but I personally think the iPod interface is crap. With apologies to anybody who has one and likes it. Just getting the inevitable questions out of the way up front. Also if anybody knows of a reliable, reasonably priced FM transmitter that might simply work better than my BestBuy $20 deal, please do post. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the thing I bought is simply underpowered.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:58 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500 Sport
I'm pretty sure the antenna is located in the rear window, which explains the interference from the defroster.

I am also pretty sure you can add an AUX jack in the glove box. There have been a couple posts discussing this, one with a good how-to complete with pics. Do a search, because I think that's the answer.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:06 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
I believe the top six (6) lines of the defroster grid are the FM antenna; however, more importantly, regarding the following:
Originally Posted by McGuireV10
I suspect the FM antenna may be in the rear of the car because I get a lot of radio noise whenever I use the rear defroster. I can't imagine the defroster cranks out so much power that it interferes with an antenna several feet away (particularly considering how poorly the defroster works). If that's the case, I'll try relocating the transmitter back there, and if it improves enough to be usable, I'll permanently hook it up that way.
If you're getting ANY kind of static/noise when using the defroster, take your w211 in for service - there's a fix for that (I think it was the audio gateway replacement?).

GL.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:15 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
This is what you want.. I work at ATS, so let me know if you want it, or buy ot from someone in The States.

http://www.ats-systems.com/store/det...D=ATS-H-MP5230

It has to be the Tunecast II so that you can set it on any FM station you want.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by Miguk_Saram

If you're getting ANY kind of static/noise when using the defroster, take your w211 in for service - there's a fix for that (I think it was the audio gateway replacement?).

GL.
Actually the fix is a rear window replacement.... I Have the same problem with mine but won't let them touch it....The antenna wire is broke somewhere within the rear glass.

Basically this car is my beater
Must be nice....
Old 05-20-2005, 09:18 AM

Thanks everyone.

hilmar2k -- I'm pretty sure you can't add AUX to non-COMAND systems but I'll double-check.

Miguk -- I had read about static and noise problems but I hadn't seen anything related to defrost usage. Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it.

ATS -- Do they make one which runs off 12V power?
Old 05-20-2005, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Actually the fix is a rear window replacement.... I Have the same problem with mine but won't let them touch it....The antenna wire is broke somewhere within the rear glass.
Ouch! (Eyeing my tint job suspiciously...)
Old 05-20-2005, 09:23 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
ATS -- Do they make one which runs off 12V power?
Yes, there is a Mobile Power Cord which is $29.95 which hooks up to that thing, also from Belkin and this plugs into your Ipod, so all items are powered from the car.