Automakers' "hush-hush" labs in Silicon Valley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 01:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,433 Likes on 3,150 Posts
'71 Pinto
DC "hush-hush" lab in Silicon Valley

Since everyone agrees that the weak point is electronics...

"The basic idea is to bring the Silicon Valley to Volkswagen," said Carlo Rummel, executive director of Volkswagen of America's Electronics Research Laboratory. That's why his lab is full of local hires, not German engineers shipped in on temporary assignments.

DaimlerChrysler also has an R&D lab in Silicone Valley (paragraph 5). Maybe some local members can start knocking on doors to allow for our wants and needs to be adequately addressed.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...cartech22.html

And yes Jack from Nevada, this article dates back to 8/22/05.

Last edited by konigstiger; 08-29-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by konigstiger

"The basic idea is to bring the Silicon Valley to Volkswagen," said Carlo Rummel, executive director of Volkswagen of America's Electronics Research Laboratory. That's why his lab is full of local hires, not German engineers shipped in on temporary assignments.

DaimlerChrysler also has an R&D lab in Silicone Valley (paragraph 5). Maybe some local members can start knocking on doors to allow for our wants and needs to be adequately addressed.

I really wasn't being critical of you when I said the article was "dated." I was just trying to update the information to show that the situation had changed from the date of that article. However, you have to admit the article is a week old...:-)
Old 08-29-2005, 05:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I really wasn't being critical of you when I said the article was "dated." I was just trying to update the information to show that the situation had changed from the date of that article. However, you have to admit the article is a week old...:-)
No harm, it was my error - I forgot to add a smilie or two. It was meant to be humorous.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Great.
A car that'll crash... electronically.
As if we don't have that already...
Old 08-29-2005, 06:32 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
(From the Seattle TImes article)

"They're working with local companies like Palm to connect smart-phones to the car via Bluetooth to allow drivers to make calls using verbal commands or the car's buttons."

Imagine that. Do you suppose that the Mercedes lab in Silicon Valley is researching the use of buttons on the steering wheel to select preset radio stations? Maybe they mean that automakers are doing research to make Bluetooth phones actually pair with their cars, as opposed to supposedly pair with their cars? Now, that would be a breakthrough.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DWP
(From the Seattle TImes article)

"They're working with local companies like Palm to connect smart-phones to the car via Bluetooth to allow drivers to make calls using verbal commands or the car's buttons."

Imagine that. Do you suppose that the Mercedes lab in Silicon Valley is researching the use of buttons on the steering wheel to select preset radio stations? Maybe they mean that automakers are doing research to make Bluetooth phones actually pair with their cars, as opposed to supposedly pair with their cars? Now, that would be a breakthrough.
Okay see, now you're thinking in like 50 years from now. That stuff is what Sci-Fi is...

I think first they are going to develop this thing called 'brakes that work'.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by DWP
Do you suppose that the Mercedes lab in Silicon Valley is researching the use of buttons on the steering wheel to select preset radio stations?
Exactly! If we can recruit members in that area to research the DC location to find out if MBUSA is actually participating (not just Chrysler) we might have another avenue or inroad to get our issues addressed.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500
Silicon Valley

Originally Posted by konigstiger

Maybe before trying next generation technology, DM should start in Japan to figure out 1990's tech on how to program the steering wheel controls for changing radio presets.