E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Consistent Problem - Mercedes Can't Seem to Fix It - Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consistent Problem - Mercedes Can't Seem to Fix It - Help!

When I turn my car hard to the right there is a moaning sound coming from the steering column that you can slightly feel in the steering wheel. It happens very consitently.

I brought it into the dealership several times and they tried to correct it (replaced the steering box) but it has not been corrected. The last attempt was just to muffle the sound which didn't even work.

It is not a huge deal to me except that I know when I go to sell the car, this problem can and probably will impact resale value. Plus I don't know if there is a larger problem.

Worst of all, the clock is ticking. I have 49,000 miles on my car so the warranty is about to expire. Any advice?
Old 10-23-2005, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Since the dealer has tried to fix it, then it seems they agree with you and indeed there is something going on with your car.... You need to let them know about your warranty getting close to ending and to get the job done right or you will need to take it to another dealer that has the talent to get it done right.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
I don't mean to laugh, but I can just picture the techs. "Gee, we can't find the problem, so let's just muffle the sound"! Priceless. Seriously though, HOH hit the nail on the head. Remind them of your warranty issues and find another dealer if they can't fix it. Something is wrong. It's not going to make noise when you turn hard right just for the hell of it.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by luxury1
When I turn my car hard to the right there is a moaning sound coming from the steering column that you can slightly feel in the steering wheel. It happens very consitently.

I brought it into the dealership several times and they tried to correct it (replaced the steering box) but it has not been corrected. The last attempt was just to muffle the sound which didn't even work.

It is not a huge deal to me except that I know when I go to sell the car, this problem can and probably will impact resale value. Plus I don't know if there is a larger problem.

Worst of all, the clock is ticking. I have 49,000 miles on my car so the warranty is about to expire. Any advice?

I would think (hope) that with you bringing it to their attention, and documenting that they attempted to fix it.. should it develop into something worse after the 50,000.. the dealer will fix it under warranty. I had a similar situation on my Volvo V70 a few years back and they repaired they replaced the problem part, even after my warranty expired because I brought it to their attention before it expired.

There are warranty laws in some states that say that an item must be covered if it was discovered while under warranty. Look into it.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:21 PM

MY12 W212 E350
Lux,

I had similar problem. When I took it into dealership they replaced Front Struts on both sides. Looking at my service sheet it also says:

Remove and replace both front shock absorber support bearings as per DTB # P-B-32.25/14

It's definitely better than before, since I had that done I've had it occur once since. Although, lately I have not been able to reproduce it.

Hope that helps.

-alf
Old 10-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by luxury1
I brought it into the dealership several times and they tried to correct it (replaced the steering box) but it has not been corrected. The last attempt was just to muffle the sound which didn't even work. Any advice?
The problem has been documented through several repairs so there shouldn’t be a problem in having it looked at again for free. If the warranty expires you are still entitled to a freebie by way of Goodwill Warranty or Adjustment in an effort to correct a chronic problem. Request that they remove and replace both front shock absorber support bearings since this solved the problem for alfcruiser.

Knowing a TSB exists is often the key to cashing in on that goodwill. However, in this case DTB P-B-32.25/19 DEC04 (alfcruiser posted P-B-32.25/14 I’m assuming this was a typo) is only a replacement procedure (guidelines) of shock absorbers & suspension struts and not a service bulletin calling for specific repair.

Good luck.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:40 PM

2004 E320, 2006 Infiniti G35X, Yamaha VMAX 700 (Snowmobile)
Sounds like a similiar problem to what I am having, I just haven't had the time to take the car into the shop.. My problem however is not constant, it seems to happen while I pull out and cut the wheels to the right. I thought it might be the brakes. Seems to happen more so as I swing in and out of the garage. I know the sound is coming from the front drivers side but that is all I know.

I have the snows being put on at the end of the month and will have them take a look at it. Unlikely they will find anything since it is not consistent.

2004 E320 Loaded
Old 10-24-2005, 12:00 PM
liz

had the same issue. here is what they did to fix it. I have no idea what all this means, I am just copying down all relevent info for you.

"steering shaft making noise inside boot.
removed lower dash panel removed steering shaft, repl boot, reinstalled shaft and lower dash panel."

1 mo later ;

hydraulic/squeeking noises from p/s sys with slowly turninjg st wheel. noisy radial shaft sealing ring for control head removed and replaced ps rack and pinion. repl radial seal in control head.
#463400 removed and replaced p/s gear box
023834 replaced radial shaft sealing ring for control head
463240 adjust power steering pressure element
406560 perform wheel alignment
d/c 46483367 (no idea what this was).

r&r steering column. repl steering column shaft boot.
467704 steering column with shaft-r&r replace boot
d/c 46209367.

tech noted hissing from power steering.
023569 repl ps high pressure hose with modified version.

hope this helps. it did get rid of the moaning noise the car was experiencing. the sa was well aware of this issue when i brought it up. it seems, this is a very common issue with the 210's (according to the sa).lol.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:10 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Most likely power steering unit

The problem you encountered was a common one in the old days among Detroit cars. There wasn't anything serious wrong in those days, just a poor design of the power steering unit. However, this problem is rare these days. Go to another dealer and ask them to take a good look at the power steering unit.

PS: I can't believe your dealer tried to muffle the noise! Did they use a fiberglass wool or a rubber blanket?
Old 10-25-2005, 03:28 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Just to follow up with similar issue with the Bimmer and MB service( I used to own a bimmer). Most mechanics these days are parts replacers, NOT problems solvers. They keep replacing parts until they hit the right ones. Sad but true.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:22 PM

2003 E500
Others have already mentioned it, but I just wanted to chime in and say that your problem sounds like the problem I had--especially when the engine is cold, and especially when doing slow turns, you hear this grating sound. When I took it in to have it fixed, the service department instantly diagnosed the problem just by hearing me pull into the service area. It involved some kind of small leak in the ball joints or somewhere in the steering system.
Do get it taken care of, because the sound only gets worse.