E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

New Mercedes boss sets his sights on US

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 01:16 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 E350, appearance/entertainment/ sunroof/DVD NAV/brilliant silver (C744)/Ash leather

By James Mackintosh in Frankfurt
Published: September 12 2005 22:22

"The new head of Mercedes-Benz pledged on Monday to push the German luxury carmaker to the top of the US quality league table, reversing his predecessor's priorities just 12 days after taking on the job.

Dieter Zetsche, who will assume the top post at parent company DaimlerChrysler in January, said he had set an objective of reaching number one in the widely-watched JD Power survey of customer satisfaction, and that cars had to be designed to appeal to American tastes."

as listed on the www.ft.com news
Old 09-16-2005, 03:30 AM

CLS 350
designed to american taste?would they lose their German tradition and style?
Old 09-16-2005, 04:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
After reading the many articles that followed the initial announcement of Dr. Zetsche’s taking control of MB outlining his intent I have come to the conclusion that he may very well be the best thing that has happened to our beloved MB brand in a long time

Last edited by konigstiger; 03-09-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by konigstiger
After reading the many articles that followed the initial announcement of Dr. Zetsche’s taking control of MB outlining his intent I have come to the conclusion that he may very well be the best thing that has happened to our beloved MB brand in a long time
Agreed! The 3 Pointed Star will shine brightly under his direction.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:08 AM
rjm

Multiple
That is GREAT news....exactly what Mercedes needs to once again ascend to the pinnacle of producing the best quality cars available. I sure hope it doesn't take too long!
Old 09-16-2005, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Charmin's Mr Whipple....Orville Redenbacher....or Old Time Baseball Player....which do you think he going for on that look?

Old 09-16-2005, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
I still don't like this whole "American tastes" ... so what? does this mean a 300C or Caddilac CTS looking MB? I want my Benz to look German... give it big gulp sized cup holders fine! but don't do like Volvo and start designing cars in the US.. Just look at what that did to BMW!
Old 09-16-2005, 10:41 AM

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
2023 GLC 300 4MATIC
He knows MB has the most striking designs and best looking cars on the planet. It's the quality that he is wanting to take on. AMEN!!
Old 09-16-2005, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Dudes! The W 211 was designed for American Tastes. The 210 was the last MB to be designed for European tastes.

It just means that we will get a very stylish car, with that "made out of a solid block of steel" feel, with all the 21st Century Gee Whiz electronics, and that they will work 1st time, & every time.

MB will be a leader in all aspects of 21st Century Automobile design/manufacturing. We won't be talking about "past glories", and "decontenting" for reasons of items not working properly. It is preposterous to think for one minute that the typical American buyer of an MB is incapable of fully understanding how it works, and therefore items must be deleted in US cars.

MBUSA will not get away with stripping away "gee-whiz" in an effort to return the cars to the lower "gee-Whiz" content levels and durability of past, plain, large steering wheel models.

I say its about time MB realized they have a problem, and brought in the right people to simply fix them. They don't have to be publicly humbled and humiliated... just internally admit they have a problem, then fix the damn problems. To ignore them, or sweep them under the rug is not working, and is repeatedly hurting the brand. One can only coast for so long...

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 09-16-2005 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:43 AM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
I hope he succeeds. I'm starting to really like the SLK55.

Maybe in a couple of years...
Old 09-16-2005, 11:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by CE750
I still don't like this whole "American tastes" ... so what? does this mean a 300C or Caddilac CTS looking MB?
Design not only encompasses the vehicle’s looks but also it’s content. On a positive note this new way of thinking may mean marrying European features to the American market (i.e.: your folding mirrors). After all, the American market has been complaining for years about being slighted.

Also let’s not forget the windshield wiper fiasco. The wipers were originally designed for the European market specifically the high speeds of the autobahn. However, here in states we do not normally drive that fast and the wipers skipped causing constant noise until MB redesigned the arms to compensate.

