E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Tranny problem???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E500 CLK320
Originally Posted by gaazmon
so just got car back from service c at my mechanic. he says the transmission computer needs replacing fml
The transmission control module?
Old 05-05-2010, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by SZMB
The transmission control module?
yup, that's the one
Old 05-05-2010, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine started to do this again!!!! The only thing they do is recalibrate or reset the software and works for only awhile. Great...what to do?
Old 05-05-2010, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 6hift
mine started to do this again!!!! The only thing they do is recalibrate or reset the software and works for only awhile. Great...what to do?
ya, the reset thing only works temporarily.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:04 PM

What the hell are we suppose to do now that warranty is expired...It freaking frustrating driving the car now. You expect it just to glide over the streets but now it feels as if someone is tugging the car back and fourth. Why can't mercedes just fix the god damn problem in the beginning!!
Old 05-06-2010, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 6hift
What the hell are we suppose to do now that warranty is expired...It freaking frustrating driving the car now. You expect it just to glide over the streets but now it feels as if someone is tugging the car back and fourth. Why can't mercedes just fix the god damn problem in the beginning!!
i know what you mean and God knows if this really will fix the problem once and for all. i don't want to shell out $900 for a new TCU and end up still giving me problems. i drove my father's 02 CL500 the other day and man it drives so well. the tranny just works so smoothly vs my e320 the thing drops 2 gears sometimes, won't up shift, delays, hesitation around 1500 rpm, hard shifts, doesn't know when to shift, etc etc etc i'm so furious with this car. i have to drive 4 miles each way through canyon driving and my car gets so vs the CL500 is fine, and so is all our other cars. and don't say it's the V6 vs V8 cause I've driven i4's, i6's, and i4 turbos and they drive just fine on the route. i had a 2011 Hyundai sonata rental recently and it drove so well through the 4 miles. i'm so furious after all the dealer trips, resets, a new tranny, etc etc that i still have problems. my friend made a comment today while we were at dinner if i got that "jerking" problem fixed since one time he was in the car and was like "wtf was that!?!?" I'm so furious that a car that i spent 6 months shopping for, that i waited a year and a half to buy, that after weighing all my options i went with, and it has never driven right in my book. Driving a MB this nice (especially as aesthetically good looking as my specific one IMO), it's so embarrassing when it does this sh*t my last car was an 05 chrysler 300 that would (literally), after making a sharp u-turn or sharp left 3 point turn, not move as if the car was in neutral and not move with the rpms just flying even though the car was in D then after like 3 seconds finally kick and grab gear. i must just have bad luck with automatics and i see now why people buy manual cars and I'm seriously considering buying one for my next car.

ppppphhhh, sorry guys i just really needed to vent my anger out
Old 05-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by gaazmon
i know what you mean and God knows if this really will fix the problem once and for all. i don't want to shell out $900 for a new TCU and end up still giving me problems. i drove my father's 02 CL500 the other day and man it drives so well. the tranny just works so smoothly vs my e320 the thing drops 2 gears sometimes, won't up shift, delays, hesitation around 1500 rpm, hard shifts, doesn't know when to shift, etc etc etc i'm so furious with this car. i have to drive 4 miles each way through canyon driving and my car gets so vs the CL500 is fine, and so is all our other cars. and don't say it's the V6 vs V8 cause I've driven i4's, i6's, and i4 turbos and they drive just fine on the route. i had a 2011 Hyundai sonata rental recently and it drove so well through the 4 miles. i'm so furious after all the dealer trips, resets, a new tranny, etc etc that i still have problems. my friend made a comment today while we were at dinner if i got that "jerking" problem fixed since one time he was in the car and was like "wtf was that!?!?" I'm so furious that a car that i spent 6 months shopping for, that i waited a year and a half to buy, that after weighing all my options i went with, and it has never driven right in my book. Driving a MB this nice (especially as aesthetically good looking as my specific one IMO), it's so embarrassing when it does this sh*t my last car was an 05 chrysler 300 that would (literally), after making a sharp u-turn or sharp left 3 point turn, not move as if the car was in neutral and not move with the rpms just flying even though the car was in D then after like 3 seconds finally kick and grab gear. i must just have bad luck with automatics and i see now why people buy manual cars and I'm seriously considering buying one for my next car.

ppppphhhh, sorry guys i just really needed to vent my anger out

My fried did the exact same thing and was like WTF!! when the car was jerking. I've tooken the car in multiple times and found no glycol contamination and it's ridiculous how they can't find a solution to this problem.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:46 AM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E500 CLK320
MB definitely should step up and fix all these well-known issues for free in these cars that cost $50k-$70k. MB does not design or manufacture the radiators or those unreliable electronic components, but they should have done a better job in quality control, screening out potential bad components. I work in the electronic industry and have dealed with European and Japanese vendors. One big difference I noticed is that the Japanese are extremely cautious in gathering and looking over the test & reliability data, and often times they demand to have their own set of test methods. It's not easy to get a design win into a Japanese company -- it takes a lot of work and patience. Sure, Japanese auto makers also get their electrical components from the same venor, e.g. Bosch, but they have very strict quality control and have their own standard in screening out potential bad parts.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SZMB
MB definitely should step up and fix all these well-known issues for free in these cars that cost $50k-$70k. MB does not design or manufacture the radiators or those unreliable electronic components, but they should have done a better job in quality control, screening out potential bad components. I work in the electronic industry and have dealed with European and Japanese vendors. One big difference I noticed is that the Japanese are extremely cautious in gathering and looking over the test & reliability data, and often times they demand to have their own set of test methods. It's not easy to get a design win into a Japanese company -- it takes a lot of work and patience. Sure, Japanese auto makers also get their electrical components from the same venor, e.g. Bosch, but they have very strict quality control and have their own standard in screening out potential bad parts.
exactly. i know what you mean in regards to QC. i.e. GM and toyota buy some stuff from the same suppliers. they interviewed suppliers saying the items toyota would return back because it didn't pass their quality control, GM would buy just cause it was at a discount.

i mean to be honest, i love this car besides for the tranny/driveability issues. i mean the exterior is so seductive, love the options i found on this car, in night light it stands out amazingly, love the way it handles with airmatic for such a heavy car, beautiful interior and layout. the only other real gripes i have is that I've noticed the engine is quite noisy/loud for a Benz vs our 02 CL500 has a nice deep not too loud tone to it. i've driven 350's and the engine sounds much quieter and more deep vs loud and higher pitched like the 320.