E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S600, E500
Brake Problem

Recently, I bought W211 E500 03, I love it so much. After I drive a while I notice that my brake random time vibrate about 10 seconds while I drive (so annoy). I would like to ask is that normal or my car get a problem n i have to fix immidiately?.
and I also notice that when the car is stop and I put on brake a little bit, it make sound (terrible sound) ... ;(

is other MB car like this or my car get problems?.
thz in advance...
Old 09-13-2005, 11:23 AM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
It's normal. SBC brake pump. There is an update that reduces the noise a bit so you might want to ask your dealer if it has been performed.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by Hitzero
Recently, I bought W211 E500 03, I love it so much. After I drive a while I notice that my brake random time vibrate about 10 seconds while I drive (so annoy). I would like to ask is that normal or my car get a problem n i have to fix immidiately?.
and I also notice that when the car is stop and I put on brake a little bit, it make sound (terrible sound) ... ;(

thz in advance...
Make sure these https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/116411-august-05-recalls.html are done. Also have the pulsation dampener fix installed on the SBC brake system and make sure the original SBC safety recall was performed. While your at it, simply ask that that all outstanding recall and other service compaigns are installed.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:24 AM

S600, E500
It seem quite serious..
anyway, I don know what happen the preview owner had told me that he had return the car to MB recalled n had been fixed.
Now I have to talk to the SA,
I think i am a bit lucky though, my car is still under new car warranty... otherwise I think i have to pay hips of $$$$...
thx guy, very appreciated...
Old 09-29-2005, 06:54 AM

S600, E500
I checked with MB already, they said it normal.
now i have to live with it, it so annoy.
thank guy.. ;o
Old 09-29-2005, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
thank guy.. ;o
The sound of the pump running is normal but it should be so minor that it doesn't bother you. Make sure you have had ALL service programs (Technical Service Bulletins) installed that are related to the SBC braking system. Your dealer cannot tell you if your car is up to date w/o you taking it in.

Don't accept the idea that it's normal. Early W211's had a lot of problems that could be fixed.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:51 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X

thz in advance...
I have had mine, sames as yours, for almost 3 years, but I have not experienced any of the issues you stated. It is definitely not normal!
Old 09-30-2005, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
thank guy.. ;o
My car was built in March of 2004 and when I picked it up they said that the noise was from the 4-Matiic system. Well, that was not a good enough answer for my taste so I went to a technician and he immediately told me that there was a service bulletin that would fix this problem. This was only done if the customer complained about it!

So, the tech installed a “pulsation damper” (not a “dampener” which would make things wet :-)) He also said that part of the service bulletin was to change the hydraulic lines around the SBC module but that was not really needed.

Once I picked it up all was quiet and I only hear the noise if I have the car in the garage and I have the windows open. Otherwise you really have to listen hard to hear it.

Here is my issue: You don’t need to “put up with this noise” go back to the dealer and tell them to do this service bulleting and make you happy.

I hope that dealers in your country do this free of charge like they do here. I sure would think they would.

Steve
Old 09-30-2005, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by SAguirre
So, the tech installed a “pulsation damper” (not a “dampener” which would make things wet :-)) He also said that part of the service bulletin was to change the hydraulic lines around the SBC module but that was not really needed.

Steve
They changed the lines on mine and did a beautiful job. One advantage with that is that you get a free brake fluid change.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,431 Likes on 3,150 Posts
'71 Pinto
Steve, this fix is so old it has hair on it. But thanks for reminding everyone.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:12 AM

S600, E500
you guy joking, is that mean they lying to me? :o
I went to MB dealer and one of the Technical Guy drove my car,
he said that sound n vibration is normal, it come from SBC box (near the engine). When you brake about 3 times the SBC box release some presure or something like that. and my SBC box has been updated.
he also said that all W211 have this issue.
when I brake about 3 times it always vibrate. so i though it normal.

I think i should go to other dealer n check whether they can fix it or not.
but before i go, can someone comfirm that problem can be fix? can you try the 3 times brake thingy..
i dont' want to go there n embarass myself again.. ;0
Old 10-01-2005, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
you guy joking, is that mean they lying to me? :o
I went to MB dealer and one of the Technical Guy drove my car,
he said that sound n vibration is normal, it come from SBC box (near the engine). When you brake about 3 times the SBC box release some presure or something like that. and my SBC box has been updated.
he also said that all W211 have this issue.
when I brake about 3 times it always vibrate. so i though it normal.

I think i should go to other dealer n check whether they can fix it or not.
but before i go, can someone comfirm that problem can be fix? can you try the 3 times brake thingy..
i dont' want to go there n embarass myself again.. ;0
Yes, it's normal for the SBC brake pump to run to recharge the system but the sound should not be very loud. As pointed out above, there is a TSB to fix this problem. Here is the Info thanks to poster Konigstiger. The first one is the one you should insist they install.

There are two bulletins concerning SBC noise:

P-B-42.46-27c DEC03
Buzzing Noise during Pressure Buildup from SBC system

P-42.46-32A JAN04
Whistling Noise When Depressing Brake Pedal
Old 10-02-2005, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Steve, this fix is so old it has hair on it. But thanks for reminding everyone.
I think that we all know that the fix is old, I even posted the scanned copies of the bulletin on a thread about 9 months ago.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/90497-sbc-finally-feel-normal-after-bleed.html

But, you know. . . I hate to hear when someone is being told that is totally normal, which it kind of is, but then the dealer will not fix the noise issue.

Why is it that all the hair is falling off my head and now growing on my back????

Steve