E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Any way to do the brakes myself?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E320 Sport
Any way to do the brakes myself?

I have the '03 W211 (E320) Sport with brake-by-wire. This thing eats brakes. I'm on my 4th brake service, and the dealer has assured me they must be done by the dealer. Anyone know a way around this? I like doing my own service when possible.

RZ Rob
Old 09-15-2005, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by rzrob
I have the '03 W211 (E320) Sport with brake-by-wire. This thing eats brakes. I'm on my 4th brake service, and the dealer has assured me they must be done by the dealer. Anyone know a way around this? I like doing my own service when possible.

RZ Rob
Yes, you can do it. Just make sure you unplug the SBC controller. Here's a link about it. There may be others.
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...hanging+brakes
Old 09-15-2005, 10:54 AM

'03 E320 Sport
You're the man!!

Can't wait to investigate the link. Thanks for the fast reply. Now I just need to wait for the next service as I just got done getting mine out of hock again.

Rob
Old 09-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Almost a Member!

2004 E320; 2001 Jaguar VDP
First, thanks for the link to illustrate process, however, I can not see all the pix. The first 6 or so do not display and I am particularily interested in seeing the pic for disconnecting the brake-by-wire. I have no idea where it is under the hood and what it looks like. Can any one help with identifying the SBC to disconnect it? thanks!
Old 09-15-2005, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by DalBenz
First, thanks for the link to illustrate process, however, I can not see all the pix. The first 6 or so do not display and I am particularily interested in seeing the pic for disconnecting the brake-by-wire. I have no idea where it is under the hood and what it looks like. Can any one help with identifying the SBC to disconnect it? thanks!
Open the hood. As you are looking at the engine, you will find a retangular silver device on the left near the front of the engine compartment. It will have several lines coming out of the top of it and it will have a black pump attached to the back and below that you will find another thing that is usually black and yellow. On the left side of this device (SBC Controller) you will see where the cable plugs into it. This is what you must remove to work on the brakes. It will disable the SBC Controller.

Go here http://www.whnet.com/4x4/sbc.html and look at the first image. You will see the SBC Controller in the upper left side of the picture.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E320; 2001 Jaguar VDP
Originally Posted by BudC
Open the hood. As you are looking at the engine, you will find a retangular silver device on the left near the front of the engine compartment. It will have several lines coming out of the top of it and it will have a black pump attached to the back and below that you will find another thing that is usually black and yellow. On the left side of this device (SBC Controller) you will see where the cable plugs into it. This is what you must remove to work on the brakes. It will disable the SBC Controller.

Go here http://www.whnet.com/4x4/sbc.html and look at the first image. You will see the SBC Controller in the upper left side of the picture.
BudC:
Thank you! appreciate the reply and attachment!
Old 09-15-2005, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
You CAN replace the Brake Pads/Rotors WITHOUT any Problems if You Jack up the car...remove the wheels..then LOCK the car and put the keyremote some place safe so no one will unlock the car..When the car is unlocked/open a door the SPC pump cycles..and You Do NOT want the Spc pump to cycle when your fingers are in the caliper...Several MB Techs do Brakes this way they dont like to wait for the MB star to bypass the sbc to do pads when brake pads only pay 0.8 labor (eight tenths of a hour)

Last edited by MARK CUMMINS; 09-15-2005 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by MARK CUMMINS
You CAN replace the Brake Pads/Rotors WITHOUT any Problems if You Jack up the car...remove the wheels..then LOCK the car and put the keyremote some place safe so no one will unlock the car..When the car is unlocked/open a door the SPC pump cycles..and You Do NOT want the Spc pump to cycle when your fingers are in the caliper...Several MB Techs do Brakes this way they dont like to wait for the MB star to bypass the sbc to do pads when brake pads only pay 0.8 labor (eight tenths of a hour)
Why not simply be safe and unplug the SBC controller. I don't think dealers depressurize the system anymore, they just unplug the controller.