My point, not only do we finally have someone who is willing to listen but who also has zero tolerance for error in effect wanting the problem(s) solved before they reach the customer.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by konigstiger
Design not only encompasses the vehicle’s looks but also it’s content. On a positive note this new way of thinking may mean marrying European features to the American market (i.e.: your folding mirrors). After all, the American market has been complaining for years about being slighted.

Also let’s not forget the windshield wiper fiasco. The wipers were originally designed for the European market specifically the high speeds of the autobahn. However, here in states we do not normally drive that fast and the wipers skipped causing constant noise until MB redesigned the arms to compensate.

My point, not only do we finally have someone who is willing to listen but who also has zero tolerance for error in effect wanting the problem(s) solved before they reach the customer.
See the Folding Mirror option on the R Class and the new wiper design also.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm game.. let's see what come of this "shake up"
Old 09-16-2005, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is the description of the wiper system on the R Class:

Aero-wipers improve visibility for the driver

The windscreen wipers of the new R-Class were also developed in the wind tunnel: they are known as aero-wipers. Instead of the articulated retention system used for conventional wiper blades, in which the rubber blades are claw-mounted, the aero wiper consists of a one-piece rubber section with an integral spoiler and externally mounted spring rails; these precisely follow the curve of the windscreen. The spring rails ensure an even distribution of wiper pressure along the entire length of the wiper blade, so that it always operates with the greatest possible contact pressure. The result is significantly better wiping quality, even in heavy snow. Dispensing with the conventional claw-mounted system, which is prone to icing in winter conditions, reduces the overall height of the wiper blade by almost half. This produces a noticeable reduction in windscreen wiper noise.

The new R-Class is equipped with an efficient two-arm wiper system with special kinematics: while the driver’s-side wiper arm moves around a fixed axis, its counterpart on the passenger side executes an additional lifting movement to wipe an even larger area of the windscreen. This provides the driver with optimal visibility. A rain sensor is standard equipment in the R-Class. The three twin-jet windscreen washer nozzles on the bonnet are electrically heated.

Here is the folding mirror:

Old 09-16-2005, 01:18 PM
rjm

Multiple
I still don't like this whole "American tastes" ... so what? does this mean a 300C or Caddilac CTS looking MB? I want my Benz to look German... give it big gulp sized cup holders fine! but don't do like Volvo and start designing cars in the US.. Just look at what that did to BMW!
I read on the CNN Business web site this morning that the Chrysler 300C will be made in China beginning next year. Is this a fore-shadow of things to come with Mercedes-Benz? I sure hope not.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB is building a factory in China and these cars are for internal Chinese consumption, not export.

"DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group plans to start building its popular Chrysler 300 sedan in China late next year as part of an effort to boost the Auburn Hills automaker's tiny presence in China.
Chrysler will build the cars with DaimlerChrysler's joint-venture partner in Beijing, alongside Jeeps and Mercedes-Benz sedans in a new factory being constructed on the outskirts of the Chinese capital.
The plan to build cars in China -- unveiled today -- follows a project announced Thursday to build Chrysler minivans in southern China."
Old 09-16-2005, 01:30 PM
rjm

Multiple
How about this quote from the Washington Post:

"The German-American company has laid out ambitious investment plans over the next five years that include making Mercedes cars and commercial trucks in China. It has also just won approval to offer financing."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...091600249.html

Or this article, from the Asia Times:

"Mercedes sedans to be built in Beijing

BEIJING - US-German auto giant DaimlerChrysler has said it will begin assembling Mercedes-Benz sedans at its joint venture with Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Corp by the end of this year.

The first Mercedes-Benz E-Class sedans will roll off the production line in Beijing by year's end, said Trevor Hale, spokesman for DaimlerChrysler (China) Investment Co Ltd, in a statement to China Daily. His remarks cleared up recent doubts about the timetable for local production of Mercedes-Benz sedans created by later-than-expected approval from the government."

