E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Agonizing....Opinions please.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 CLK 55
Agonizing....Opinions please.

I currently have an order in for an SL55 with a "who the hell knows" projected delivery date. The only thing that keeps me vigilant is I will be getting it at sticker. Now, herein lies the dilemma; After seeing MIB last week, I found the new E class EXTREMELY attractive. I gave my MBZ sales manager buddy a call, and he definitely felt that I'd probably see a E55K in my garage before the SL. I know the "E" could /would probably outrun the SL; out handle? No idea, but I'm sure it would be close. I realize that the cars are very different, so I'm not making this an issue. I'd be happy with either one for what they are.
In closing, what would you guys do in this situation? Sit tight for the SL or take the E55K if it shows up first? I'm not interested in flipping the SL if I take delivery of the latter. It's one or the other.
Your input is appreciated!
Old 07-09-2002, 09:44 PM

I faced a similar decision earlier this spring.
My local dealer wouldn't even TAKE my order for an SL55, not to mention the issues regarding ambiguous delivery schedules.
I would not be interested in an SL500.
After much thought I took a number 2 slot for the 211E55, which probably won't be here until summer 2003.
Would I prefer an SL55? No question.
I don't need the extra space of an E.
But among the reasons I opted for the E, I do have a fear of vandalism, and I would have to practically hide the SL at work (as this car is my daily driver).
I've had 3 cars vandalized, 2 while less than a month old, and the SL will certainly be an attractive nuisance.
I actually value the more anonymous look of the E for this reason, but still get the pleasure of the AMG-tuned engine.

BTW Brian, expect the SL55 to outrun the E55 (by the slimmest of margins).
As you may know, MB pulled the SL55's out of early production to tweak the engine to raise hp above 500 (after the 211 E55 supposedly beat the 230 SL55 in track testing).
MB needs the SL55 to be faster than the E55 for obvious reasons.
The extra $$ SL owners will pay needs to translate into superior speed....at least on paper.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Brian:

For me the choice is clear: 2003 E55.

I like the design and roominess of the new E class a lot.

I sat in the new SL500. However, just like the old SL model, the new SL is too small for my 6'2" frame, - just not comfortable.

...and for the $40,000 savings, -- think GOLD!
Old 07-09-2002, 11:36 PM

'01 CLK 55
Though I agree with your comment regarding the SL's necessity to be marginally quicker, I can't help but think that an E55K owner is only a pulley replacement away from the SL's horsepower advantage. This should make for some lively discussion when both cars are out and about. I expect to hear a number of accounts of E's outrunning SL's due to it's lower weight and drag coefficient...Fun!!
Old 07-09-2002, 11:41 PM

'01 CLK 55
Karl, though height is not a problem for me at 5'8", I do agree wholeheartedly about the $40K savings; = think track car!!
Old 07-10-2002, 05:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
My understanding of the HP upgrade issue is that AMG determined that the motor was in fact putting out 500hp not the 476hp originally quoted. I have read psots from euro SL55 owners advising that their cars "papers" have been updated by MB to reflect the 500hp, but no work has in fact been done to these cars.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:40 AM

Brian,
It really depends on other cars you have, i.e. the role that SL/E is going to take on. Daily or special occasions/weekend car?
I think the cars will be pretty much the same in straight line acceleration, there will be a very little difference, if any. On track I'd expect E to be faster and better handling thanks to its' probably more rigid chassis and less weight (convertible vs saloon).
Do you already have a convertible? Are you actually buying SL for its' convertible qualities?
If the engine and its' power is the most important thing then E55 is a much better buy, especially considering that under the skin E class probably shares most of the mechanics with SL (?), like the previous one (R129 with W124) did.
Externally I think all 4 recent Mercedes designs are equally beautiful, great really, each in its' own way. Similar, but different at the same time - Sportcoupe, SL, E and CLK. C class is closer to S class generation-wise I think.
So if it's SL's body you are after then wait for it, if it's technical brilliance, then E55 will deliver as much of it as SL55.
Old 07-10-2002, 04:05 PM

CLK430
Thumbs up

It's really up to you, they are both great cars. However it all depends upon what you are looking for. They are completely 2 different cars, but if I were in your situation I would go for the SL.

Here is my .02 cents -

E55 is a great car w/ a new design that is very attractgive, however I do not like sedans because I don't like putting a lot of people in my car. With the SL55 only you and the passenger fit and you also get the best of both worlds, coupe and convertible.
I never put 4 in my CLK, three is the most, but usually its me and my girl. If patience is the problem here then I suggest you hold out and get the SL, I have seen it in person, and also seen the new E-class. I would go with the SL its what us New Yorker's would say "The big boy's toy!"

Old 07-11-2002, 12:49 AM

2000 E430 Desert Silver
Why not a Ferrari ?

If I had +100K then I would buy a Ferrari, may be the 360 Modena.
Old 07-11-2002, 01:52 PM

CLK430
Re: Why not a Ferrari ?

Originally posted by phungpho
If I had +100K then I would buy a Ferrari, may be the 360 Modena.

Or you can go that route, however, remeber a Ferrari cannot be driven every day, Thus the day that you do drive the Ferrari, you are THE MAN!
Old 07-14-2002, 06:20 PM

Nissan Sentra
Other than the fact that these two cars go fast, they have completely differing roles. I would figure out what it is you are going to do with the car and make a decision based on needs and wants. I feel bad that you actually consider that someone might vandalize your car as part of your decision making.

I do think the new SL is one of the best looking roadsters ever produced.