E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Wow, a Used CDI Sold over $64K

Old 10-31-2005, 05:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
Wow, a Used CDI Sold over $64K

This was a shock although the car was nicely appointed:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...QQcmdZViewItem

Most CDI's I've seen that sold were pretty much strippers (no Xenons, Premium, never full leather) and they go in the upper $40K's. This makes the earlier Designo purchase a fellow poster made a real bargain.

The CDI has got to be unreal on the resale market. It almost makes me want to go for another ED!

Last edited by TPAbnz; 10-31-2005 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
I thought of playing the ED game but the sales tax kills it

Here's my idea: (I have a bunch of FF airline credit for free travel to Germany).

1) Buy car soon as it comes out, on Euro delivery (2005 CDI, purchase date would be April or March of 2004).

2) Drive car until about now, and put for sale. (still an '05 and the year is still 2005 so the psychology is that its still a "current year" car)

3) go get an '06 and do it again.

.....always drive a fresh car, never pay for tires, brakes, or even an oil change provided you stay under 13K miles.

Kind of like a lease.

The only problem is most states have pretty steep sales taxes that would make my scheme unfeasable. Not to mention de-contenting and the risk of getting a lemon. And, soon, no more iron block I6 diesels, soon to be replaced with new-design aluminum V6 (no thanks...hope BMW imports the awesome twin-turbo I6 535d soon).

Last edited by cdiken; 10-31-2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Well, there must be something to what you are saying.

I just had my car in for service last week and I specifically asked for a CDI loaner since there is no snow here yet and I really wanted to torture myself. Instead of the CDI I got a new ML 350. Well it was nice, but I really wanted to show a few people how well the CDI runs and that I am not crazy for still wanting a diesel.

So, to make this long story shorter, I asked my dealer why they strayed from the AWD fleet of loaner cars. They said that they order as many CDIs as they can get, use them up to a specific mileage as a loaner car and then they sell them to California. They apparently make money once you account all the depreciation and their service business.

All I can say is this; perhaps MBUSA will realize that these cars are selling quite well and that they should both increase production for the US and offer CDI 4-Matics! Even though I am totally sold on the CDI and I have an Audi Quattro, I will NOT own a RWD car here in Colorado again. Porsche excluded since it is a fair weather car. CDI or not, I am spoiled by the wonderful 4-Matic.

But, if I still lived in Florida (and thank God I left hurricane alley), I would have a CDI.

Steve
Old 10-31-2005, 08:17 PM

CDI 4-matic exists

http://www.carfolio.com/specificatio.../id/?id=130196

http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/dccom...-0-0-0,00.html

Any idea on if/when they will "cross the pond?"
Old 10-31-2005, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
I have 6800 miles on mind and already had a guy from california email me with a $58K offer cash. But I then would have to spend more than that to replace it with an '06 with same options, so I said no.

I can seriosuly see (if CA doesn't get diesels for '07) getting in the high 40's for this car in another two years and getting into a S400CDI!
Old 10-31-2005, 08:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
And on my last service visit (my car crossed the magic number of miles), the dealer again offered to even swap for a new CLK Cabriolet from California. Who's making the money on this.

Since CDI's are readily available on European Delivery at 7% off list (plus whatever else you negotiate), I don't understand the apparent market frenzy. BTW, the dealer hasn't had a new CDI for 6 weeks (yet they are ED orderable?).
Old 10-31-2005, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by cdiken
I don't know if I should thank you for these links! My mouth was watering . If they become available I might take the plunge and order a fully loaded one for ED.

On a side note, even though this CDI is 10% more powerful and have more torque than the current CDI, it seems to be geared like the current European CDIs (the inline 6). I mean you had mentioned that the rear end ratio on the US models was better for acceleration and the European models were designed for fuel economy. As it is, the acceleration on this E320 CDI 4-Matic is at par with my current gasoline E320 4-M. I am at about 7.2 or 7.3 seconds at sea level. I wonder how this CDI will feel if it is set for 7.5 sec. I hope they gear them down like they did the RWD inline 6 CDIs.