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/GF21Ad04.html

Last edited by rjm; 09-16-2005 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rjm
How about this quote from the Washington Post:

"The German-American company has laid out ambitious investment plans over the next five years that include making Mercedes cars and commercial trucks in China. It has also just won approval to offer financing."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...091600249.html

Or this article, from the Asia Times:

"Mercedes sedans to be built in Beijing

BEIJING - US-German auto giant DaimlerChrysler has said it will begin assembling Mercedes-Benz sedans at its joint venture with Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Corp by the end of this year.

The first Mercedes-Benz E-Class sedans will roll off the production line in Beijing by year's end, said Trevor Hale, spokesman for DaimlerChrysler (China) Investment Co Ltd, in a statement to China Daily. His remarks cleared up recent doubts about the timetable for local production of Mercedes-Benz sedans created by later-than-expected approval from the government."

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/GF21Ad04.html
Any automobile maker with any sense had better be investing in the Chinese auto market or he will find himself behind the leaders. China is the most active auto market in the world and it only makes sense to invest and build product there.

Besides, if we can build a car of the new R and ML quality (and soon to be G) in Vance, AL, what is the problem with the product coming from China or South Africa or anywhere else in the distant future. As long as the design is and remains MB (or Chrysler) then the product will be a winner.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Any automobile maker with any sense had better be investing in the Chinese auto market or he will find himself behind the leaders. China is the most active auto market in the world and it only makes sense to invest and build product there.

Besides, if we can build a car of the new R and ML quality (and soon to be G) in Vance, AL, what is the problem with the product coming from China or South Africa or anywhere else in the distant future. As long as the design is and remains MB (or Chrysler) then the product will be a winner.

So long as they sell the crap they build there to the people there, and not to me! Especially at those prices!

I also Just read in Time from Aug15th that some analysts are asking DCX to allow more platform sharing between Chrysler and Mercedes.. IF THAT HAPPENS, I can tell you that my W211 will be the last MB I ever own.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:03 PM
lig

Why would an M-B built in China be any worse than one built in Alabama?
Old 09-16-2005, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So long as they sell the crap they build there to the people there, and not to me! Especially at those prices!

I also Just read in Time from Aug15th that some analysts are asking DCX to allow more platform sharing between Chrysler and Mercedes.. IF THAT HAPPENS, I can tell you that my W211 will be the last MB I ever own.
I agree with you on the platform/parts sharing. I think you will see parts sharing and not even know it but platforms are another story. It may work MB to Chrysler but not the other way around.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lig
Why would an M-B built in China be any worse than one built in Alabama?

If I have to explain that to you, I doubt you'll and I will ever see eye to eye on it. Let's just let sleeping dogs lay.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My point exactly. The Germans didn't do to good a job on the 2003 E and some other models as well through the years.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I agree with you on the platform/parts sharing. I think you will see parts sharing and not even know it but platforms are another story. It may work MB to Chrysler but not the other way around.

I agree, I can do fine with parts, electrical, etc.. being shared in some form or another.. but this guy called for Engine blocks, Chassis, and even Sheet metal to be shared.. see the Time Aug 15th article, I almost got sick reading that part (which is toward the end of the article)
Old 09-16-2005, 04:46 PM
lig

If I have to explain that to you, I doubt you'll and I will ever see eye to eye on it. Let's just let sleeping dogs lay.

my final thought then... remember how bad the early ML's were? I have to admit that I do have a certain set of prejudices as well. I won't buy a Japanese car built in the U.S.

There was a time when "Made In Japan" was a bad thing. It couldn't be further from the that nowadays.

Chinese manufacturing has come a long way as well. If they can build quality laptops and ipods why not cars? I recently saw a suit that was pretty darned inexpensive ($550) that was made in China that had some very nice touches.

Hand-picked stitching on the lapels. Real working button holes on the sleeves. Very drapey construction - hand sewn lapels that didn't use a lot of stiff interfacing.

Nice stuff - and the style was cool as well - a single breasted peaked lapel design. Would easily be $1,000+ if it were made in Italy or the U.S.

This might make you chuckle - nearly all of my guns are German. I'm an HK *****.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Mercedes boss sets his sights on US