Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multiple
Consumer Report Gives Thumbs Down on German Cars

Another indication that German imports are losing to the Japanese imports:

http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.as...c=LP+Passenger
Old 11-16-2005, 07:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It's only been a few months since Mercedes got an engineer at the reigns. Still some time to go until a full turn around is complete.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:35 PM

Just think...less people will buy them and we'll all have collector's editions on our hands!

Consumer Reports is pathetic...it rated Dyson vacuums as sucking (no pun intended), yet I continue to think my Dyson kicks major league butt over any other pathetic vacuum out there. ...and yes, I do the vacuuming in my house.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by PHXATC
Consumer Reports is pathetic...it rated Dyson vacuums as sucking (no pun intended)
Have they even tested the good stuff like Lindhaus or Miele?
Old 11-16-2005, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by BudC
Have they even tested the good stuff like Lindhaus or Miele?
Can't say as if I've ever seen them test the biggies. Funny, I never see them testing beer.......

It's easy to appeal to the masses by testing everything under the sun. Kinda like a jack of all trades and master of none. I'm not saying their testing or revelations they print are all out of whack, but sometimes you have to take a walk on your own to figure out what is "best" for your individual life.

Some people quote this thing like the Bible and when their products breaks and they turn into a malcontent, then what?

Quality and reliability are such subjective things.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by rjm

Still trolling?????? Damn bro your a real ***...... Like were going to hurry and sell our MB's.... Just think what a boring world this would be if everyone was so smart as to by MB. I love being the minority... or should I say smarter
Old 11-17-2005, 12:10 AM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Still trolling?????? Damn bro your a real ***...... Like were going to hurry and sell our MB's.... Just think what a boring world this would be if everyone was so smart as to by MB. I love being the minority... or should I say smarter
I second that!
Old 11-17-2005, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
Originally Posted by rjm

yeah but people don't buy German cars because they want to own the best built car or the most reliable car or a low maintenance car
Old 11-17-2005, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by mick1
yeah but people don't buy German cars because they want to own the best built car or the most reliable car or a low maintenance car
Well, that's exactly why I buy Mercedes and after more than 30 years of total ownership they haven't disappointed, not even the E320.

The problems that CU said I'd have with my 190D never showed up in 17 years of ownership. The problems that CU said I'd have with my 300E haven't showed up in 14 years and counting. The problems CU said I'd have with my 2004 E320 haven't shown up yet.

Of course I've been accused of being in denial by a poster on this forum so maybe I'll live long enough to finally realize that Mercedes products truly are crap
Old 11-17-2005, 10:58 AM

2004 E500
Um, shouldn't these reasons be precisely WHY one would buy a car? (m)

I would think that quality, reliability and maintenance are all major factors in the buying decision. Imagine what would happen if the germans had driving dynamics and all of these things as well!
Old 11-17-2005, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
hey RJM... what was that you were saying about the reliability of the new CDI's?

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...86#post1353586
Old 11-17-2005, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
You will find that the Editors' opinions of cars Consumers Reports tests is almost always the opposite of what the actual owners of these same vehicles report in THEIR OWN experience. In other words the OWNERS of these cars like them after living with the in daily driving, the Editors dislike them after test driving them for a short while.

Also bear in mind that the owners are paying for their use of the cars, so we should be even more "picky" than someone who gets the car for a couple of weeks to drive.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just browsed a Consumer Reports magazine and the E did quite well in it... I saw MANY cars with worse ratings.. Some Japanese.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:30 PM
rjm

Multiple
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
You will find that the Editors' opinions of cars Consumers Reports tests is almost always the opposite of what the actual owners of these same vehicles report in THEIR OWN experience. In other words the OWNERS of these cars like them after living with the in daily driving, the Editors dislike them after test driving them for a short while.

Consumer Reports on automobiles are based on OWNER'S experiences with their cars...the Editor merely compiles the results and reports them. They send out surveys to new car owners and ask them for their experiences with their new cars. These ratings are NOT based on the Editor's opinions....they are based soley on the OWNER'S reports.

"we've gathered responses on more than 1 million vehicles from Consumer Reports and ConsumerReports.org subscribers, the most we've ever received. These results underpin the most comprehensive reliability data you will find anywhere."
Old 11-17-2005, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
Originally Posted by JWS3
I would think that quality, reliability and maintenance are all major factors in the buying decision. Imagine what would happen if the germans had driving dynamics and all of these things as well!
Well, if that is so, everyone in the world would drive a Honda Civic. They don't even need to the spend extra bucks to get a Lexus because i don't think even a refined Lexus could outlast a Civic and a Civic would get better gas mileage and its maintenance cost is much lower.

But some people would drive German cars, British cars, Italian cars, etc... that cost more than a Lexus and have higher operating costs.