I have a few friends who have already put bids on my current E 320 4-Matic, so I don't think that I would have to take a bath too bad. I might have to drive the car straight to MB NL after the ED and have some things fitted that might be very nice.

However, my dealer insists that MBUSA will not introduce the 4-matic in the US. They say that the CDI market is already a niche, but this was before the $3.00/gal prices. They recently also said that MBUSA is waiting and will not introduce the new CDI ML or any other model until they have the fuel issue here solved. What have you all heard? In the mean time, Glauser Mercedes dealer has CDIs to be had and a bunch in a loaner car fleet.

Steve
Old 10-31-2005, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4-matic is perfect for the CDI, it's too bad they couldn't get it to work on the I6. I'm still weary of an aluminum V6 Diesel. Time will tell.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CE750
4-matic is perfect for the CDI, it's too bad they couldn't get it to work on the I6. I'm still weary of an aluminum V6 Diesel. Time will tell.

I know! I would also be a bit worried about MB's new engine since they have had issues. This is one of the reasons I am very happy with the second to last year of the E320 and not the E350. I am NOT about to be a guinea pig for MB again .

My family has had A LOT OF GERMAN CARS! When the 380, 450 and 560 V8s came out, they were all aluminum. They have proven to be true work horses, but. The 380 V8 was knows for timing chain issues, the 450 V8 was totally underpowered and the 560 still is known to need a complete valve job after about 100k miles. Otherwise these were good engines. My 300E was supposed to be great, it was a 91 and it was first built in 1985 in Europe. However, MB knew about head gasket issues and kept building engines with the incorrect gasket materials. My 300E needed a new head gasket at 40k and then again at 66k. My dealer in Tampa took care of both issues and I did not pay a penny, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. This little problem also could take years to show up! The V6 E320, was known for oil consumption due to the lack of use of synthetic oil and still using the FSS computer, then they (along with a bunch of other MB engines) had bad harmonic balancers that could destroy the engine upon failure. I know by now that my E320 from 2004 should have all the bugs out of it by now.

Germans have a specific term for this "Kinderkrankeiten" (plural form) which means childhood diseases. They mention this on new models all the time! For all you know, the 320 CDI motor is a ticking time bomb too! All this being said, I feel as if MB has been testing aluminum blocks for more than 20 years and they know what they are doing (I think or would like to think).

I might also wait and then get an S class V8 CDI and keep the E320. Who knows? I first need to finish building my new house!

Steve
Old 10-31-2005, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E500
How much would a brand new CDI with all those options cost? I don't know and not feel like looking it up. The auction got a premium because of it's rarety or it's actually a good price? Well, excluding the great fuel economy at that price he can get a more powerful E500 and brand new too.

Last edited by Dvinn; 10-31-2005 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:11 AM

2005 SL500, Black on Stone
Originally Posted by SAguirre
I know! I would also be a bit worried about MB's new engine since they have had issues. This is one of the reasons I am very happy with the second to last year of the E320 and not the E350. I am NOT about to be a guinea pig for MB again .

My family has had A LOT OF GERMAN CARS! When the 380, 450 and 560 V8s came out, they were all aluminum. They have proven to be true work horses, but. The 380 V8 was knows for timing chain issues, the 450 V8 was totally underpowered and the 560 still is known to need a complete valve job after about 100k miles. Otherwise these were good engines. My 300E was supposed to be great, it was a 91 and it was first built in 1985 in Europe. However, MB knew about head gasket issues and kept building engines with the incorrect gasket materials. My 300E needed a new head gasket at 40k and then again at 66k. My dealer in Tampa took care of both issues and I did not pay a penny, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. This little problem also could take years to show up! The V6 E320, was known for oil consumption due to the lack of use of synthetic oil and still using the FSS computer, then they (along with a bunch of other MB engines) had bad harmonic balancers that could destroy the engine upon failure. I know by now that my E320 from 2004 should have all the bugs out of it by now.

Germans have a specific term for this "Kinderkrankeiten" (plural form) which means childhood diseases. They mention this on new models all the time! For all you know, the 320 CDI motor is a ticking time bomb too! All this being said, I feel as if MB has been testing aluminum blocks for more than 20 years and they know what they are doing (I think or would like to think).

