Chipped my windshield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E320
Chipped my windshield

I was on my way to Vegas over the weekend when a rock from a rig decided to kiss my windshield leaving a chip the size of a dime. I called MB of San Diego and they referred me to their windshield outsource, Elite Auto Glass. I got a quote of $459 including installation, which will take them an hour. I did a search on the subject and everyone says get the OEM brand, but from what I was told by Elite, they carry Pilkington who makes OEM glass, but without the MB star. Now my question is, what exactly is the OEM brand that everyone is referring to? Does MB actually make their own windows or do they just get a contract with manufacturers like PPG and have them etch the MB star onto it? I prefer to have the dealer install the windshield, but they're referring me to someone else that does their windshield replacement. Any suggestions?
Old 08-02-2005, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500 / 1993 MR2 Turbo
wow, sounds like a more like a crater than a chip. Have you tried contacting those mobile windshield services. I believe and depending on the size of the chip, they can fill it in and repair it, versus having to change the entire windshield. I have heard stories that once a windshield is replaced, its truly never the same, (seal leaks, wind noise, etc.). See if you can have it fixed first.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:56 PM
jhh
Almost a Member!

2005 E500
I went through four windshields on my W124 before selling it after 10 great years. (Bad luck – or maybe just par for the course on LA freeways?) The first time I got the factory glass. After that, I decided the aftermarket stuff from a known manufacturer (PPG) was fine. None of my replacement windshields leaked, rattled, squeaked or had any problems at all. Modern windshields are all "glued in" units, and removal and installation is pretty straightforward and hard to screw up.

I think the real issue is that the windshield is important safety equipment. It's convex out towards the front. When something hits it, it puts the windshield in compression and transfers the stress to the body shell. If the glass is compromised (chipped too badly, crack in the wrong spot, crack that hasn't been stress relieved) the compressive stresses of another impact can cause the glass to shatter and the object to come through when it otherwise wouldn't have. This is the same idea as trying to squeeze an egg in your hands -- if there's even the smallest crack or imperfection, the egg shell will collapse. The repair services are usually pretty good about telling you when they can't repair it. My recollection is that they won't fix anything that can't be covered by a nickel, dime or quarter (can't remember which), or that is in the driver's line of sight when looking straight forward. I think they are generally unwilling to repair those conical chips (i.e., the cracks where something hits the front and the crack propagates out to the other side in the shape of a cone), but I could be wrong.

Even if they are willing to repair it, $500 is chump change to fix such an important part.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:42 PM

Black/Black E : Pewter/Black G Wagen
STOP !!! I hope it's not to late....I had to replace mine due to my neighbors kid negligence,to make the story short.I went to my Local dealer to get a quote (quoted me for $499 + $199 labor) I was able to get their outside source. $ 275 including installation and they would go to your place of work or home( just not sure if they serve your area,I'm in southbay) and this is also an OEM. Company name is safeLight and you can contact them @ 800-800-2727. Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Damn State Farm changed my windshield on the E320 last year for 35 or 40 bucks and it was factory glass. I cant remember which company made it but it wasn't Pilkington. worked out great for me. See what your insurance company can do for you, and the great thing was that they didnt raise my premium or anything.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:10 PM

'05 E500 4-Matic Wagon
The OEM of my windshield is Saint-Gobain. This is a very large French producer of all kinds of glass products. They do business in the States, but I don't know if they sell MB glass to consumers. You'll need to do some research. Here's the English version of their corporate web site. http://www.saintgobain.com/en/html/index.asp
Good luck
Old 08-02-2005, 08:31 PM

I also have to vouch for SafeLite. Replaced the windshield on a 2000 E430 for $275 total. They did it the day after I called and drove 50 miles to do it! They could have done it the same day had I brought to their shop.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:41 AM
jhh
Almost a Member!

2005 E500
Originally Posted by chemsales
I also have to vouch for SafeLite.
Yup, I think that SafeLite did two of my four replacements. Other than the fact that all my windshields seemed to be rock magnets, they worked out great.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:41 AM

C32 AMG
I thought insurance covers 100% of windshield replacement?

Atleast in Florida it does.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
I ALWAYS INSIST ON BRANDED WINDSHIELD.. Otherwise these windshield companies just make out like bandits and sell you cheap glass for $200-$300.

Insist they use MB glass!
Old 08-03-2005, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by jlara

I emailed my agent, and it turns out that they do. You just pay for the deductible which is like 30 or 40 bucks.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
Originally Posted by jlara

Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury. Spoke to my insurance yesterday and they stated that I have to pay my deductible. Anything over that will be covered by the insurance.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:09 PM

Tesla
I've had two windsheilds replaced on my old MB and tried some different brand and installers. Biggest difference I noticed was wind noise. The replacement windshield were every bit as good as original, doesn't make my wiper noisier, but there are just more wind noise specially on hwy. I don't know if it's the glass itself or the installation, but this has been true for both instances.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E320
Originally Posted by steph280
I've had two windsheilds replaced on my old MB and tried some different brand and installers. Biggest difference I noticed was wind noise. The replacement windshield were every bit as good as original, doesn't make my wiper noisier, but there are just more wind noise specially on hwy. I don't know if it's the glass itself or the installation, but this has been true for both instances.

My friend had the windshield on her '05 Accord replaced by some mobile installer. We also noticed more wind noise at highway speeds with the new windshield. I honestly thought there was a leak in the installation, but the technician guaranteed that there wasn't. He even poured water around the seals to prove to us it was leak free.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:16 PM

Not that I would do this or anything, but check to see if you're insurance policy offers up the full glass insurance option. If it does, order it, add it to your policy, then mysteriously a couple of weeks later, have a claim on your newly, freshly dinged windshield.

Just an option...not too terribly ethical, but with all the monies I've paid into insurance over the years and not used up a dime, we need one for the good guys once in awhile.

Toby
Old 08-03-2005, 08:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
Get the original, French glass. Make sure you get the "Daimler" window sticker too.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by jhh
I went through four windshields on my W124 before selling it after 10 great years. (Bad luck – or maybe just par for the course on LA freeways?) The first time I got the factory glass. After that, I decided the aftermarket stuff from a known manufacturer (PPG) was fine. None of my replacement windshields leaked, rattled, squeaked or had any problems at all. Modern windshields are all "glued in" units, and removal and installation is pretty straightforward and hard to screw up.

I think the real issue is that the windshield is important safety equipment. It's convex out towards the front. When something hits it, it puts the windshield in compression and transfers the stress to the body shell. If the glass is compromised (chipped too badly, crack in the wrong spot, crack that hasn't been stress relieved) the compressive stresses of another impact can cause the glass to shatter and the object to come through when it otherwise wouldn't have. This is the same idea as trying to squeeze an egg in your hands -- if there's even the smallest crack or imperfection, the egg shell will collapse. The repair services are usually pretty good about telling you when they can't repair it. My recollection is that they won't fix anything that can't be covered by a nickel, dime or quarter (can't remember which), or that is in the driver's line of sight when looking straight forward. I think they are generally unwilling to repair those conical chips (i.e., the cracks where something hits the front and the crack propagates out to the other side in the shape of a cone), but I could be wrong.

Even if they are willing to repair it, $500 is chump change to fix such an important part.
I disagree with your comment that it is hard to screw up installation of a windshield. It is REAL EASY to screw up and it happens often. Do a search here. That is one thing I would not scimp on and never would have one of those mobile places replace my windshield.