Proof that quality, reliability, and low maintenance cost are not the deciding factors to some people when buying car, especially a German car.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY

LOL .. You hit d'nail on d'head HELL ONA HARLEY ! I remember when the so called troll left us for riceus He is trying to make himself feel better now buy bomb-throwing (maybe buyers remorse rjm)

Here is thread from a an actual benz and lexus owner, notice he liked the leather better(which he said himself would probably be bad long term) in the lexus but the Benz has where it counts like the smooth ride ! Have fun in your bouncy riceus !

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210/126976-compare-2002-e320-2002-lexus-gs300.html

Last edited by Vader55; 11-17-2005 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

rjm... I don't think anyone is going to debate with you whether a MB is as reliable as a Lexus (Toyota) or other Japanese cars.. that's not the issue.. it's whether it's as nice of a car.

I suspect if you did a poll on a non-biased website (as I did on one of my Apple message boards) you'll find the Germans are king still..
Old 11-18-2005, 08:20 AM

2004 E500
I happen to agree with you. But..... My point remains, (m)

Well, if that is so, everyone in the world would drive a Honda Civic. They don't even need to the spend extra bucks to get a Lexus because i don't think even a refined Lexus could outlast a Civic and a Civic would get better gas mileage and its maintenance cost is much lower.

But some people would drive German cars, British cars, Italian cars, etc... that cost more than a Lexus and have higher operating costs.

Proof that quality, reliability, and low maintenance cost are not the deciding factors to some people when buying car, especially a German car.
however, that the mere fact Lexus has gained the market share it has, never mind the sheer scope of debate we see right here, is indicative of a seriouos issue. MB has been withdrawing from its credibility account for too long. Time to make a few deposits.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

however, that the mere fact Lexus has gained the market share it has, never mind the sheer scope of debate we see right here, is indicative of a seriouos issue. MB has been withdrawing from its credibility account for too long. Time to make a few deposits.
I made this point a while back, and it's valid..

The fact that today, we are discussing whether a Toyota product is as good or "better" than a Mercedes Benz is disgraceful. 20 years ago the idea of making such a comparison would have been laughable!
Old 11-18-2005, 09:09 AM
rjm

Multiple
Originally Posted by benzondubz
...maybe buyers remorse rjm?
Yea....right! Like when I log in to see if there is possibly any indication that Mercedes might be trying to improve their product, and I read on the 1st few (most recent) pages complaints from owners regarding:

Transmissions failing to shift properly and are balky...

Air conditioning systems that won't blow cold air and MB can't fix the problem...

When a MB dealer refuses to do a TSB for a car that clearly has a "twitching steering wheel" because the Service Advisor says that is "normal."

When MB puts vinyl seats in cars and calls it "leather"...

When keyless entry systems fail to work...

When there are multiple complaints of transmissions lurching at 50-60 mph because of possible "torque converters locking up"...

"Leather" seats picking up dye from passenger's clothing...

CDI owners reporting diesel fumes inside the car and the dealer tells them this is normal...

Multiple owners reporting Power Loss and Limp-Home Mode...

Owners complaining of ultra-high depreciation of their cars after a couple of years...

Yea, benzondubz, when I read about these experiences from owners on the first few pages of threads, I really starting feeling that remorse. Is it really any surprise to you that the Japaneese cars are being rated higher in consumer polls????
Old 11-18-2005, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

rjm we may complain but we're still here...
Old 11-18-2005, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500

Your over-analizing..... rjm is a troll and a **** disturber and this thread like most others from him are his handy work.... Nothing more nothing less.
Let me go to a lexus forum and post how good a MB is and I'll be respected as much there too...
Old 11-18-2005, 09:23 AM
rjm

Multiple
Originally Posted by CE750
I made this point a while back, and it's valid..

The fact that today, we are discussing whether a Toyota product is as good or "better" than a Mercedes Benz is disgraceful. 20 years ago the idea of making such a comparison would have been laughable!
You are absolutely right....20 years ago Mercedes built the finest automobiles in the world. In the 1980's, several of my friends were flying over to Germany, picking up a 300 diesel, driving it for 2 years, and selling it for MORE than they had paid for it in Germany. They were tremendous cars and had a worldwide reputation for excellence. Sadly, they have really dropped the ball in the past 20 years....being rated 28 out of 38 in the JD Powers Dependibility and Reliability ratings is disgraceful for MB. They need to address the problems they face, and return to those "wonderful days of yesteryear."
Old 11-18-2005, 09:27 AM
rjm

Multiple
HELL ONA HARLEY:
If you can't make an intelligent response without name-calling and profanity, why even bother to post?

"It's better to remain quiet and be thought ignorant, than to open your mouth, and remove all doubt."

Last edited by rjm; 11-18-2005 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:01 AM

06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
Consumers Report has the "cars as appliances" mentality. To them, the greatest car would be a stainless steel Camry that cost $1000 bucks.

Having said that, I think that car companies SHOULD BE PUNISHED and EXPOSED for creating unsafe or unreliable cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Consumer Report Gives Thumbs Down on German Cars