I might also wait and then get an S class V8 CDI and keep the E320. Who knows? I first need to finish building my new house!

Steve
SAguire,

I agree with your statements. When I purchased my '05 E320, I struggled to decide between it and the already released E350. I drove both. Discount was greater on the E320. It also had the premium and appearance packages, both of which I wanted. And on the 05, the drive dynamic seats were included in the premium package, and I really like these seats.

The struggle was around older (tried and true) technology in the 320 motor and 5g transmission vs. the 350 motor and 7g transmission. I drove both and the truth is, in everyday driving, the difference is negligible at best. It's when driven hard that the E350 shows that it's more powerful and modern, but again, it's not a huge difference in my opinion, and I'm picky. Where I didn't like the 350 was with the 7g transmission. I personally think it shifts too often and noticed it RIGHT AWAY when test driving it. My feeling is that if Mercedes was going to do a 7g, why not do a CVT? Too many gears....

I know I'm in the minority here on this board....but agree with you. In this instance, I wanted tried and true, safe technology that I knew would run forever. I felt the 320 motor and 5g transmission would do so. I have read a lot on this board and others about the problems with the 7g transmission. So far, though, the 350 motor seems to be well done.

Truth is, I question my decision almost each and every time I drive my E320. But I also kick myself for not waiting one more month to have gotten the $6,000 discount they offered on the E500 in June. If I had known that was coming, I would not have bought the E320 in May.

Jazzphile
Old 11-01-2005, 03:08 AM

'97 E320
This makes the earlier Designo purchase a fellow poster made a real bargain.
You mean this one? heh heh...

Raj
'97 e320
'05 designo e320 cdi
'85 535i
Old 11-01-2005, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dvinn
How much would a brand new CDI with all those options cost? I don't know and not feel like looking it up. The auction got a premium because of it's rarety or it's actually a good price? Well, excluding the great fuel economy at that price he can get a more powerful E500 and brand new too.
E500 while a "higher" car than an E320 CDI is not as in demand, and as such the resale is much lower, and the discounts at the dealers much steeper.. I would have been able to get an E500 for $7000 off back in June when I had to pay close to full price on my CDI (with strong negotiations).

Price is a bit skewed, as if you could order a CDI equipped like an E500.. full leather, Airmatic DC, 17" wheels, Brembo front brakes, etc.. the CDI would retail for more than an E500.. so the price of the E500 has little to do with the engine, and more to do with the standard features which are all options on the CDI. I am quite certain the CDI engine is probably more expensive than the V8... Diesel engines are generally 25% more expensive than gas, due to their added compression demanding stronger construction.

It also bares noting that lease residuals on the CDI are bested only by the Mini when I checked on leasing my car.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:59 PM

....and the Mini will eventually tank on the used market

like the PT Cruiser, "new" VW bug, etc.

What the hell does "PT" stand for anyway, in the PT cruiser?
Old 11-01-2005, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
PT stands for: Personal Transportation. For Real!
Old 11-02-2005, 04:56 AM

All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
E320 CDI 4-Matic

I have very little doubt that MB will introduce these cars into the US market when the new Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel fuel is required. Beginning in Sept 06, there will be a requirement for, as I remember, 80% of the stations to have the ULSD fuel. The V6 Diesel needs this fuel, as it is equipped with the particulate filter. So, I guess the MY 07 cars will have the V6 Diesel and 4 Matic.

4-Matic is great if you really have to battle snow. I have not had any problems in snow with my RWD cars, equipped with Bridgestone Blizzaks.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm
I have very little doubt that MB will introduce these cars into the US market when the new Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel fuel is required. Beginning in Sept 06, there will be a requirement for, as I remember, 80% of the stations to have the ULSD fuel. The V6 Diesel needs this fuel, as it is equipped with the particulate filter. So, I guess the MY 07 cars will have the V6 Diesel and 4 Matic.

4-Matic is great if you really have to battle snow. I have not had any problems in snow with my RWD cars, equipped with Bridgestone Blizzaks.
Lets hope that this is true! I might keep my W211 for a while until I see what the new W212 will look like though.

I have a 4-Matic with Bridgestone Blizzaks WS 50 and I find the car to be amazing. My Audi S6 has Michelin Pilot winter Sport snow tires and they are OK. My Porsche does not have winter tires.

Just because you have a 4-Matic, it does not mean you can do without winter tires if you are in an area where snow is abundant and sometimes crippling. People with all season tires really have a false sense of security, RWD or 4-Matic, all the W211 stop the same in the snow (I am not saying that an AMG and a regular E220 CDI will stop in the same way, but all W211 have 4-wheel brakes which kind of puts them at a par weather they are RWD or AWD).

Steve
Old 11-03-2005, 03:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm
It's now for October 15th, 2006. They've extended it. From Fleetowner.com

EPA announced that it will extend the transition period for retail diesel outlets to provide ultra-low-sulfur diesel (ULSD) from September 1 to October 15, 2006. During this time, the sulfur limit for on-highway diesel fuel is 22 ppm; the 15-ppm requirement goes into effect October 16, 2006.

This news item was a little scary too.

NPC Says ULSD Diesel Rule Will Disrupt Supply
A new report by the National Petroleum Council (NPC) predicts significant supply disruptions due to new ultra-low-sulfur diesel (ULSD) regulations set to take effect in 2006. The NPC is a federal advisory committee whose members come from the ranks of private industry and report directly to the U.S. Secretary of Energy. The findings of the report are significant because they differ from the prevailing view of a seamless transition to ULSD held by the major refiners and echo concerns of potential supply disruptions repeatedly expressed by terminal operators and petroleum marketers.

The report finds that widespread contamination of ULSD from other fuels transported or stored in pipelines, storage tanks and transport vehicles is likely to occur during the four-year transition period to the ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel. The NPC fears that cross contamination could lead to large volumes of ULSD becoming unusable, thus reducing overall supply.

In addition, the council predicts further disruptions as suppliers along the distribution chain reduce the number of diesel fuel blends they handle in order to prevent cross contamination. The bottom line is that there will be less diesel fuel available on the market after the transition to ULSD begins on June 1, 2006. It is not clear at this early stage what, if any, impact the report will have on the status of the rule. The Environmental Protection Agency has in the past largely ignored cross-contamination and supply warnings from the industry.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:41 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
2005 CDIs Discounted

As of Nov. 1, my dealer had two CDIs which were $5000 off, as all other 05 models are.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the market for CDI's in in the 6500 miles and older segment.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:53 AM

Harley-Davidson
Here's my idea: (I have a bunch of FF airline credit for free travel to Germany).

1) Buy car soon as it comes out, on Euro delivery (2005 CDI, purchase date would be April or March of 2004).

2) Drive car until about now, and put for sale. (still an '05 and the year is still 2005 so the psychology is that its still a "current year" car)

3) go get an '06 and do it again.

.....always drive a fresh car, never pay for tires, brakes, or even an oil change provided you stay under 13K miles.

Kind of like a lease.

The only problem is most states have pretty steep sales taxes that would make my scheme unfeasable. Not to mention de-contenting and the risk of getting a lemon. And, soon, no more iron block I6 diesels, soon to be replaced with new-design aluminum V6 (no thanks...hope BMW imports the awesome twin-turbo I6 535d soon).
I have been thinking the same as you. My CDI has 7,000 miles on it, and we have NO sales tax here in Oregon. You make a good point about de-contenting, however. I don't know if I could give up my Drive Dynamic seats. What a bummer that they are no longer available on ANY E-class.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
make it a wagon/saloon and ya gotta deal!
Old 11-17-2005, 09:39 AM

1998 ML320; 2005 Audi A6; 2006 Honda Pilot
Off what?

Originally Posted by carpersn
As of Nov. 1, my dealer had two CDIs which were $5000 off, as all other 05 models are.
$5000 off invoice or MSRP? I thought the only bonus money was the $6000 on 05 E500's.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Calcio
$5000 off invoice or MSRP? I thought the only bonus money was the $6000 on 05 E500's.
I called three dealers and all said there are no major incentives on the CDI..

One had a 2005 that he said he can let go at invoice..

(phoenix market)